Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

New car purchase - Buy or lease?

New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Old Sep 21st 2022, 10:40 pm
  #16  
Gloves off
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Antwerpen/Anvers
Posts: 7,360
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by Helen1964
https://www.vignette-pollution.org/a...itair-etranger

Looks like even non-French-residents visiting cities with emissions restrictions in foreign cars will be required to obtain a sticker in advance.
Thanks Helen, that's a very useful pointer.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 1:37 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 223
bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

I applied for my crit air sticker a few weeks ago and it arrived in todays post (UK). I was expecting it earlier so I contacted them to say it hadn’t arrived and lo and behold the replacement I received was posted priority. Very impressed - I think the original was posted to my French address as I’d used my French bank card to pay. Anyone who tries the website to apply might find it uncooperative but main issue is uploading copy of your V5 - best done on a PC and scanned and reduced rather than taking a photo
bazzer70 is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 1:45 am
  #18  
M.O.V.E.D. !
 
Annetje's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Charente Maritime
Posts: 9,346
Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Interesting indeed. I read Helen's post this morning and my first thought was "what about us foreign types, would we have to purchase a vignette to enter French cities?"

Off to Wikipedia for some guidelines, but I left none the wiser, except to know that I'd potentially be "violet"

Antwerpen/Anvers is bringing in something similar soon-ish.
Unless you are talking about something I really don't understand, I believe Antwerp already has this system and has had it for a few years.
I just know because a few years ago a hotel I wanted to go to was within the zone so I had to park 100m further.
But maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole thing in which case I apologise.

This is what I found as information in English.
https://www.slimnaarantwerpen.be/en/...#current-rules
Annetje is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 2:25 am
  #19  
Gloves off
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Antwerpen/Anvers
Posts: 7,360
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by Annetje
Unless you are talking about something I really don't understand, I believe Antwerp already has this system and has had it for a few years.
I just know because a few years ago a hotel I wanted to go to was within the zone so I had to park 100m further.
But maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole thing in which case I apologise.

This is what I found as information in English.
https://www.slimnaarantwerpen.be/en/...#current-rules
No, you're fine, this is just another illustration of my dislike of diesel powered vehicles!

When I said soon-ish for Antwerp I meant the 2025/2027 changes for cars with petrol engines
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 7:09 pm
  #20  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,295
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
No, you're fine, this is just another illustration of my dislike of diesel powered vehicles!

When I said soon-ish for Antwerp I meant the 2025/2027 changes for cars with petrol engines
Interesting. Like yourself I also had a great dislike for diesel powered vehicles. In fact 20 years ago if anyone had said I would eventually buy such a vehicle I would have replied, "No way! You must be mad - noisy, smelly things." Up until that time all my cars had been petrol vehicles.
However I recall that mid 2000, diesel powered vehicles were being activily promoted as an alternative to petrol. Believe it was at the start of the Sarkozy term in office with the rational that diesel engines were more efficient and switching from petrol to diesel powered vehicles would "reduce carbon dioxide emissions and assist to stave off global warming". Marvellous isn't it that we not only sometimes believe the little fibs told to us, but also the huge lies spouted by politiicians too. Unfortunately I believed what I'd heard and read, and when the time came to purchase a car - I chose diesel.
Now had that diesel v petrol rational been stated by BoJo the Clown I would probably have gone out and bought a horse & cart.......

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Sep 22nd 2022 at 7:55 pm.
Tweedpipe is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2022, 3:49 am
  #21  
Gloves off
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Antwerpen/Anvers
Posts: 7,360
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
... Hoping for a test drive next week, and to discuss 3-5 year lease.
...
So TP, did that test drive happen? How was it?
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2022, 8:14 am
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,295
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
So TP, did that test drive happen? How was it?
It certainly did, and it was brilliant!
From the very few on-line road tests, I knew the vehicle was exceptional, but actually driving it was certainly a revelation. Pushing the start button, a second later I couldn't hear a thing. Ditto when driving away. Pussy-footing it for the next minute or two the only sound was muted road noise. When the road was clear, and still in eco mode, putting a little more pressure on the accelerator, brings it into hybrid mode and the 2lt petrol engine to life - as witnessed on the drivers power display, where it could be observed also sending a charge back to the 2 electric propulsion motors.
Being used to my 2.2lt turbo-powered engine and especially the torque it supplies, I thought I may possibly be in for a disappointment with an e-HEV hybrid. Not so. Slipping the electric selector into Sports mode and flooring the accelerator, one is in for a unique surprise. Although stated as having an e-CVT power control unit, this suggests it has a CVT gearbox in play, which is not the case. There's no gearbox used whatsoever in the Honda e-HEV hybrid system, but you wouldn't know it! The manufacturer has achieved a tour-de force in making it sound as if a very close-ratio sports gearbox is present, together with an amazing active sound control. Even the rev-counter reproduces this amazing gearbox game of 'deception'. That and the sound (which can be deselected), truly put a smile on my face.
Top marks for the interior too, except perhaps if you have two 6ft+ kids in the rear seats - their heads will touch the top, but they'll thank you for loads of legroom.
I won't even start on many of the other technical attributes of the vehicle, but it has an amazing 'engine-braking' system which one doesn't get with automatics. It's activated if required from the two steering-wheel paddles which increase and decrease regenerative breaking.
Suffice to say that it's very comfortable, the chassis/roadholding is superb too and even the base model has heated seats. Even a 'BuckBoy' must - as standard for his northern climate. A heated steering wheel!
I made a 2nd test drive with Mme TP, and came away from both smiling - and I can't recall doing that since my Alfa Spider. The downside (which inverted the smile) - delivery is not before early spring 2023.
If ever you have some free time, even if no plans for change of vehicle, go and give it a test drive just for the unique experience - especially the Advance model.

