Reload this Page >

New to forum and need advice on moving

New to forum and need advice on moving

Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

jetty is on a distinguished road
Default New to forum and need advice on moving

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and need some advice on moving to France.

My husband and I are certain that we want to move to France in 2013 when he retires. We are a young couple 33 and 46 with two children 11 and 2.

We have spent a lot of time in France but we are very mixed on where we want to live. We know that we have to rent before committing to buying as we are aware that it is essential to find the right area mainly for the children. It has also been recommended that we try to rent in an area where we want to buy as it may be hard for the children to keep moving once they are settled in school.

We have friends in Tarn-et-Garonne and as much as we love it there I think I want to be nearer to Toulouse. We have spent time east of Toulouse and we loved it there but could not get a real feel for it as we were on holiday and living and being on holiday are so different.

I'm mainly needing some names of areas outside of Toulouse that is slightly rural but not too far from Toulouse which I can research. I know that I will need some expats around me for support as it is daunting moving to another country plus I want to start a business that will require English speaking customers until my French is better!!

Thank you in advance

Jackie
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to forum and need advice on moving

We recently visited Toulouse and driving back spent some time in Castres, it seemed like a lovely place. Quite a few Expats around I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castres

good luck in your search, daunting but exciting too!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

If you would consider the west of Toulouse or the SW then the areas of Ariege and Gers:

Both are really lovely, though quite different from each other. We live in the GERS (just) and love the rural feel but the fact that wecan be in Toulouse for work in around 40/45 mins
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:40 am
Just Joined

booboo76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jetty
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and need some advice on moving to France.

My husband and I are certain that we want to move to France in 2013 when he retires. We are a young couple 33 and 46 with two children 11 and 2.

We have spent a lot of time in France but we are very mixed on where we want to live. We know that we have to rent before committing to buying as we are aware that it is essential to find the right area mainly for the children. It has also been recommended that we try to rent in an area where we want to buy as it may be hard for the children to keep moving once they are settled in school.

We have friends in Tarn-et-Garonne and as much as we love it there I think I want to be nearer to Toulouse. We have spent time east of Toulouse and we loved it there but could not get a real feel for it as we were on holiday and living and being on holiday are so different.

I'm mainly needing some names of areas outside of Toulouse that is slightly rural but not too far from Toulouse which I can research. I know that I will need some expats around me for support as it is daunting moving to another country plus I want to start a business that will require English speaking customers until my French is better!!

Thank you in advance

Jackie
Hi Jackie

I saw your comment to Helen, who has been really helpful suggesting areas to look at near Toulouse. We too are hoping to move over early next year and have two children 12 and 8. They will hopefully be going to IST, so west of Toulouse makes more sense for us. We stayed in Escalquens, South East of Toulouse in the summer and really liked it. I haven't visited the other villages Helen has suggested, but will be going over before Christmas to have a look, I'll let you know what I think. Like you, I'm a bit apprehensive about moving to a new country, but from what I've heard and have found out about Toulouse it seems like a lovely place, very multi cultural and the people that I have met so far, French, British and American that live there don't seem to have a bad word to say about it.

let me know how it goes.

Sharon x
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
If you would consider the west of Toulouse or the SW then the areas of Ariege and Gers:

Both are really lovely, though quite different from each other. We live in the GERS (just) and love the rural feel but the fact that wecan be in Toulouse for work in around 40/45 mins
We definitely will. We are totally open to suggestions, we are hoping to get back over in April and fly into Toulouse and do lots of driving in the area to get a feel of various areas. Gers have never been on my list but it is now.

Do you know how easy/difficult it is to find an agent to help find a rental property?

Thank you

Jackie
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=booboo76;9687563]Hi Jackie

I saw your comment to Helen, who has been really helpful suggesting areas to look at near Toulouse. We too are hoping to move over early next year and have two children 12 and 8. They will hopefully be going to IST, so west of Toulouse makes more sense for us. We stayed in Escalquens, South East of Toulouse in the summer and really liked it. I haven't visited the other villages Helen has suggested, but will be going over before Christmas to have a look, I'll let you know what I think. Like you, I'm a bit apprehensive about moving to a new country, but from what I've heard and have found out about Toulouse it seems like a lovely place, very multi cultural and the people that I have met so far, French, British and American that live there don't seem to have a bad word to say about it.

let me know how it goes.

