Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving with a teenager to midi Pyrenees, possibly Villefranche in Aveyron

Moving with a teenager to midi Pyrenees, possibly Villefranche in Aveyron

Old Apr 7th 2018, 2:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with a teenager to midi Pyrenees, possibly Villefranche in Aveyron

Originally Posted by dmu
A big bravo to your children, it just goes to show that there are exceptions to the rule....
As a matter of interest, did they stay in France after secondary school and, forgive me for being nosey, but one of my daughters did a Bac L and there were limited career openings after Uni, what did your daughter do after the Bac L?
Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

There are kids that will cope and thrive in all kinds of situations and others that won't cope with moving within the same country.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Adore Ariege is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with a teenager to midi Pyrenees, possibly Villefranche in Aveyron

Thanks. Well, my daughter, now 30, married a Frenchman and lives near Toulouse. I was going to add onto my original reply that she actually regretted taking the Bac L for the same reason you mentioned. She went to university in Montpellier to do Law, briefly, but it wasn't her thing she discovered. After 16 months working as a waitress (not in a cocktail bar, haha) she then did some more studying and now works as a directrice for a CLAE (Centre de Loisir associé � l'école). My son went back to England a couple of years ago and works in an hotel but he misses France so he might return one day.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 7:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adore Ariege
Thanks. Well, my daughter, now 30, married a Frenchman and lives near Toulouse. I was going to add onto my original reply that she actually regretted taking the Bac L for the same reason you mentioned. She went to university in Montpellier to do Law, briefly, but it wasn't her thing she discovered. After 16 months working as a waitress (not in a cocktail bar, haha) she then did some more studying and now works as a directrice for a CLAE (Centre de Loisir associé � l'école). My son went back to England a couple of years ago and works in an hotel but he misses France so he might return one day.

So did mine, and it wasn't her thing, either! She finished her Law Degree in the Erasmus programme, stayed on in Germany afterwards, and did further studies there.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has not been back since the original post.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

Ours were 8 and 10 when we moved to France and I would say that is about as late as we would have wanted to do that move for their sake ,especially as we had already done several international moves before that. They started in the local primary and then college, but then went to a private lycée (though fees nothing like British private or French international schools). They both chose to do Bac S, which is hard and does open most doors but is not the be all and end all if they are not adapted academically to the sciences. Interesting thing is that they both now want to go back to the UK for study and jobs and so have a wide range of options to chose from.