Reload this Page >

Nursing in France

Nursing in France

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough
Default Nursing in France

Hello there folks!!!

Just a query about the potential opportunities for a UK nurse working in France. Does anyone know anything about where I should look/contact? I've got an extensive breadth of experience-a District Nursing Sister in the UK but currently living in NZ-going back to the UK in July.

I just adore France. God knows why it took me 12,000 miles to realise I should have pursued my original dream instead of coming to NZ!!!

I'd be grateful for ANY advice. I've even thought about teaching English.
Methinks given the fact I was the proud owner of a red Citroen 2CV ("Ruby"-yes, she had a name!!!), with Edith Piaf blaring out of the rooftop, would suggest I'm a potential candidate for the place. What do you think? Hah hah hah!!!

Honestly, I'd be grateful for any help. Additionally, did any of you guys undertake conversational French? I've got an "H" Grade (I'm Scottish in case you're wondering here) in French but quite frankly, the best I could do now is ask for 100g of mushroom pate and a glass of white wine!!!!
Cheers!!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

javajive will become famous soon enoughjavajive will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nursing in France

Originally Posted by Tayberry
Hello there folks!!!
I just adore France. God knows why it took me 12,000 miles to realise I should have pursued my original dream instead of coming to NZ!!!
I was born in NZ and lived there until my early 20s. I took coming back to NZ after living in Europe for me realise I could never live in NZ again.

Regarding nursing qualifiactions I do believe that EU is trying to standardize things, but not sure how far they got. Ask a UK nursing body. I would expect that you would need very fluent French to work in Nursing in France. Unless you can corner the expat market. There are so may older people sell up and moving to France that maybe you could work in an English speaking care home.

The English teaching option may be a good idea. Get a TELF qualification.

Regarding language courses I would recommend Alliance Francaise.
I did a stint with them in Auckland while waiting for my get out of jail card

Last time I visited NZ I thought thank God I did go.
So go for it, may not be easy but if you are determined you'll find a way.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by javajive
I was born in NZ and lived there until my early 20s. I took coming back to NZ after living in Europe for me realise I could never live in NZ again.

Regarding nursing qualifiactions I do believe that EU is trying to standardize things, but not sure how far they got. Ask a UK nursing body. I would expect that you would need very fluent French to work in Nursing in France. Unless you can corner the expat market. There are so may older people sell up and moving to France that maybe you could work in an English speaking care home.

The English teaching option may be a good idea. Get a TELF qualification.

Regarding language courses I would recommend Alliance Francaise.
I did a stint with them in Auckland while waiting for my get out of jail card

Last time I visited NZ I thought thank God I did go.
So go for it, may not be easy but if you are determined you'll find a way.
Hi there JavaJive!!! Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question!! As you can see, it's obviously taken me hours to wade through the responses to my question!!!

Actually, I am going to contact the Nursing and Midwifery Council and the Royal College of Nursing when I get back to the UK to find out about the opportunities of nursing in France. I'm not overly hopeful so I'm still going to continue with the teaching English malarkey. I'm planning to enrol in conversationalist French classes too.

Java, had you studied French at school and how have you developed your skills in the lingo? Also, can I be nosy and ask why you'd never go back to NZ to live? I think you are the first Kiwi I've encountered who's actually said that!!! I've had a nice time in NZ-nice being the operative word, but I think for a single person wanting more of a social life, NZ aint the place to go. My Kiwi friend, who lived in London for 4 years, said the same thing. She's bored being back in Auckland and she's wanting to return to the UK. I think we both agree NZ is the place for families and those wanting to retire. It's a beautiful country but then, I think the UK (Scotland in particular) is a lovely place too. I suppose I just feel I'm not right for NZ and NZ isn't right for me.

Hope you respond!!! Take care and many thanks, Iona
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:45 am
Just Joined

chalice is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Nursing in France

Hello there folks!!!

Just a query about the potential opportunities for a UK nurse working in France. Does anyone know anything about where I should look/contact? I've got an extensive breadth of experience-a District Nursing Sister in the UK but currently living in NZ-going back to the UK in July.

Methinks given the fact I was the proud owner of a red Citroen 2CV ("Ruby"-yes, she had a name!!!), with Edith Piaf blaring out of the rooftop, would suggest I'm a potential candidate for the place. What do you think? Hah hah hah!!!

