Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to the Limousin

Moving to the Limousin

Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:32 am
Just Joined

meul167 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the Limousin

Hello, Myself and my wife are planning on moving into a barn in Correze and are after every scrap of advice we can get on renovation costs, insurances, taxes language courses in fact we need to know everything about living in France.
We have a limited budget which i am sure most people start with but we love the lifestyle so much we are going to do it no matter what happens.
Any help in any of the above matters would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks,
Paul and Merriel.
P.S we will be near Bugeat.

Last edited by meul167; Aug 28th 2011 at 10:47 am.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:07 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Limousin

Originally Posted by meul167
Hello, Myself and my wife are planning on moving into a barn in Correze and are after every scrap of advice we can get on renovation costs, insurances, taxes language courses in fact we need to know everything about living in France.
We have a limited budget which i am sure most people start with but we love the lifestyle so much we are going to do it no matter what happens.
Any help in any of the above matters would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks,
Paul and Merriel.
P.S we will be near Bugeat.
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Healthcare, which is something you haven't mentioned, but is probably the most important factor to consider, depends on what your status is: retired, working, non-working pre-retirees, etc.. Let us know your status, and we can advise you!
Renovating a barn first involves a visit to your local Mairie, to apply for planning permission (for extensions or any visible changes) or to declare the interior works, e.g. bathroom. No idea about costs, even if I knew what needed to be done!
Home and civil liability insurance are covered in the same policy, and the same Insurance Agent can also insure your car.
You'll have Taxe Foncière (property tax) and Taxe d'Habitation (occupiers' tax) to pay on your barn. Depending on where your income comes from, some one will come along to advise on Income Tax.
Can't help on language courses, but IMHO, you should start ASAP before you arrive. But with all the French bureaucracy, esp. re renovating, you'll still need a French-speaker to accompany you to the Mairie.
Hope this helps, but give us more details on your personal situation and we'll be able to help more. Some one from the area might even be around to answer more specific local questions, eg the local taxes mentioned above.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

meul167 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dmu,
Both myself and my wife are in our 40's so no where near retirement we will try to earn an income in country (i believe this will be very difficult) and will be concentrating on renovation primarily.
The barn has already got planning permission but a visit to the mairie is on the cards.
The property is a shell so i believe there may be a reduction in taxes. (read on another thread).
We will be accompanied by our 2 dogs 2cats and 1 horse.
we have no income just the shirts on our backs and our renovation money (hopefully enough).
hope this helps.
Paul and Merriel.
P.S. Thanks for the welcome. sorry

Last edited by meul167; Aug 28th 2011 at 2:10 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:43 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meul167
Hi dmu,
Both myself and my wife are in our 40's so no where near retirement we will try to earn an income in country (i believe this will be very difficult) and will be concentrating on renovation primarily.
The barn has already got planning permission but a visit to the mairie is on the cards.
The property is a shell so i believe there may be a reduction in taxes. (read on another thread).
We will be accompanied by our 2 dogs 2cats and 1 horse.
we have no income just the shirts on our backs and our renovation money (hopefully enough).
hope this helps.
Paul and Merriel.
P.S. Thanks for the welcome. sorry
Hello again!
There's a recent thread called "health insurance" (scroll down a few threads) which gives indications about healthcare coverage for non-working non-retirees, and you could also do a forum search on the subject. Even if you're in good health now, you never know what will happen in the future, so do look into this question and bring over the relevant papers and consider taking out a Mutuelle to cover what the Social Security doesn't reimburse.
Just to give you an idea of the cost of living in France, a couple will spend an average of, say, 900€ per month just to survive (food, heating, utilities, insurances, petrol, taxes, ...). This covers the basics, without treats, and without counting animal food and vet fees, nor the Mutuelle for yourselves. Please bear this in mind when you're sorting out your finances!
Sorry I can't give any idea about the costs of renovating, but bear in mind that French Standards are different at least for electricity and plumbing if not for everything, and other members will advise you about complying with them and getting the work signed off (for insurance purposes).
Good luck in your venture!