Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Normandy Property Prices

Normandy Property Prices

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

deegee333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Normandy Property Prices

We are considering putting in an offer for a Normandy gite complex.
Recent newspaper articles in the UK suggest that prices are falling in this part of the world.
Is this true, and can anyone offer any guidance as to what discount below the asking price would be reasonable?
Also, can anyone tell me if the gite hirings market is sound at the moment?
Some accounts we have seen show a good income, but others leave you wondering how they survive!
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Dennis
Old Oct 4th 2006, 2:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Normandy Property Prices

Originally Posted by deegee333
We are considering putting in an offer for a Normandy gite complex.
Recent newspaper articles in the UK suggest that prices are falling in this part of the world.
Is this true, and can anyone offer any guidance as to what discount below the asking price would be reasonable?
Also, can anyone tell me if the gite hirings market is sound at the moment?
Some accounts we have seen show a good income, but others leave you wondering how they survive!
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Dennis
Whereabouts in Normandy dg?
Old Oct 4th 2006, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Whereabouts in Normandy dg?
Hi,
Thanks for coming back.
Near Vire - inland - but it does have a swimming pool.
Thanks,
D
Old Oct 5th 2006, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=deegee333]Hi,
Thanks for coming back.
Thanks,
D[/QUOTE
I might be interested in visiting , perhaps you could p.m. or e-mail me ?
R.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks for coming back.
Thanks,
D
Have you a special reason for looking in that area? I wouldn't have thought it would be in very high demand from gite renters.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have you a special reason for looking in that area? I wouldn't have thought it would be in very high demand from gite renters.
Hi
Thanks for this. The gites are well established, and the books show a reasonable income.
In addition, we wanted to avoid the coast, and live near a place that does not "shut down" in winter.
The ability to be near western channel crossings is a bonus, because of family ties in Blighty.
Best wishes,
D
Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:30 pm
Born again atheist

Hi
Thanks for this. The gites are well established, and the books show a reasonable income.
In addition, we wanted to avoid the coast, and live near a place that does not "shut down" in winter.
The ability to be near western channel crossings is a bonus, because of family ties in Blighty.
Best wishes,
D
Plural gites, eh? How many if I may ask? And how much? Reply by PM if you prefer (I ask 'cos I'm also interested in buying a gite property in Normandy, maybe next year).
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Our local notaire here in Manche (dept 50) claims prices will drop in the New Year. Cherbourg claims to have had a 40% drop in tourism over the last 18 months, mainly I suspect due to P&O stopping their sailing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg. Brittany Ferries now only sail once a day from Portsmouth, although LD lines are using the old P&O route Portsmouth to Le Havre. The price of western channel routes is now ridiculous when you compare it to crossings from Dover/Folkstone. Flybe do offer a service from Southampton to Cherbourg, but only during the summer. Ryanair are starting a new route to Deauville and already fly to Dinard and Brest, but the area you are looking at is not that easy to get to if you don't have a car.
Why are the present owners selling?
We have lived here in Normandy for 5 years now and have noticed, this year especially, that there were not as many UK registered cars in this area during the summer. Even D-Day celebrations were poorly attended. Still a few Dutch and Belgian's around, but quite a few of those own holiday homes here.
Have you tried looking on the notaires website (it is in English as well) and doing price checks for properties in the area you are considering?
Would also suggest you dropping into your local Mairie for a chat, see what they have to say about the property you are looking at.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi Val,
Thanks for this - much appreciated, and gives me plenty of food for thought!

Originally Posted by val50
Our local notaire here in Manche (dept 50) claims prices will drop in the New Year. Cherbourg claims to have had a 40% drop in tourism over the last 18 months, mainly I suspect due to P&O stopping their sailing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg. Brittany Ferries now only sail once a day from Portsmouth, although LD lines are using the old P&O route Portsmouth to Le Havre. The price of western channel routes is now ridiculous when you compare it to crossings from Dover/Folkstone. Flybe do offer a service from Southampton to Cherbourg, but only during the summer. Ryanair are starting a new route to Deauville and already fly to Dinard and Brest, but the area you are looking at is not that easy to get to if you don't have a car.
Why are the present owners selling?
We have lived here in Normandy for 5 years now and have noticed, this year especially, that there were not as many UK registered cars in this area during the summer. Even D-Day celebrations were poorly attended. Still a few Dutch and Belgian's around, but quite a few of those own holiday homes here.
Have you tried looking on the notaires website (it is in English as well) and doing price checks for properties in the area you are considering?
Would also suggest you dropping into your local Mairie for a chat, see what they have to say about the property you are looking at.