Reload this Page >

Moving to Paris...

Moving to Paris...

Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Robert J is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Moving to Paris...

Hi everyone,

My name is Rob and I am new to the forum.

I am currently living in the UK with my girlfriend (who is French) and we are discussing the possibility of moving to Paris. My girlfriend is originally from there and she is quite keen to return now that she has finished her studies at university.

My main concern/obstacle is the language. I was always quite good with French but I never carried it on beyond GCSE level and although I have been using Rosetta Stone for a couple of months I just don't feel it is enough.

I have heard that moving to the country is the best way to learn the language but I just can't seem to make that first step.

I sometimes feel that I may be a little too old to pick up a language (24 in September)

Maybe I just need a little bit of reassurance, I don't know. Is there anyone else out there that has done something similar? How did you find the transition?

Looking forward to some responses!

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Paris...

Oh for the days when I was just 24!!

Take the plunge! My OH came to France with NO french at all at the age of 40; whilst not yet what I would call fluent, he gets by very well now and agencies here are happy to have him on their books;
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:05 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robert J
Hi everyone,

I am currently living in the UK with my girlfriend (who is French) and we are discussing the possibility of moving to Paris. My girlfriend is originally from there and she is quite keen to return now that she has finished her studies at university.

My main concern/obstacle is the language. I was always quite good with French but I never carried it on beyond GCSE level and although I have been using Rosetta Stone for a couple of months I just don't feel it is enough.

I have heard that moving to the country is the best way to learn the language but I just can't seem to make that first step.

I sometimes feel that I may be a little too old to pick up a language (24 in September)

Maybe I just need a little bit of reassurance, I don't know. Is there anyone else out there that has done something similar? How did you find the transition?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum, Having a French partner will probably make it a bit easier as you have a tutor around all the time. If you get any issues give me a shout
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: Moving to Paris...

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
Oh for the days when I was just 24!!

Take the plunge! My OH came to France with NO french at all at the age of 40; whilst not yet what I would call fluent, he gets by very well now and agencies here are happy to have him on their books;

Ha-ha I suppose I am not that old. Thank you for the response.

Some days I think to myself that Paris is the place for me and I should just go for it, but then other times I feel a little bit too scared.

Just out of interest, why did you move to France?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Welcome to the Forum, Having a French partner will probably make it a bit easier as you have a tutor around all the time. If you get any issues give me a shout
Thanks!

I thought it would help having a French partner too but because I have always spoken English with her I think I would always find myself reverting back to that. She always pushes me to use what little language skills I have so I guess that is a start
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it! I met a girl in Paris, and moved out here, from Greater Manchester, 3 years ago (I was 31 at the time); I didn't speak the language (sure helps having a French girlfriend, though mine insists on speaking only English to me, which is frustrating to say the least), but I've managed to get by.
Although I'm leaving the city soon for the countryside, I have enjoyed my time here - when you're young and carefree, there's so much to see and do. I was always anxious about making such a big and unpredictable move, but haven't regretted it at all - it's been a very interesting, and enjoyable three years - I've even had two kids since being here (though one of them is due in the next day or two, or even today), so doesn't quite count yet!

Last edited by G-J-B; Mar 20th 2011 at 6:51 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:23 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
(though one of them is due in the next day or two, or even today), so doesn't quite count yet!
Hi, don't want to hi-hack this thread, but LET US KNOW THE MINUTE JUNIOR II ARRIVES!!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Go for it! I met a girl in Paris, and moved out here, from Greater Manchester, 3 years ago (I was 31 at the time); I didn't speak the language (sure helps having a French girlfriend, though mine insists on speaking only English to me, which is frustrating to say the least), but I've managed to get by.
Although I'm leaving the city soon for the countryside, I have enjoyed my time here - when you're young and carefree, there's so much to see and do. I was always anxious about making such a big and unpredictable move, but haven't regretted it at all - it's been a very interesting, and enjoyable three years - I've even had two kids since being here (though one of them is due in the next day or two, or even today), so doesn't quite count yet!
Thanks G-J-B!

It's great to hear about someone with a similar situation to mine.

How did you go about working in Paris?

