British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   New caladonia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/new-caladonia-560667/)

jueinnz Sep 10th 2008 8:49 am

New caladonia

I don't normally post on this end of the forum, but maybe someone can help me out.

I was wondering as New Caledonia or "Noume" is part of France can a UK citizan live and work there? Anybody any ideas?

Thanks for reading....

Ka Ora! Sep 10th 2008 11:01 am

Re: New caladonia

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 6768197)
I don't normally post on this end of the forum, but maybe someone can help me out.

I was wondering as New Caledonia or "Noume" is part of France can a UK citizan live and work there? Anybody any ideas?

Thanks for reading....

As I understand it from talking to a friend who is over here with his family from there for medical Treatment which does not exist there. You have to be a Resident of France first we could be wrong though. If you live there and need Hospitalisation you get Three options Australia, France or No treatment. Which put me off the idea.;) With it's wonderful proximity to Brisbane we started thinking about moving there but shelved it after I sobered up.

Ka Ora! Sep 10th 2008 11:11 am

I also forgot to add that New Caledonia is shortly going to be having a Referendum on it's attachment to France and might end up going solo. But as it stands it is not part of the EU it is just a French Territory, So EU rules do not apply.

val50 Sep 10th 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 6768197)

Thanks for reading....

Found this too
Citzens of the EU (except Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania), Norway, Argentina, Switzerland, New Zealand and Australia do not need visas for stays of up to 3 months. No extension can be granted beyond the three months maximum stay in New Caledonia.

Mikeyc Sep 11th 2008 2:36 am

French Citizens can move to New Caledonia no problem, but as it is not part of the EU, EU citizens can't. It’s like what the Isle of Man is to the UK (EU citizens cannot just move to the Isle of Man and vice versa like any other EU country, but UK Citizens can etc)

The French places overseas that are fully part of the EU (with euro and all) and all EU rules apply (such as freedom of movement) are French Guiana (South America), Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin (Caribbean) and Réunion (Indian Ocean).

New Caledonia and French Polynesia are French territories but not part of the EU. Saint Pierre and Miquelon is part of France and the EU but because of the small size, freedom of movement is only for French Citizens.

Mikey

Ka Ora! Sep 11th 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Mikeyc (Post 6771087)
French Citizens can move to New Caledonia no problem, but as it is not part of the EU, EU citizens can't. It’s like what the Isle of Man is to the UK (EU citizens cannot just move to the Isle of Man and vice versa like any other EU country, but UK Citizens can etc)

The French places overseas that are fully part of the EU (with euro and all) and all EU rules apply (such as freedom of movement) are French Guiana (South America), Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin (Caribbean) and Réunion (Indian Ocean).

New Caledonia and French Polynesia are French territories but not part of the EU. Saint Pierre and Miquelon is part of France and the EU but because of the small size, freedom of movement is only for French Citizens.

Mikey

I would still be interested to know if you need a French Passport or a Carte Sejour will do the trick.

val50 Sep 11th 2008 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Ka Ora! (Post 6771896)
I would still be interested to know if you need a French Passport or a Carte Sejour will do the trick.

Found this from their tourist information:

French nationals must present a valid passport. The I.D. card is not sufficient because of stop-overs in other countries. The passport must be valid 6 months after the date of return.
Foreigners who wish to reside in New Caledonia must request a long-stay visa from the French Consulate or Embassy, or the "Prefecture" (in French Administration) in their country of residence. Metropolitan France resident status does not apply in New Caledonia.

Request for resident status:

Nationals of the European Union can freely settle in New Caledonia on the condition that they have independent means and are self-employed (proof required). Those who wish to obtain salaried employment must request a long-stay visa from the French Consulate or Embassy, or the "Prefecture" (in French Administrations) in their country of residence.

All other foreign nationals including those of the European Union must request a long-stay visa through the French consulate or embassy or through the "Prefecture" of his/her place of residence accompanied by a request for the authorisation to work.

HAUT-COMMISSARIAT DE LA REPUBLIQUE
Direction de la Réglementation et de l’Administration Générale
BP C5 - 98848 Nouméa Cedex
Ph: (687) 26 63 00 - Fax: (687) 27 28 28

jueinnz Sep 11th 2008 7:55 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your replies, So I can't got there then,.... but I can go to the Reunione though :) insteresting,!!!!:thumbsup:

Again thanks everybody :)