Thanks Sharon,

That will be great, thank you ever so much. I looked at IST and almost feel off my chair at the fees. It's more then what we pay here. I must admit that I am worried about my 11 year old, he'll be 13 when we go and although he's really excited about the move I am very worried about his language skills.

We have friends in Tarn-et-Garonne and they have assured me he will be fine providing he gives it a go. When we were with them in the summer they took him to the shops and really encouraged him to ask for things and he got on with it and it really gave him a confidence boost.

I do want to look at an school with an English section, I just think he will need the support. We are taking on a tutor for all of us from the new year, I think that too will encourage him to see that we are all in the same boat and it's not just him having to make the effort.

We stayed in a place called Beauville, which is near Revel, about 40 minutes from Toulouse, it was lovely. There were also a couple from Paris staying in the gite next to us. The wife was half English and half French, how she switched between the two languages was amazing. She grew up in Toulouse and could do nothing but praise it. I'm meeting up with her in Paris in March so I'll be sure to ask her more questions about the area and let you know too.

I'll look up Escalquens too, have a fab time when you go next, it will be interesting seeing it that time of year too.

Jackie x
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

booboo76 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jetty;9687945]
Originally Posted by booboo76
Hi Jackie

let me know how it goes.

Thanks Sharon,

That will be great, thank you ever so much. I looked at IST and almost feel off my chair at the fees. It's more then what we pay here. I must admit that I am worried about my 11 year old, he'll be 13 when we go and although he's really excited about the move I am very worried about his language skills.

We have friends in Tarn-et-Garonne and they have assured me he will be fine providing he gives it a go. When we were with them in the summer they took him to the shops and really encouraged him to ask for things and he got on with it and it really gave him a confidence boost.

I do want to look at an school with an English section, I just think he will need the support. We are taking on a tutor for all of us from the new year, I think that too will encourage him to see that we are all in the same boat and it's not just him having to make the effort.

We stayed in a place called Beauville, which is near Revel, about 40 minutes from Toulouse, it was lovely. There were also a couple from Paris staying in the gite next to us. The wife was half English and half French, how she switched between the two languages was amazing. She grew up in Toulouse and could do nothing but praise it. I'm meeting up with her in Paris in March so I'll be sure to ask her more questions about the area and let you know too.

I'll look up Escalquens too, have a fab time when you go next, it will be interesting seeing it that time of year too.

Jackie x
Hi Jackie

I've heard that the Victor Hugo school is good and has English speaking section, well worth a look. We are only going initially for two years with my husbands job, so IST seems the best option, it also looks likely that my husbands company will pay, as you say the fees are very high. If we were thinking of a long term move then I would be putting the children straight into French school. It's funny, my son will also be 13 next year and is really excited about going, the 8 year old not so much. It seems like a really outdoor lifestyle, loads to do, which i guess much seem like a big adventure playground if you're early teens!!! With skiing only an hour away, the beach not much further, and a beautiful city to live in, what more could you ask for!!

I'll keep you updated on progress, and do let me know how things go with you.

Sharon x
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=booboo76;9688047]
Originally Posted by jetty
Hi Jackie

I've heard that the Victor Hugo school is good and has English speaking section, well worth a look. We are only going initially for two years with my husbands job, so IST seems the best option, it also looks likely that my husbands company will pay, as you say the fees are very high. If we were thinking of a long term move then I would be putting the children straight into French school. It's funny, my son will also be 13 next year and is really excited about going, the 8 year old not so much. It seems like a really outdoor lifestyle, loads to do, which i guess much seem like a big adventure playground if you're early teens!!! With skiing only an hour away, the beach not much further, and a beautiful city to live in, what more could you ask for!!

I'll keep you updated on progress, and do let me know how things go with you.

Sharon x
Hi Sharon,

They makes perfect sense with IST, I thought I had read that you were going to be short term them. We'll be joining you the following year, it is really exciting. You right about the outdoor life, they really have the right attitude. I think the skiing is a major selling point for our 11 year. Toulouse is a gorgeous city, we loved it. I'll be sure to check out Victor Hugo, we're hoping our next visit will be without the children so we can go during term time and make some appointments to see some schools.

