Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Next years holiday Acquitaine

Next years holiday Acquitaine

Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice
Default Next years holiday Acquitaine

Dear all,
After the help you gave me this year for our Summer holidays once we'd booked I'd thought I'd try get insights for next years holidays, before I'd booked.
Next year we're looking (2 families) to go to anywhere starting as far north as Charantes, through the Dordogne down to Landes. Now before you go raising your eyebrows that I've included a large part of France I'm just after a few of the places that have stunned you. Remote isn't an issue, so long as there are market towns nearby, a few good vineyards and a good sized town within 30 odd minute with something if required for the younger kids, though we make our own entertainment for the large part and are holiday to relax. So just a few must do, must see speciality of the area.
Thanks for your understanding for such a wide remit

Cheers

C
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:03 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next years holiday Acquitaine

Well, France is very much your oyster and in my part of France they are local and plentiful in season as are moules. If you are travelling south via St Malo or more north, then try the Atlantic Vendée coast. Plenty for all the family. If you are near me, then let me know and I'd be happy to meet and greet you.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:30 pm
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

If you come into the Landes I would advise that you stick to the Atlantic coast. The entire coastline is full of places created esecially for kids. Lots of apartments and chalets to rent. Places like Capbreton and Biscarosse are close enough to the Gironde for parents to go wine tasting.
The French often holiday in Arcachon, even closer to the Gironde.
The inside of the Landes is black sand, endless pine trees and small towns. If you like pine forests you will love it.
At the end of the seaboard is Bayonne and Biarritz...stylish, largish and great for shopping, restaurants, meandering over rocks and huge beaches. On 15 August Biarritz puts on a firework display over the bay like you have NEVER seen.
Slightly further inland is St. Jean de Luz, an old fishing port again full of charm, restaurants and shops...not so much for kids since the harbour is full of boats.

Further up the coast is La Rochelle and other towns...I have never been and I am told it gets full in summer because it is again full of style and things to do.

The Dordogne is called Little England for obvious reasons. Off the beaten track there are some lovely tiny hamlets. Rocamadour is a must see...an entire town hanging off the side of a cliff and very old, reputed to have been used by the Knights Templars.

I am sure others can help as well. Bonne vacances!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:35 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

La Rochelle is lovely. We are about an hour north. Yes, agree Atlantic coast is a must especially with young people. Remember the summer months our patch is full of French on holiday, plus Brits, Germans and the ubiquitous Dutch. Camp sites abound. But plenty of local wine - rosé is favoured around here, but en vrac from a local cave offers red, white or rose for around €1.60 a litre, bring your own box for a refill.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

Thanks for the info so far. We've decided to go a bit away from it, and try stay away from the crowds, we've seen a couple of nice places about 20k south of Bergerac and two north of Riberac if anyone knows anything around those areas? Thanks again