Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving from Italy- questions about school/childcare etc.

Moving from Italy- questions about school/childcare etc.

Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future
Default Moving from Italy- questions about school/childcare etc.

Hi everyone,

I'm usually on the Italy site but have popped over to ask a few questions as we're considering a move to France.

My Italian OH and I (I'm British) would like to move to Brittany (Finistere) with our one-year-old. Initially we plan on renting, with a view to buying a property eventually. I work from home as a translator and most of my clients are in France, so I would transfer my business over to a French one. My OH hopes to find work in the area- he does speak some French although he isn't fluent, and he's willing to do some factory-type work initially in order to get his language up to scratch. He is an estate agent by trade but isn't working in Italy right now, so doesn't have much to lose in that respect. However, we would need some kind of childcare arrangement if he's to be able to look for work.

The initial plan was to get our daughter into école maternelle in September as she will be two by then, but I've recently discovered that they would expect her to be out of nappies and I think that at 25 months that can't be guaranteed! So my first question is, can they start school later in the year (say, January or after Easter) or would we have to wait until the following September?

I hear you have to sign your kids up for crèche before they're born so that's out, but perhaps we could go the assistante maternelle route. We could only afford this if I were entitled to be subsidised by the "paje". Does anyone know how long you have to be paying into the system before benefiting from this? I can't seem to find this out from the CAF website- they don't stipulate a number of months/years, but all the earnings brackets refer to 2010 income and of course my tax declaration for that year was done in Italy.

We would also like to have baby number two at some point, but again I'm not sure how long I'd need to be paying into the system before being entitled to maternity pay. I would be self-employed, as I am here. In case you are wondering, no I am not moving to France for the benefits- I'd get better maternity benefits by staying here!

I have lived in France before, for a total of six years, in Aubagne, Lille and Paris but never with a family in tow so I'd be grateful for any advice you could offer me.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving from Italy- questions about school/childcare etc.

Oops looks like I posted this in the wrong place- will post again in the main section!