Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

New in France, not able to draw money from my new French account Help!

New in France, not able to draw money from my new French account Help!

Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in France, not able to draw money from my new French account Help!

Where is the OP?
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New in France, not able to draw money from my new French account Help!

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Just spoke to a friend who is a former Barclays FR employee.

Normally, if the card has been posted out - the problem would be that you haven't activated the card by calling them or going into the branch.
Post n°2 was the nearest guess then
Originally Posted by grannybunz
Where is the OP?
Long gone, it would appear...
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
What banks still give cash over the counter here? I thought all banks had gone cashless i.e. if you need more than a cash machine would normally dispense or you have reached your cards weekly monthly limit then the teller/receptionist will give you a special blank card to put in the cash machine which dispenses the amount in question.
I have a bigger problem trying to pay money into my account.
I like to put the cash and cheques from Chambre d'hotes guests into my account ASAP . If I have to give a customer change, Idon't have the exact amount to pay in . Before the bank (CA) went all machine, I would get change from the teller. Now I have to put the notes into an envelope.
The only way to get change would be to withdraw it from the ATM using my card.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the OP?
I often wonder about that on this forum.

I recently offered a fair bit of distinctly relevant advice to a newbie and did she reply? Pas d'un mot. Rien.
I'm not after a Nobel prize or elevation to a Saint-hood - but a little gratitude would be nice. She just ephemerated into the ether of webspace.

But then I figured that the lovely people who write most regularly on here are congeners - congeners who know a great deal about France from an expat's viewpoint; congeners who have a gentle sense of competition about who can get their reply in first (and who can offer the best advice); congeners who put away their rose-tinted spectacles about France many years ago but are still in love with it; and congeners who simply offer help without the need for thanks, or recognition, or reward.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
you mean you can get coins out of your ATM I've never seen that...
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I like to put the cash and cheques from Chambre d'hotes guests into my account ASAP . If I have to give a customer change, Idon't have the exact amount to pay in . Before the bank (CA) went all machine, I would get change from the teller. Now I have to put the notes into an envelope.
It isn't a great problem.
I take it that you are trying to bank the exact amount that ties up with a specific rental.
That is nice and clean but isn't necessary for your accounts.
One way round the problem is to pay the non-exact amount into your personal account and transfer the exact amount into your business account.
HTH
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:26 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

why don't you keep some petty cash for this?

Cyrian, Separation of work/personal accounts is imperative. Anything like you've suggested would be just asking for an audit, or at the very least an explanation of why you were doing this.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Separation of work/personal accounts is imperative. Anything like you've suggested would be just asking for an audit, or at the very least an explanation of why you were doing this.
For businesses it is but not every CdH is registered as a business. Presumably if you declare the income as revenus BIC non professionnel you don't need a separate business account?
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
you mean you can get coins out of your ATM I've never seen that...
My charges are in multiples of 5 euros so coins are not required, The English I use does distinguish between notes and coins as it would in usual French conversation.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
For businesses it is but not every CdH is registered as a business. Presumably if you declare the income as revenus BIC non professionnel you don't need a separate business account?

When I explained my CdH activities to HMRC, I was told that my sounded more like a hobby than a business. I don't have a separate Bank a/c for it , but I do like to keep income and expenditure on the house in my CA a/c.

All purchases for food and personal items are paid for by my UK credit card and the cash in my pocket comes from an ATM using a Nationwide debit card. This does mean that I am not keeping a separate record on items bought for the "clients" , but as HMRC said. "It's a Hobby"
Old Sep 9th 2017, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not that it really matters what HMRC think since under the UK/FR tax treaty all rental income earned in France is taxable in France and has to be declared to the fisc, who see things slightly differently. But it's always nice to discuss hobbies with one's compatriots

https://uk.ambafrance.org/IMG/pdf_fr...b3a83575c615da
ARTICLE 6
INCOME FROM IMMOVABLE PROPERTY
1. Income derived from immovable property (including income from
agriculture or forestry) situated in a Contracting State may be taxed in that State.
3. The provisions of paragraph 1 shall apply to income derived from
the direct use, letting, or use in any other form of immovable property.

https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/i...venus-fonciers (non residents)
Vous louez des locaux (logements) meublés

Ces revenus sont imposables dans la catégorie des revenus industriels et commerciaux (BIC) et doivent être reportés sur la déclaration complémentaire 2042-C-PRO dans la rubrique dédiée.

Si vous donnez en location des meublés de tourisme classés ou une chambre d'hôte indiquez le montant total de vos recettes lignes 5NG, 5OG ou 5PG. Un abattement forfaitaire de 71 % sera appliqué avec un minimum de 305 €.

L'année de départ et de retour, les montants de vos revenus fonciers nus ou en meublés perçus, après votre départ et avant votre retour, sont � reporter sur la déclaration 2042 NR. Les autres années, vous utiliserez les déclarations habituelles 2042.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Sep 9th 2017 at 5:59 am.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the OP?
Their ATM card probably works now, so no need for the advice they asked for.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Their ATM card probably works now, so no need for the advice they asked for.
I hope it does or they'll be very hungry by now
Old Sep 9th 2017, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I started doing Chambres d'hootes after reading an article in Le Monde that the (French) Government were wanting to encourage people to offer Ch d'H on a small scale by declaring that the the first (about 4,500 euros I seem to remember) of income would be tax free.

I thought that gave me an encouragement to join the few houses in my village listed by the Office de Tourisme.

I am not resident in France for more than 3 or 4 months and I am not registered with the French Tax Authorities. However I am registered with the Mairie as a Ch d'H provider and I pay the Tourist Tax each year at my local Tresor.

When I learned that HMRC were interested in income from Gites in another country, it made me think. There were reports of HMRC looking through accommodation booklets to see if Uk residents were earning income from overseas property. There was even talk (in the media) of a possible assumption that most UK residents with an overseas property were deriving income from it.

Up until then, I had assumed I was safe from demands of tax officials, because of the declaration by the French Government, but I realised that if it is not possible to be taxed twice for the same income, then it may well not be in order to claim excemption / allowance in two countries.

HMRC told me that the UK allowance of about £ 4,500 only applied to your place of residence and therefore any income from a holiday home in France would be liable. After a few phone calls, I was told that the amount of business I did put me in the "hobby" category.