Back around early 1970's I drove a friends Mazda Wankel-engined car. That experience I recall put a large smile on my face too.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 18th 2022 at 8:22 am.
Tweedpipe is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2022, 2:56 am
  #23  
Gloves off
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Antwerpen/Anvers
Posts: 7,360
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
It certainly did, and it was brilliant!
From the very few on-line road tests, I knew the vehicle was exceptional, but actually driving it was certainly a revelation. Pushing the start button, a second later I couldn't hear a thing. Ditto when driving away. Pussy-footing it for the next minute or two the only sound was muted road noise. When the road was clear, and still in eco mode, putting a little more pressure on the accelerator, brings it into hybrid mode and the 2lt petrol engine to life - as witnessed on the drivers power display, where it could be observed also sending a charge back to the 2 electric propulsion motors.
Being used to my 2.2lt turbo-powered engine and especially the torque it supplies, I thought I may possibly be in for a disappointment with an e-HEV hybrid. Not so. Slipping the electric selector into Sports mode and flooring the accelerator, one is in for a unique surprise. Although stated as having an e-CVT power control unit, this suggests it has a CVT gearbox in play, which is not the case. There's no gearbox used whatsoever in the Honda e-HEV hybrid system, but you wouldn't know it! The manufacturer has achieved a tour-de force in making it sound as if a very close-ratio sports gearbox is present, together with an amazing active sound control. Even the rev-counter reproduces this amazing gearbox game of 'deception'. That and the sound (which can be deselected), truly put a smile on my face.
Top marks for the interior too, except perhaps if you have two 6ft+ kids in the rear seats - their heads will touch the top, but they'll thank you for loads of legroom.
I won't even start on many of the other technical attributes of the vehicle, but it has an amazing 'engine-braking' system which one doesn't get with automatics. It's activated if required from the two steering-wheel paddles which increase and decrease regenerative breaking.
Suffice to say that it's very comfortable, the chassis/roadholding is superb too and even the base model has heated seats. Even a 'BuckBoy' must - as standard for his northern climate. A heated steering wheel!
I made a 2nd test drive with Mme TP, and came away from both smiling - and I can't recall doing that since my Alfa Spider. The downside (which inverted the smile) - delivery is not before early spring 2023.
If ever you have some free time, even if no plans for change of vehicle, go and give it a test drive just for the unique experience - especially the Advance model.

Back around early 1970's I drove a friends Mazda Wankel-engined car. That experience I recall put a large smile on my face too.
Indeed the torque of some of these hybrid vehicles is better experienced than can ever be adequately described. I have a P(lugin)HEV which I see that the Civic is not, so I'm now intrigued as to what the paddles on the Honda steering wheel actually do? Apart from affording Mme TP somewhere convenient to park her handbag, obvs.

My paddles come into play when the car is running on the petrol engine and in "sport" mode where they become fast gear-shifts, so a kind-of override to the normal automatic gearbox.

I see that Honda are quoting 4.9l/100km consumption which is not that bad for a two litre. My PHEV is currently clocking 1.7l/100km (it was 1.0l/100km but I've had a couple of autoroute dashes recently) but again that depends on one's driving habits; I'm mostly doing short trips, I can get +/- 50km from a full charge so one, maybe two charges a week keep me rolling. I last filled up with fuel sometime back in May and I still have over half a tank left.

