Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to the Limousin region with horses - any other horsey people out there??

Wikiposts

Moving to the Limousin region with horses - any other horsey people out there??

Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Supermrslang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the Limousin region with horses - any other horsey people out there??

Hi all

I am new to this forum and looking for some advice please.

My husband and I are actively looking for a property in this region with land for our 2 horses. We have visited this area a few times and loved it, however, we do not know a lot about the equestrian side.

My husband will still be working in the UK and returning at wkds so I will be on my own during the week. We don't have a big budget as we are wanting to be mortgage free. We are now arranging to view some properties but would like some views/ opinions from people who are or have been in a similar situation. It is a life changing decision which we are very much looking forward to but there is an awful lot to get our heads around.

Horses is my passion and I am hoping that I may get to meet other similar people through my hobby, can anyone give advise whether any part of this area is suitable for people with horses (hacking, local events/ competitions/ meeting others)? Or is there another area that maybe we should also consider?

Thanks for getting this far, any advice at all (buying, moving, animals etc) will be much appreciated
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:23 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Limousin region with horses - any other horsey people out there??

Originally Posted by Supermrslang
Hi all

My husband and I are actively looking for a property in this region with land for our 2 horses. We have visited this area a few times and loved it, however, we do not know a lot about the equestrian side.

My husband will still be working in the UK and returning at wkds so I will be on my own during the week. We don't have a big budget as we are wanting to be mortgage free. We are now arranging to view some properties but would like some views/ opinions from people who are or have been in a similar situation. It is a life changing decision which we are very much looking forward to but there is an awful lot to get our heads around.

Horses is my passion and I am hoping that I may get to meet other similar people through my hobby, can anyone give advise whether any part of this area is suitable for people with horses (hacking, local events/ competitions/ meeting others)? Or is there another area that maybe we should also consider?

Thanks for getting this far, any advice at all (buying, moving, animals etc) will be much appreciated
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
I can't help on the horsey side, but would suggest that you find out about your Tax Residents' status and healthcare coverage, if you yourself are living here permanently and your OH is in paid employment in the UK and presumably spending less than 6 months in France at a time.
Others in the know will come along to advise, I just wanted to bring up the subject in case you hadn't thought about it!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Limousin region with horses - any other horsey people out there??

Originally Posted by Supermrslang
Hi all

Why don't you Google this Centre de Formation Équestre as a starting point to find the equestrian associations in your chosen area.

Try here http://www.limousinacheval.com/index.php

Also have a read at this recent post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788533

If you browse the Forum you will find lots of interesting posts and you can do a specific search from the top right of the France index page.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Supermrslang is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tip on tax & healthcare, we are looking into this and trying to get our head around it all, we hope eventually that my OH will move out permanently but that is the longer term plan. We are lucky to have a friend in another region of France who is also helping us with understanding the French system.

I did read the earlier thread regarding the lady with the horses. I have tried to google for sites but didn't have much luck, it would be great way for me to get to know other people and maybe have company for rides out & get know more about this beautiful area.

I will have a good look at those links