Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

New car purchase - Buy or lease?

New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Old Sep 9th 2022, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default New car purchase - Buy or lease?

My last new car was purchased early in 2008. A Honda Civic. InitialIy I planned to keep it for a max of 5 years. That 'deadline' came and went, as did the next 5 years, also totally trouble-free and had only required change of basic consumables i.e. 1 set of replacement tyres/1 set front brake pads and several changes of wiper blades. Now 14years old, still immaculate condition and trouble free, I feel it's time to renew - from diesel to something more environmentally friendly and economical. After a great deal of research I've ruled out an all-electric vehicle, and have decided on a hybrid version.
One thing's for sure, based on experience so far and also with 2 other similar models whilst in Asia, it will have to be another Honda.
I don't plan to keep a hybrid model for more than 3-5 years which leads to the topic query to buy or lease? (My annual mileage is not expected to exceed 7k klm/year).
I would like to hear from anyone who has leased a vehicle in France (or elsewhere). Was the experience a good one? I've done a basic search for the fors & cons of leasing, but would appreciate the thoughts of those with actual experience.
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 10th 2022, 6:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car purchase - Buy or lease?

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
My last new car was purchased early in 2008. A Honda Civic. InitialIy I planned to keep it for a max of 5 years. That 'deadline' came and went, as did the next 5 years, also totally trouble-free and had only required change of basic consumables i.e. 1 set of replacement tyres/1 set front brake pads and several changes of wiper blades. Now 14years old, still immaculate condition and trouble free, I feel it's time to renew - from diesel to something more environmentally friendly and economical. After a great deal of research I've ruled out an all-electric vehicle, and have decided on a hybrid version.
One thing's for sure, based on experience so far and also with 2 other similar models whilst in Asia, it will have to be another Honda.
I don't plan to keep a hybrid model for more than 3-5 years which leads to the topic query to buy or lease? (My annual mileage is not expected to exceed 7k klm/year).
I would like to hear from anyone who has leased a vehicle in France (or elsewhere). Was the experience a good one? I've done a basic search for the fors & cons of leasing, but would appreciate the thoughts of those with actual experience.
Thanks in advance.
We leased a Captur for 3 years. I can't remember the financial aspects for that period, but when I decided to keep it, it was a shock to discover the "balance" to be paid. No doubt it was mentioned in the Contract, but OH had dealt with it at the time.... Anyway, this balance was less than the price of a good second-hand replacement, and the car had a low-mileage, so I decided to pay up and keep it.
One advantage is that Renault "paid for" any maintenance for the 3 years, the only fly in the ointment was obtaining the new Carte Grise in my name via ANTS, but it would have been necessary with a second-hand car, anyway....
If you think you'll only keep it for 3 years, then lease a new model!
Old Sep 11th 2022, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

DMU, thank you for your comments!
Old Sep 11th 2022, 9:16 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Salut TP, I leased once when I was in CH, I opted to lease as I figured that I only need the (larger) car for 4/5 years and everything went according to plan. Otherwise I buy new and keep until it falls apart.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes with the Honda hybrid - I'm very happy with my (albeit non-Honda) PHEV.
Old Sep 12th 2022, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Salut TP, I leased once when I was in CH, I opted to lease as I figured that I only need the (larger) car for 4/5 years and everything went according to plan. Otherwise I buy new and keep until it falls apart.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes with the Honda hybrid - I'm very happy with my (albeit non-Honda) PHEV.
Interesting BB, thanks! How did it work for the end of lease. Does one have to ensure that it's in the same condition as new and pay to have any dents, bumps or scrapes repaired?
Up until now I've had no problem keeping my own car relatively scar-free but you know what these supermarket parkings are like with most shoppers wanting to park right outside the main entrance. To avoid this I find a remote spot at the other end, but regardless nearly always find someone parked alongside......
Old Sep 12th 2022, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I would personally run the car into the ground - it's something I've always done. Seems a shame to get rid of a car that is still running, as it may end up on the scrapheap, so if you're considering the environmental issue I would think it were more eco-friendly to run an existing car, than the pollution caused in the creation of a new one, which includes the mining of rare earth minerals and lithium etc. That's just me though.