And as dmu mentioned, please let us know when the little one arrives!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I was self-employed in the UK, so I was able to continue doing the same work over in France. Without being in fluent in French, work isn't so easy to come by, but it's not impossible, and you'd stand a better chance in Paris than elsewhere. My partner's ex was Australian, and when they came over for a few months, they got work working in a British pub in Paris. I know a couple of young British girls who live in the city - one is a secetary in a British/French/American law firm, and the other teaches English to the French. One of my Italian friends also knows a middle aged lady from Manchester who doesn't speak French, but has continued her hair dressing business here.

Here's to hoping I get a full night's sleep tonight.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I moved over here when slightly younger than you are now. My French wasn't very good, but at that time I had a French girlfriend whom I subsequently married, only to divorce 36 years later, but that's another story. "Sleeping with one's dictionary" as one colleague put it does help, a lot, as does having children, since one has to get involved in the nitty gritty that goes to make up everyday life in any country. Children have friends who have parents and so one rapidly gets sucked into a network of friends, in which French is going to be the dominant language. Don't allow yourself to be spoken to systematically in English, as this can result in a feeling of being the village idiot, the bloke that can't speak like ordinary people do. Not necessarily a good thing for one's self esteem.
You don't say what line of work you are in. Whether or not you need French professionally may govern how well you fit in. If I were you, I wouldn't just trust to luck jobs-wise. France can be a hard place to get a regular job in, and there can be nothing worse than bumming around, not knowing from one month to the next what you're going to be doing. I experienced that, and it made me pull myself together and get a real job. Paris is also chocabloc with English-speaking people all on the look-out for a limited number of jobs.

After say three months here you'll realize just how many reflexes have been acquired linguistically and after a year you'll have no trouble, as long as you make the effort.

Why Paris? Don't forget that Paris is an expensive place to live in and rented accomodation is not that easy to come by. Landlords often/ always require what they call a "caution", i.e. someone that will guarantee to pay your rent if you can't. Unless of course your girlfriend has private means....

I've known loads of people that have come over not really knowing French very well, but that have progressed very rapidly. The main thing is to have a decent grounding. (A musical ear helps too, with pronunciation.) If that is the case, and it sounds as if it might be, then there shouldn't be any problem. And anyway, what on earth would the point of going to a foreign country be if one can't speak the language? One would miss out on so much of the experience.

Anyway, good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

jimi292 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Moving to Paris...

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Hey Rob,

I am currently 34 and am moving to Paris in 2 days, at present I have mere notions of French nad am filled with dread and excitement at the prospect of making a go of it.

I am bilingual in Spanish after having lived there for 8 years and did the same thing there, not a clue before I went and confidently fluent witihin 3 months.

I had some good advice from a very good friend and it worked fantastically for me;

After brushing your teeth repeat the alphabet at least 10 times it takes 5 minutes and helps to set your mind with the sound of the language you'll be imersing youself in.

Write a diary making sure that you say it out loud as you write, only one rule make sure you write today one sentance more than the day before. Finding someone to mark your mistakes is essential too.

Also try and immerse yourself in the foreign culture (at least for the first 3 months) as it is intertwined to the language and is an important tool for speeding up the learning. It is all to easy to tend towards the english culture in a foreign country for comforts sake.

Hope it helps.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
I moved over here when slightly younger than you are now. My French wasn't very good, but at that time I had a French girlfriend whom I subsequently married, only to divorce 36 years later, but that's another story. "Sleeping with one's dictionary" as one colleague put it does help, a lot, as does having children, since one has to get involved in the nitty gritty that goes to make up everyday life in any country. Children have friends who have parents and so one rapidly gets sucked into a network of friends, in which French is going to be the dominant language. Don't allow yourself to be spoken to systematically in English, as this can result in a feeling of being the village idiot, the bloke that can't speak like ordinary people do. Not necessarily a good thing for one's self esteem.
You don't say what line of work you are in. Whether or not you need French professionally may govern how well you fit in. If I were you, I wouldn't just trust to luck jobs-wise. France can be a hard place to get a regular job in, and there can be nothing worse than bumming around, not knowing from one month to the next what you're going to be doing. I experienced that, and it made me pull myself together and get a real job. Paris is also chocabloc with English-speaking people all on the look-out for a limited number of jobs.