Yep, keep me updated with your progress, I can't wait to hear it all.

Jackie x
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick note if you are thinking of the College Victor Hugo for your son; it is VERY unlikely that they will accept him initially as, although, yes, there is an 'English section' it operates within the French system so he would need French.

However we know someone, who spoke to us in this site, who arrived last year with a daughter of the same age as you son will be and this is what happened to her
For the first year she attended a college in Blagnac, with a section for children new to France, who are given support in learning French and in integrating into the french school system.
This year she has been accepted into Victor Hugo into the English section in the year behind her actual school year.

I dont think it will be easy for your son; but the girl I describe shows it is possible when the fees for the IST mean that this is the only alternative!

Regarding the rental, most estate agents do rentals also try sites such as leboncoin.fr which should have a lot of maisons a louer

Last edited by dennerlymum; Oct 22nd 2011 at 3:38 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Just a quick note if you are thinking of the College Victor Hugo for your son; it is VERY unlikely that they will accept him initially as, although, yes, there is an 'English section' it operates within the French system so he would need French.

However we know someone, who spoke to us in this site, who arrived last year with a daughter of the same age as you son will be and this is what happened to her
For the first year she attended a college in Blagnac, with a section for children new to France, who are given support in learning French and in integrating into the french school system.
This year she has been accepted into Victor Hugo into the English section in the year behind her actual school year.

I dont think it will be easy for your son; but the girl I describe shows it is possible when the fees for the IST mean that this is the only alternative!

Regarding the rental, most estate agents do rentals also try sites such as leboncoin.fr which should have a lot of maisons a louer
Thank you for the advice, I have looked at Victor Hugo and read about the combination of English and French. I thought that would be an issue so I am going to get a home tutor for him in the new year for the next year to get him up to speed. Luckily he has been learning French for the pass 6 years at school and he understands more then he thinks. It's just a case of encouraging him to speak more. I was going to contact them to express an interest but I will definitely look to find the college in Blagnac.

Thank you once again for the info, the fees at IST are too high and plus we are going to be there for the long haul so I want to get his French up to speed. I must admit he is the one that I am worried about the most, I know my husband and 2 year old will get by but it's going to be major for him.

I'll check out the websites for the rentals, your advice has been invaluable.

Jackie
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glad to help!
I think Victor Hugo will probably direct you first of all to the service that evaluates the french level of all newcomers (sorry can't recall the name of the service ) and then they will send you to the school in Blagnac if necessary.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Glad to help!
I think Victor Hugo will probably direct you first of all to the service that evaluates the french level of all newcomers (sorry can't recall the name of the service ) and then they will send you to the school in Blagnac if necessary.
Perfect, thank you. It's so difficult we are also considering an area called Lavaur. We went there during the summer are you familiar with that area?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lavaur on the East of Toulouse; lovely area and nice to live in but far from any English speaking schools or schools wioth sections that are English speaking >I think it could be very difficult for your son...if you liked there then the Gers or Ariege would appeal to you then
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:35 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

Le Gers, west of Toulouse...the only town with anything happening is Auch...nice enough, but the rest of the department is very agricultural...rolling green high hills that come off the Pyrenees at right angles to form valleys which remind me of the Peak District in GB but VERY QUIET and the area tends to be hot and dry in summer.
I found it very international with Brits, Germans, Dutch , but the only places where anything actually happened was Tarbes and Toulouse.

I moved out due to the high temperatures in summer and the boredom.

South of the Gers is the High Pyrenees...touristy in summer and cold in winter as the small villages hunker down in the shadow of the mountains. Very French, lots of old families going back centuries. If you like skiing etc you would like it but it does lack the sun in winter.If you get out from the valleys and onto high ground it is god's own dream...IMO one of the most beautiful places in France with traditional culture centering around shepherds and sheeps' cheese. I can't get there often enough although I chose to live elsewhere.

East of Toulouse you have Castres and Albi...others wil probably know more about those places than I do.

Last edited by Etoile de Berger; Oct 25th 2011 at 6:43 am.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree with you re the quiet; it is why I love it! Incidentally I used to live in the Peak District too and loved it also It's a case of horses for courses really!