If going for a hybrid, I guess you'd just have to weigh up the potential costs of lease vs purchase. If it's just for the shorter-term (3-5 years), then I guess lease might be more attractive, but is it possible you may end up keeping it beyond that period of time, as you did with the Honda Civic?
Old Sep 12th 2022, 9:05 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting BB, thanks! How did it work for the end of lease. Does one have to ensure that it's in the same condition as new and pay to have any dents, bumps or scrapes repaired?
Up until now I've had no problem keeping my own car relatively scar-free but you know what these supermarket parkings are like with most shoppers wanting to park right outside the main entrance. To avoid this I find a remote spot at the other end, but regardless nearly always find someone parked alongside......
End of lease worked perfectly for me, maybe because I was switching dealerships for my next car.

I'd leased a big Jeep over four years, and towards the end of that period I had already decided to downsize. The dealership for the next vehicle - purchased because I planned on keeping it for a while - offered more money in terms of part exchange than the residual payment due at the end of the Jeep lease.

I kept the following one for 12 years and only parted with it reluctantly when we left CH. I looked at importing and re-registering it here, but that would have been a lot of faffing around, plus I had my eye on a hybrid ...

Even if I hadn't done the residual payment thing and just surrendered the Jeep at end of lease, any dings and scratches - thankfully there weren't any - would have been covered as one of the conditions of the lease was assurance tous risques.
Old Sep 16th 2022, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B & BB, thanks for your replies. You both make some interesting arguments.
The idea of getting rid of a vehicle still running perfectly and with relatively low mileage is something I’ve being wrestling with since the car turned 10years old. Now after 14 years and just at 105k/klm, possible failure of major electronic components could cost more than the vehicle’s worth.
The environmental issue was just one of several considerations in getting a 2022/23 model, others being of getting improved fuel consumption with better performance, and nil restrictions with the car in certain city centres. Plus some of the amazing latest hybrid technology and engineering that Honda are renown for are proving too great to ignore.
None of the hybrid or all-electric vehicles I’d researched really excited me in terms of driveability with the exception of Tesla - which didn’t tick the boxes of reliability, spares availability and especially price.
From my engineering perspective with the car I have in mind, it appears that Honda have achieved a technological tour de force.
Hoping for a test drive next week, and to discuss 3-5 year lease.
Many thanks again for your thoughts.
Old Sep 20th 2022, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

My old citroen Picasso has clocked up close to 500k and just keeps on going like a beast... I'll keep it until it gives up the ghost. My neighbour drives her 30 year old golf, and won't part with it, even though it cost her a lot in repairs a few years back, and she can afford a new car... Everyone's different and has different considerations of course. If your car is running and doing okay, I'm sure the second-hand market will find a buyer, and you can treat yourself to a hybrid. Hope the test drive goes well.
Old Sep 20th 2022, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

G-J-B & BB, thanks for your replies. You both make some interesting arguments.
The idea of getting rid of a vehicle still running perfectly and with relatively low mileage is something I’ve being wrestling with since the car turned 10years old. Now after 14 years and just at 105k/klm, possible failure of major electronic components could cost more than the vehicle’s worth.
The environmental issue was just one of several considerations in getting a 2022/23 model, others being of getting improved fuel consumption with better performance, and nil restrictions with the car in certain city centres. Plus some of the amazing latest hybrid technology and engineering that Honda are renown for are proving too great to ignore.
None of the hybrid or all-electric vehicles I’d researched really excited me in terms of driveability with the exception of Tesla - which didn’t tick the boxes of reliability, spares availability and especially price.
From my engineering perspective with the car I have in mind, it appears that Honda have achieved a technological tour de force.
Hoping for a test drive next week, and to discuss 3-5 year lease.
Many thanks again for your thoughts.
Just for the record, we all received an email from the City this week, warning us that vehicles with no Crit-Air rating will no longer be allowed within Strasbourg city limits as of the end of this year.