After say three months here you'll realize just how many reflexes have been acquired linguistically and after a year you'll have no trouble, as long as you make the effort.

Why Paris? Don't forget that Paris is an expensive place to live in and rented accomodation is not that easy to come by. Landlords often/ always require what they call a "caution", i.e. someone that will guarantee to pay your rent if you can't. Unless of course your girlfriend has private means....

I've known loads of people that have come over not really knowing French very well, but that have progressed very rapidly. The main thing is to have a decent grounding. (A musical ear helps too, with pronunciation.) If that is the case, and it sounds as if it might be, then there shouldn't be any problem. And anyway, what on earth would the point of going to a foreign country be if one can't speak the language? One would miss out on so much of the experience.

Anyway, good luck.
Thank you for your comments Peabrain.

I work as a receptionist for a company that deals with serviced/conventional office space so if I was to carry on in that capacity I am sure I would need to speak fluent French. I have a business degree but have been unable to put it into good use due to a lack of jobs here in England.

I can't really think of any jobs where I would only have to speak English, do you? Either way I am going to be 100% committed to learning the language should I make the move (as you said what is the point of going if not to learn).

Paris (well actually Bondy, in the suburbs of Paris) is where my girlfriends family live, so it would be the natural place to start, especially with free accommodation on the cards until one of us is working!

The best case scenario would be for my girlfriend to walk into a job and me to begin taking French lessons at some sort of school. However I understand that is probably very unlikely in the current climate.

Do you live in Paris Peabrain?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimi292
Hey Rob,

I am currently 34 and am moving to Paris in 2 days, at present I have mere notions of French nad am filled with dread and excitement at the prospect of making a go of it.

I am bilingual in Spanish after having lived there for 8 years and did the same thing there, not a clue before I went and confidently fluent witihin 3 months.

I had some good advice from a very good friend and it worked fantastically for me;

After brushing your teeth repeat the alphabet at least 10 times it takes 5 minutes and helps to set your mind with the sound of the language you'll be imersing youself in.

Write a diary making sure that you say it out loud as you write, only one rule make sure you write today one sentance more than the day before. Finding someone to mark your mistakes is essential too.

Also try and immerse yourself in the foreign culture (at least for the first 3 months) as it is intertwined to the language and is an important tool for speeding up the learning. It is all to easy to tend towards the english culture in a foreign country for comforts sake.

Hope it helps.
Hey Jimi,

Thanks for the advice. Those little exercises are something that I will definitely take on board should I make the big move!

Would you mind if I asked why you chose Paris?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

jimi292 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Jimi,

Thanks for the advice. Those little exercises are something that I will definitely take on board should I make the big move!

Would you mind if I asked why you chose Paris?
Not at all, there are always ever two reasons for making such a change, love or money, and I haven't got a job yet.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Thank you for your comments Peabrain.

I work as a receptionist for a company that deals with serviced/conventional office space so if I was to carry on in that capacity I am sure I would need to speak fluent French. I have a business degree but have been unable to put it into good use due to a lack of jobs here in England.

I can't really think of any jobs where I would only have to speak English, do you? Either way I am going to be 100% committed to learning the language should I make the move (as you said what is the point of going if not to learn).

Paris (well actually Bondy, in the suburbs of Paris) is where my girlfriends family live, so it would be the natural place to start, especially with free accommodation on the cards until one of us is working!

The best case scenario would be for my girlfriend to walk into a job and me to begin taking French lessons at some sort of school. However I understand that is probably very unlikely in the current climate.

Do you live in Paris Peabrain?
Hi again,
If you have a business degree then you might be able to find a job, as English-speakers with decent qualifications are in some demand. However, we are going through a major crisis, unemployment is high and there's a lot of competition. If I were you, I don't think I'd bother with a language school, unless your French really isn't up to scratch. The people that teach in language schools tend to be latter-day slaves.
I'm not sure I'd come over without having found a job. That's as important as mastering the language.
I live in Lyon. Bondy isn't the nicest spot to live in, but it's probably not too expensive and fairly handy for Paris.
PB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.