Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Need more info about money

Need more info about money

Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:51 am
Just Joined

clotted dream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need more info about money

Have spent hours looking at numerous websites but cant get any figures on cost of living . For example, annual gross income for 2 adults and 2 kids to survive whilst trying to set up a business. Obviously this is very variable but any estimates / comments would be appreciated.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all
Default Re: Need more info about money

Could you be a bit more precise, as you say yourself it is very variable, are you looking for the cost of everything?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

clotted dream is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by priscilia
Could you be a bit more precise, as you say yourself it is very variable, are you looking for the cost of everything?
Well, for example could a family of four live on a salary of 30000 euros gross per year to pay for everything? I havent been able to get an idea of an average wage/ minimum wage and all the info about income tax suggests your net income will be much lower eg. 50% lower?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

the minimum wage is around 900 euros a month, you wouldn't have to pay income tax on that with kids. 30000euros a year should be ok, a lot live on a lot less!
income tax is quite complicated here, on a normal wage (salaire brut) you take about 22% off and you get your take home pay (salaire net) then once a year you fill in a form with all your income for the past year and according to what you make and the size of the family you might have to pay more taxes and it's not really just a percentage, so not easy to calculate!
Other than that I can tell you what we spend roughly, we have 3 kids 6,4 and a 9 months old baby:
rent around here would be between 600 euros in an appartment and 900 euros for a house
our shopping would be between 100 and 150 euros a week, if you want to check prices in a supermarket go to www.auchan.fr
about 100 euros a month on electric bill (that includes the heating)
there's a lot more to add: water, car, taxes that can vary a lot.
There is rent allowance and children's allowance for people with lower wages.
I hope this answers some of your questions
Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Ms Mango will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by priscilia
the minimum wage is around 900 euros a month, you wouldn't have to pay income tax on that with kids. 30000euros a year should be ok, a lot live on a lot less!
income tax is quite complicated here, on a normal wage (salaire brut) you take about 22% off and you get your take home pay (salaire net) then once a year you fill in a form with all your income for the past year and according to what you make and the size of the family you might have to pay more taxes and it's not really just a percentage, so not easy to calculate!
Other than that I can tell you what we spend roughly, we have 3 kids 6,4 and a 9 months old baby:
rent around here would be between 600 euros in an appartment and 900 euros for a house
our shopping would be between 100 and 150 euros a week, if you want to check prices in a supermarket go to www.auchan.fr
about 100 euros a month on electric bill (that includes the heating)
there's a lot more to add: water, car, taxes that can vary a lot.
There is rent allowance and children's allowance for people with lower wages.
I hope this answers some of your questions
Pricilla,

If you don't mind me asking, what do you and your husband do there? Do you work? If so, what kind of work?

Just trying to do our homework about life and living in France before we make the big move and buy a place. We also have 3 little kiddies - 4, 2 and 1, so your situation sounds a lot like ours.

Thanks...
Old Mar 19th 2006, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Michael E will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ms Mango
Pricilla,

If you don't mind me asking, what do you and your husband do there? Do you work? If so, what kind of work?

Just trying to do our homework about life and living in France before we make the big move and buy a place. We also have 3 little kiddies - 4, 2 and 1, so your situation sounds a lot like ours.

Thanks...
Certainly it is less expensive to live in rural (non Paris) France and the quality of life is much better as it the food, wine and laid back lifestyle. Certainly I could not achieve the same standard of living or the size/quality of house in the UK. I make my money in the UK and import it to France so I do very well. There is relatively high unemployment in France (partly because their employment laws make it impossible to sack people so employers do not want to take on 'extra' staff!) As well as the high unemployment wages are lower but then the French do a 35 hour week.
I love the country - love the people - love the lifestyle. If you are a plumber or tiler then there is lots of work but I 'think' you have to have the correct 'paper' qualifications to do these sort of jobs. Doctors and Dentists do well and appear to work hard but of course they are self employed....
The health system is brilliant - far better than the UK but you do have to make a smallish financial contribution - unless you are very poor or have a long term illness.
Michael