Old Sep 21st 2022, 4:51 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Just for the record, we all received an email from the City this week, warning us that vehicles with no Crit-Air rating will no longer be allowed within Strasbourg city limits as of the end of this year.
Reading about all these older cars still going strong, I was wondering about that.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G-J-B
My old citroen Picasso has clocked up close to 500k and just keeps on going like a beast... I'll keep it until it gives up the ghost. My neighbour drives her 30 year old golf, and won't part with it, even though it cost her a lot in repairs a few years back, and she can afford a new car... Everyone's different and has different considerations of course. If your car is running and doing okay, I'm sure the second-hand market will find a buyer, and you can treat yourself to a hybrid. Hope the test drive goes well.
Thanks for this. Picasso with close to 500k eh? That's pretty exceptional. You no doubt have looked after it well with regular oil changes etc. I wish you luck and offer thisfor the next 500k.
I see on LBCoin several private sellers with same model/year/specs but with far greater mileage as my car showing a price that I'd be happy to accept. Of course whether they will acually sell for their asking price is another matter. So I have no doubt that mine will eventually find a buyer, especially advertised with fully documented service history etc which most don't appear to have. When I'm ready I definitely won't go for a trade-in as professionals generally give next to nothing, even for vehicles in excellent condition. Plus with a trade-in one has less advantage to negotiate an acceptable discount on a new or s/h vehicle. Over the last 20 years I've sold 3 of our vehicles privately and each time achieved more than an acceptable price. Two years ago we sold with ease Mme TP's 15-year old Yaris which also had fully documented service history which greatly helped.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Sep 21st 2022 at 7:31 am.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

This is interesting and I asked myself what was the CritAir rating of my car - and I hadn't a clue! I wonder how many others like myself.......
We drive to Toulouse usually once a month, which like Strasbourg has a Crit-Air rating (Toulouse I learn is at least Crit-Air 5) above which, one is not allowed to drive in the cities low emission zones.
The official system is a little murky, but from THIS link my vehicle appears to be indicated as Class 3.
Spoiler:

Some more interesting reading:
https://www.environmentalbadge.com/c...rance/#typesfr

https://www.frenchentree.com/living-...itair-sticker/

At this rate we may be all advised to consider a radical change of transport. Anyone for a Penny-Farthing, which at a vintage collection quite recently I learnt is known here as le Grand Bi.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Sep 21st 2022 at 7:42 am.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 8:02 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Annetje
Reading about all these older cars still going strong, I was wondering about that.
This is interesting and I asked myself what was the CritAir rating of my car - and I hadn't a clue! I wonder how many others like myself.......
We drive to Toulouse usually once a month, which like Strasbourg has a Crit-Air rating (Toulouse I learn is at least Crit-Air 5) above which, one is not allowed to drive in the cities low emission zones.
The official system is a little murky, but from THIS link my vehicle appears to be indicated as Class 3.
Spoiler:

Some more interesting reading:
https://www.environmentalbadge.com/c...rance/#typesfr

https://www.frenchentree.com/living-...itair-sticker/

At this rate we may be all advised to consider a radical change of transport. Anyone for a Penny-Farthing, which at a vintage collection quite recently I learnt is known here as le Grand Bi.
Interesting indeed. I read Helen's post this morning and my first thought was "what about us foreign types, would we have to purchase a vignette to enter French cities?"

Off to Wikipedia for some guidelines, but I left none the wiser, except to know that I'd potentially be "violet"

Antwerpen/Anvers is bringing in something similar soon-ish.

Old Sep 21st 2022, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.vignette-pollution.org/a...itair-etranger

Looks like even non-French-residents visiting cities with emissions restrictions in foreign cars will be required to obtain a sticker in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.