Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to South West France

Moving to South West France

Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to South West France

Yes, it does sound lovely!

If anyone has any information on villages in the Gironde or Lot-et-Garonne area, I would be very interested! My mum lives in Mesterrieux which is close to La Reole, so I would like to be reasonably close to her if possible.

Good villages and the ones to avoid!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

You'll be pleased to hear A is alive and well and out of hospital with a warning that he must not drink at all with his current medication. His wife R came round with a piece of birthday gateau and we shared a laugh about A being such a flirt - at seventy-seven!
Here I have a confession to make. I'm not very good at holding my end up in the foodie stakes however I do offer a complimentary therapy which goes down well and is much appreciated. I sometimes wonder what my professional association would say if I offered to pay my fees with two leeks and a carrot, even if it was a very large one!
As for neighbourliness it's very easy for cultural misunderstandings to occur and even when we understand what we are supposed to do for old habits to die hard. I get told off for saying please and thank you so much. The French just don't do it to the same degree and get irritated. On the other hand the ritual courtesy of saying hello and good bye is far more elaborate and you will walk down a supermarket queue to say hello to a friend, even interupt the start of a meeting to ' faire la bise' (kiss on both cheeks) everyone present or go up to a neighbour to say hello. We are so casual in comparison and I have to school myself to slow down and make the effort. Of course it all makes life so much richer. I feel so much more involved with everyone here - English, French and Dutch, than I did in Bristol.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:27 am
kdh
Just Joined

kdh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

We have just returned from a trip to the Lot et Garonne having just put in an offer on a house. At the moment we are planning to use it as a second home. it has two gites attached as well, so we plan on renting them out.Long term I would like to move permanently. We have 3 boys aged 8, 10 and 12. I just dont know enough about french education to know whether it is worth moving children over permanently. it is also a big upheaval for them.

One of the owners of a house we looked at said they were returning to the UK becuase they didnt think their children would get jobs if they stayed in France after they finished their education because they werent French, and there arent enough jobs for the French let alone foreigners.

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

scaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant futurescaredycat has a brilliant future

Hello everyone,
it's beautiful in England at the moment, yesterday it was so sunny and warm that people were walking round in t-shirts!.. In November!
When the sun goes down it casts a golden glow over the brightly coloured autumn trees and looks stunning. We have starlings roosting round here and they flock in their thousands in the evenings, swooping and swirling.
It's even forecast nice weather over the weekend for our bonfires.. it's usually damp.

We are on our way to France on Friday! The ferry is booked and so is our gite for one month. I'm really looking forward to it.. this is the beginning of our adventure. I hope to find a house I like so much that I have no qualms about leaving the UK.

Good luck to everyone else in our position
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:56 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scaredycat
Hello everyone,
it's beautiful in England at the moment, yesterday it was so sunny and warm that people were walking round in t-shirts!.. In November!
When the sun goes down it casts a golden glow over the brightly coloured autumn trees and looks stunning. We have starlings roosting round here and they flock in their thousands in the evenings, swooping and swirling.
It's even forecast nice weather over the weekend for our bonfires.. it's usually damp.

We are on our way to France on Friday! The ferry is booked and so is our gite for one month. I'm really looking forward to it.. this is the beginning of our adventure. I hope to find a house I like so much that I have no qualms about leaving the UK.

Good luck to everyone else in our position
Hi Scardycat,That sounds lovely.Good luck on your trip,hope it gives you a good insight.This trip will give you an insight.In the end hopefully your gut feeling will tell you wether its for you or not.So really enjoy the time its your lives.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:02 pm
Banned

tery little will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kdh
Hi everyone,

We have just returned from a trip to the Lot et Garonne having just put in an offer on a house. At the moment we are planning to use it as a second home. it has two gites attached as well, so we plan on renting them out.Long term I would like to move permanently. We have 3 boys aged 8, 10 and 12. I just dont know enough about french education to know whether it is worth moving children over permanently. it is also a big upheaval for them.

One of the owners of a house we looked at said they were returning to the UK becuase they didnt think their children would get jobs if they stayed in France after they finished their education because they werent French, and there arent enough jobs for the French let alone foreigners.

Any thoughts?

People tell all sorts of tails for returning to to U.K. But the reason is still with them.
TERRY
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Taner Baybars is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lewc
Hi there - My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to France around this time next year. We have a property in London to sell, which will set us up nicely for buying a property with a small if no mortgage.

We are both currently learning french (as best we can!), so hopefully by the time we come out we will have the basics and can build on it from there.

My boyfriend is a carpenter and I work in interior design and project management of domestic refurbishments. Do you think we would struggle in getting work, or is this something which is in demand? Another option for myself is to run B&B/gites business.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks.
In my opinion you should take advice from the French embassy rather than rely on people here or people who intend to emigrate. I have lived here for 20 years but i have known France and its culture for well over 40. I am fluent. Even so, i am often puzzled by French paradoxes in behaviour and social contact. I am in the Languedoc, before i was in the Charente. I suggest that you go for the Charente where people are much less hurried and more welcoming and there is plenty of room unlike the crowded and overburdended South. And remember that medical care is becoming terribly complicated. Take that into account before your move. Good luck. Timothy.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:29 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taner Baybars
In my opinion you should take advice from the French embassy rather than rely on people here or people who intend to emigrate. I have lived here for 20 years but i have known France and its culture for well over 40. I am fluent. Even so, i am often puzzled by French paradoxes in behaviour and social contact. I am in the Languedoc, before i was in the Charente. I suggest that you go for the Charente where people are much less hurried and more welcoming and there is plenty of room unlike the crowded and overburdended South. And remember that medical care is becoming terribly complicated. Take that into account before your move. Good luck. Timothy.
That's an intriguing response Timothy! Why not the French embassy indeed but why rather that than people here and who intend to emigrate. Those here, like yourself, can give informed opinions, and those who intend to move may well have a fund of research that they can share and/or be inspired or inspiring.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

FTBEver is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Moving to South West France

I'm French and I live in the South-West. If you think that you will find a job here, you are wrong ! You say that you don't speak French, and French people don't speak english, so you 'll meet some BIG problems. English people living in France are old and retired. people who planed ti get money from guest houses made a big mistake. So, think twice before coming. And don't forget that French people don't like Brits... So, you will not find people to help you.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:37 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FTBEver
I'm French and I live in the South-West. If you think that you will find a job here, you are wrong ! You say that you don't speak French, and French people don't speak english, so you 'll meet some BIG problems. English people living in France are old and retired. people who planed ti get money from guest houses made a big mistake. So, think twice before coming. And don't forget that French people don't like Brits... So, you will not find people to help you.
Bonjour a vous aussi!

I must tell my French friends that they don't like me
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:43 pm

Hallo again

I love my French friends.xxxx
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

okay, sounds like we've got another one
Shall we ban the troll now or do you all want a go at him
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
Lets let him stew for the moment
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by val50
Let the games comenceIts good speed typing excersize
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Lets let him stew for the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.