OH has a tiny Toyota MHEV, she seems fairly happy with it, but if she starts making noises I'll drop some hints that we might like to look at the Honda (although she's even more brand-loyal than me).
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2022, 7:04 am
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,295
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Indeed the torque of some of these hybrid vehicles is better experienced than can ever be adequately described. I have a P(lugin)HEV which I see that the Civic is not, so I'm now intrigued as to what the paddles on the Honda steering wheel actually do? Apart from affording Mme TP somewhere convenient to park her handbag, obvs.

My paddles come into play when the car is running on the petrol engine and in "sport" mode where they become fast gear-shifts, so a kind-of override to the normal automatic gearbox.

I see that Honda are quoting 4.9l/100km consumption which is not that bad for a two litre. My PHEV is currently clocking 1.7l/100km (it was 1.0l/100km but I've had a couple of autoroute dashes recently) but again that depends on one's driving habits; I'm mostly doing short trips, I can get +/- 50km from a full charge so one, maybe two charges a week keep me rolling. I last filled up with fuel sometime back in May and I still have over half a tank left.

OH has a tiny Toyota MHEV, she seems fairly happy with it, but if she starts making noises I'll drop some hints that we might like to look at the Honda (although she's even more brand-loyal than me).
I'm quite used now to the paddles on my wife's VW Polo which is a DSG automatic. Needless to say after 2 years with the car she's never used them, and I'm sure never will. On the drive we sometimes make to Andorra, the use of both paddles on the steep uphill gradients is great fun to keep the revs higher and the engine more responsive. Coming back down the very steep route from the top of the Pyrenees is not so easy as one has to constantly keep stabbing the footbrake.
Back to Honda. On the car in question the continuously variable transmission of torque is achieved in an electric way by changing the amount of electric current (amperes) which is sent to the electric motor. Activation of the left hand paddle sends an electrical signal to decrease the current to the electric motor, which in turn rapidly decreases the torque - which provides a very noticeable breaking effect, which one doesn't get with a conventional automatic gearbox (at the least the few I've driven). When activating the l/h paddle, one can sequentially shift through 4 stages of deceleration. The following is from the users manual: For example when descending a hill, use of the deceleration paddle selector helps to maintain the rate of deceleration thereby allowing to keep a safer distance from the vehicle ahead. Pull back the right paddle selector to decrease the deceleration stage.
Tweedpipe is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2022, 5:27 am
  #25  
Gloves off
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Antwerpen/Anvers
Posts: 7,360
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
... on the steep uphill gradients ...
I know nothing of which you speak the greatest altitude shift that I get to experience these days is when joining the Antwerp Ring.
Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
... Activation of the left hand paddle sends an electrical signal to decrease the current to the electric motor, which in turn rapidly decreases the torque - which provides a very noticeable breaking effect, which one doesn't get with a conventional automatic gearbox (at the least the few I've driven). When activating the l/h paddle, one can sequentially shift through 4 stages of deceleration.
Indeed, I tried coming off the extension from the Antwerp ring last week running in Sport mode using the left paddle to change down, and felt almost zero braking - and that was taking an up-hill autoroute exit.
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2023, 5:46 am
  #26  
Just Joined
 
Snapper2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2022
Location: London
Posts: 7
Snapper2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
My last new car was purchased early in 2008. A Honda Civic. InitialIy I planned to keep it for a max of 5 years. That 'deadline' came and went, as did the next 5 years, also totally trouble-free and had only required change of basic consumables i.e. 1 set of replacement tyres/1 set front brake pads and several changes of wiper blades. Now 14years old, still immaculate condition and trouble free, I feel it's time to renew - from diesel to something more environmentally friendly and economical. After a great deal of research I've ruled out an all-electric vehicle, and have decided on a hybrid version.
One thing's for sure, based on experience so far and also with 2 other similar models whilst in Asia, it will have to be another Honda.
I don't plan to keep a hybrid model for more than 3-5 years which leads to the topic query to buy or lease? (My annual mileage is not expected to exceed 7k klm/year).
I would like to hear from anyone who has leased a vehicle in France (or elsewhere). Was the experience a good one? I've done a basic search for the fors & cons of leasing, but would appreciate the thoughts of those with actual experience.
Thanks in advance.
I'm 2 years into a 4 year lease for a Ford Puma. I pay around £220 each month for the car and another £35 a month for a planned maintenance package that covers everything. Tomorrow I get an oil change. The first if anything since I've had Not sure I'd take the maintenance as car seems very reliable and in the time I have it I expect it will probably have two services, an MOT and maybe tyres and brake pads. All for £1680! Not such a great deal or is it?

Last edited by Snapper2000; Jan 10th 2023 at 5:50 am. Reason: Tidying up English
Snapper2000 is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2023, 6:55 am
  #27  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Tweedpipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Halfway between Ricard & Absynthe
Posts: 4,295
Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Welcome to the forum. And thanks for your input on this subject.
Tweedpipe is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.