Honestly, I'd be grateful for any help. Additionally, did any of you guys undertake conversational French? I've got an "H" Grade (I'm Scottish in case you're wondering here) in French but quite frankly, the best I could do now is ask for 100g of mushroom pate and a glass of white wine!!!!
Cheers!!
HI there
I am a qualified nurse living in France
Unfortunately, having had a break from the stress of the job I'm in two minds whether to try it out here. First off, from what the locals say, its well paid because there arn't many nurses, shock horror But you will need to speak French well, which I am struggling with. Also alot of the medications are different, so the normal memory test of matching pharmaceutical/brand names is further complicated. There are alot of elderly expats about so there maybe a niche there if thats your thing? Anyway keep me posted with any info you find out and I'll return the favour. Perhaps you should move out and we could start a home for retired nurses! I've always wanted to become bell happy although the inconti pads here leave alot to be desired so you'll have to bring a car load with you.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

I'm not a nurse and I'm not in NZ!

I just wanted to say 'Hi'.

I'm in Oz at the moment, but wish I'd stood my ground and insisted on France, mais C'est La Vie!

We are planning to get there at the end of the year after travelling the long way round!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about

Hello there folks!!!

Cheers!!
I am no nurse and I don't speak french but I do live in France. Near Paris is the American hospital you could try them for some advice, sorry can't find the tel no, also The Hertford British hospital 0146 392222. Having said this, I think you will still need to be fluent in French. We live near paris and there are also many English speaking schools which have a school nurse. Hope this is of some help. Personally I can't imagine why anybody would swap NZ for France as I can't wait to leave, (27 days and counting)

Good luck
Old Apr 29th 2005, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Ann-that was kind of you to forward that information. I'm going to have to probably reconsider my plans with regards to nursing in France. I think the language barrier is going to be a MAMMOTH issue. Not to worry!!!

Ann, it sounds like you've had a bad time. What have you not enjoyed about France? At the end of the day, it's all relative isn't it? I can't understand why you'd want to leave there and vice versa!!! Where are you moving to?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

I think Annn is moving to my home City!

Welcome Annn.
Old May 2nd 2005, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Nursing in France

Thank you Ann-that was kind of you to forward that information. I'm going to have to probably reconsider my plans with regards to nursing in France. I think the language barrier is going to be a MAMMOTH issue. Not to worry!!!

Ann, it sounds like you've had a bad time. What have you not enjoyed about France? At the end of the day, it's all relative isn't it? I can't understand why you'd want to leave there and vice versa!!! Where are you moving to?
I would'nt say i;ve had a bad time, it just is'nt for me. There are many reasons for being less happy than I should be. We are not in France through choice, rather because of hubbys work. Europe is not the place for us. We have lived in Germany also. My biggest dislike here is customer service, there is'nt any. This doesn't seem to bother the French but it bothers me. Now having said this It is'nt much better in the UK i notice. Bare in mind I haven't lived in the UK for 12 years I think, so I see It as a visitor. As has been said I am moving to Adelaide, I have heard people complain about Australia, but for us this is it, it will be our last move, our choice. Everyone has their Ideals, I think you have to experience things first hand yourself to make up your mind.
My biggest piece of advice to anybody moving to a country that you do not speak the language is not to assume you will learn it quickly, you probably won't, and don't under estimate what a problem it can be. Think of all the people you need to speak to, and understand...doctors, dentist, plumber etc... Good Luck whatever you decide.

annn
Old May 2nd 2005, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Nursing in France

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

I think Annn is moving to my home City!

Welcome Annn.
I am indeed moving to Adelaide, in August. I note that you are moving to France, whereabouts?

annn
Old May 2nd 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Annn

we have commitments here until at least the end of this year, possibly longer!

