Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

MOVING FROM UK TO FRANCE

MOVING FROM UK TO FRANCE

Old Jun 16th 2020, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

MANDYYY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MOVING FROM UK TO FRANCE

Can anyone help? I am a Registered Mental Health Nurse and a social worker working in the UK. I have also been learning french and in advanced level about to take my B2 French Exam. I work with the NHS in UK. I am considering moving to France to live with my french boyfriend as he does not speak English.

Is there any chance of getting a job as a nurse or a social worker in France?
If so; what are the steps I need to take to achieve this?

Any information that can help will be appreciated especially with the Brexit Change.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING FROM UK TO FRANCE

Unless you have fluent French I would say say little chance.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum
This question has been asked previously on the forum.
Use the "search " button on the top right of the forum index page.
HTH
Old Jun 17th 2020, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

May contain nuts is an unknown quantity at this point

This looks like a good place to start.. (a grab-bag of threads about moving to France)
Mcn
Old Jun 17th 2020, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy, have you looked at the RCN's website about this https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-...rking-overseas ? It has information and also links to follow and other organisations you can contact.
From a quick look it seemed that UK mental health nursing qualifications may not be recognised but I didn't look at the detail.
France doesn't have exactly the same approach nor the same system of social workers and mental health support as the UK. Are you prepared to retrain, could you afford to?
I would think very carefully about giving up a secure job in any country right now, if you need to work. Unemployment is always higher in France than the UK, and is set to shoot up everywhere as a result of the health crisis.
Also, be aware that French law doesn't give "unofficial" partners the same rights as married or PACS'd partners - you would be treated as an individual and your right to healthcare etc would depend on your own status in France.

Sorry to be so negative but on the plus side if you're at B2 level in French that is excellent. If social work turns out a dead end, why not start looking at the online French job boards such as https://www.pole-emploi.fr/accueil/ , https://www.indeed.fr/ etc? You don't say where your boyfriend lives but obviously that makes a vast difference to your chances of finding work.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 8:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Hi Mandy, have you looked at the RCN's website about this https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-...rking-overseas ? It has information and also links to follow and other organisations you can contact.
From a quick look it seemed that UK mental health nursing qualifications may not be recognised but I didn't look at the detail.
France doesn't have exactly the same approach nor the same system of social workers and mental health support as the UK. Are you prepared to retrain, could you afford to?
I would think very carefully about giving up a secure job in any country right now, if you need to work. Unemployment is always higher in France than the UK, and is set to shoot up everywhere as a result of the health crisis.
Also, be aware that French law doesn't give "unofficial" partners the same rights as married or PACS'd partners - you would be treated as an individual and your right to healthcare etc would depend on your own status in France.

Sorry to be so negative but on the plus side if you're at B2 level in French that is excellent. If social work turns out a dead end, why not start looking at the online French job boards such as https://www.pole-emploi.fr/accueil/ , https://www.indeed.fr/ etc? You don't say where your boyfriend lives but obviously that makes a vast difference to your chances of finding work.

Good luck with your plans.
+1
https://www.infirmiers.com/votre-car...en-france.html
also gives detailed info if you click on "m'inscrire".
At the top of the page, they say you must firstly "master" the French language to be able to work as a nurse in France, which is logical. I'm afraid that B2 level wouldn't be sufficient...
https://www.cidj.com/metiers/assista...sistant-social
says that you have to have the corresponding French State Diploma to work as an Assistante Sociale, which is also logical, as they must be up-to-date with all legal and social issues and regulations in France and be able to communicate in French on all manner of problems.
I confirm that France is "partner-unfriendly" and you would be considered by all Administrations as two separate individuals. Most important would be your healthcare coverage which, as said, would depend on your employment status and you wouldn't be entitled to dole without having paid into the System. When applying for residency you would have to justify "minimum resources". Your bf's income wouldn't count if you aren't legally bound....
In the present state of the French economy (and your bf will be well aware of it), you may do better to keep your secure job and meet up with him for weekends/holidays, until you're sure of a secure job in France.
I, too, am sorry not to be more optimistic, but if you concentrate on passing the A1 level and study French medical books while continuing to work in the UK, you may pass the French Nursing Exam. later on and be able do your worthy work here.
HTH
(Sorry, I should be replying directly to MANDYYY)

Old Jun 21st 2020, 8:51 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to a link on another Europe forum, I found this one concerning France:

https://www.guichet-qualifications.f...nte/infirmier/

Among other info, 2.c. confirms that one must have the linguistic knowledge necessary for carrying out the activity (nursing) in France, as well as mastery of the weights and measures system employed in France (no idea what system the UK employs nowadays, but this may be pertinent....).
HTH
Old Jun 24th 2020, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much, this has been a great help. At the moment we are meeting up at the weekends and breaks and I am rescheduling my work in UK to allow us to meet. He lives in Toulouse and great eye opener to know that France is not that sold to the idea of partners not legally bounded as well is great.

Thanks indeed great education ; great site and very helpful people.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

This is very helpful. Thank you so much. It helps to find out about this and I really cannot thank you enough.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

You are not negative at all, you are simply stating the fact and I thank you. This is an area that my knowledge is next to zero. This wealth of information you have given me is brilliant and it is just amazing to learn all this .

It is the map I need and I suppose there is no rush. I am scheduling my work to allow us to see each other enough times and it will just have to be that for the moment. In the mean time, I should continue with my french studies and see where I go with that.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Its really amazing how helpful you guys are here. I am so grateful. This has helped me developped a pathway of what would help. My boyfriend lives at Toulouse so thank God it is not impossible to still see each other enough times.

Thanks for all the guidance... priceless!!!
Old Jun 24th 2020, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Of course it is ... thank you. Great eye opener this is.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

I will keep working on my french t the C level. Thank you for the guidance
Old Jun 24th 2020, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Sorry did i mention in my reply that he lives in Toulouse.

The system in France is definitely different
Old Jun 25th 2020, 9:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MANDYYY
You are not negative at all, you are simply stating the fact and I thank you. This is an area that my knowledge is next to zero. This wealth of information you have given me is brilliant and it is just amazing to learn all this .

It is the map I need and I suppose there is no rush. I am scheduling my work to allow us to see each other enough times and it will just have to be that for the moment. In the mean time, I should continue with my french studies and see where I go with that.
Hi, just quoting one of your various posts!
We're here to advise on all the French quirks which French "partners" are unaware of, as they've never come across those concerning expats.
But your bf should know that, if you happen to buy property together, you should ideally be legally bound, to protect each other in the Succession (esp. if either of you has children from a previous relationship). If you aren't ready to commit yourselves, the Notaire dealing with the purchase would help find a solution in the best interests of each party.
All the very best!