We hope to move to Bordeaux eventually.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you in Adelaide.
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by annn
I would'nt say i;ve had a bad time, it just is'nt for me. There are many reasons for being less happy than I should be. We are not in France through choice, rather because of hubbys work. Europe is not the place for us. We have lived in Germany also. My biggest dislike here is customer service, there is'nt any. This doesn't seem to bother the French but it bothers me. Now having said this It is'nt much better in the UK i notice. Bare in mind I haven't lived in the UK for 12 years I think, so I see It as a visitor. As has been said I am moving to Adelaide, I have heard people complain about Australia, but for us this is it, it will be our last move, our choice. Everyone has their Ideals, I think you have to experience things first hand yourself to make up your mind.
My biggest piece of advice to anybody moving to a country that you do not speak the language is not to assume you will learn it quickly, you probably won't, and don't under estimate what a problem it can be. Think of all the people you need to speak to, and understand...doctors, dentist, plumber etc... Good Luck whatever you decide.

annn

Dear Ann

oh yep french customer service??? that is the bit where they look at you as if you are bothering them, and then if there is an issue its nothing to do with them and even if you cause enough fuss to get the manager out he/she goes on the defensive?

been there done that!

my freind is in a wheelchair and trust me the french dont giva a flying **** to help! most supermarkets are not able to pass a wheelchair and even if that is the only checkout closed. diasbled toilets are the HOLE IN THE FLOOR! another issue......... if you cant stand up how can you hover over a sodding hole in the floor with no handles???

agaion NOT their problem but YOURS.

so yes france is crap, but the UK???? you sure? here you expect that attitude the UK you just get that attitude..... normally with corporate smile.

i'd rather not be in the UK thanx. and the number of britains leaving is now so high it shocks me! not least does the number of people i talk to there planning to GET OUT ASAP.

oh the wonderful uk
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Hello there folks!!!

Cheers!!

french is a dreadfully exact language .... english you can goof your way around it and it still means the same. as you know that does not work in french

i arrived here not even able to say hello, i can now however tell people to EFF OFF. told to get the swear words first. sounds silly??? but not, the french swear... in and around Paris they really do!!! outside of paris its useful in varying degrees ....... just wish "eff off" in french was not at least 50 ways to say it :scared: so i go for the worst and most insulting

french as you know use slang way more than the english, thus anyone boasting an A level french is gonna look like a 3yr old.

Nursing?? mmmmm yes you could no issue, but you have to try to get the UK nursing accepted as a diploma in france. if not you got 100's of McJobs you could do

however the french are very much for the home hospitalsation for people over 60 and so that is a huge and growing area. unlike the UK "you are over 60 we no longer care"
Old May 12th 2005, 2:35 am
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

I usually spend my time in the NZ and Australia forums but had a look at France out of interest.

To add to the variety of country cross-movements, we are in NZ and looking to move to Adelaide next year. I lived in France for 4 years quite a while ago.

Tayberry, I have followed your posts on the TNZ forum with interest as well as the Kiwijetpilot reactions . . . I agree with much of your sentiment on NZ, and have heard similar from other expat nurses/midwives here. – we have been here 5 years and really intended to stay here - we have also just produced various offspring – however we are fed up with the business mentality & climate – at the end of the day it’s a nice country but it isn’t for us long term.

When I lived in France, I lived quite close to the Swiss border and worked in Switzerland & Germany where language was less of a barrier. However, you would probably need to live close to Geneva. With work permits, there is a special permit (Frontalier) which allows people living in France to work in Switzerland. This used to be quite restricted - i.e. you had to have lived on the French side for some time. Might be worth checking out – this is a Swiss permit, not French. A Swiss hospital would probably need to do this on your behalf.

You also earn at Swiss rates (higher) and live in France (cheaper, and more relaxed) & have the benefit of being able to shop in both countries.

I went there with very rusty schoolboy French and battled for the first year, but found that by mixing with the locals as well as English-speakers (and with lots of red wine!) it improved and at one point I was just about fluent after about 2 years. I loved the life in rural France, with the focus on food, wine and enjoying life. I do recall that work accreditation for medical professionals used to be quite tortuous.

From my memories of France, I would say that developing reasonably fluent French is a must if you intend to stay longer term. Also, the best way to learn is to be there where you HAVE to converse in order to do the shopping, order a drink etc. Learning a language formally tends to focus on the grammar, rules etc and takes a lot of hard effort and you still come out sounding like a tape reorder!!! Living there you pick up the local slang, idiom and some of the right pronunciation. After getting the spoken bit right, then the grammatical rules are useful to learn/remember. I learned German this way with no background.

One of these days we hope to return to La belle France for longer.
Old May 12th 2005, 2:36 am
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

Gdcollectables, are you not happy in Adelaide? Pourquoi, si je peux vous demander?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.