Reload this Page >

Moving to Grenoble

Moving to Grenoble

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:36 am
Just Joined

LouisaE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Grenoble

Hi there,

My partner and I may be moving to Grenoble this year. Is anyone on this forum living there and can they give an opinion on how this city ranks in quality of life, housing, etc. I speak French fluently having lived 5 years in Belgium. I'm bringing with me a baby of 6 months, wondering if there is any mother-baby groups etc?

What's the overall size of the English speaking community?

Also, we're looking for a house with a good-sized garden in a decent area of the city. Employment is in the south. Any advice on a good place to live?

Louisa
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

yas92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Grenoble

Glad to see that you're moving to Grenoble ! There is a large english-speaking community as many US companies have plants in the area, a great campus with 50,000 students and mountains all around you. You will love it ! Hope you like skiing, the Riviera in 3 hours away by car. Where will your job be based exactly ? Will you be working for HP ? I was born in this town and lived there for 22 years so don't hesitate to ask me all the questions you have.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

LouisaE is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see that you're moving to Grenoble ! There is a large english-speaking community as many US companies have plants in the area, a great campus with 50,000 students and mountains all around you. You will love it ! Hope you like skiing, the Riviera in 3 hours away by car. Where will your job be based exactly ? Will you be working for HP ? I was born in this town and lived there for 22 years so don't hesitate to ask me all the questions you have.

Hi there,

Thanks for answering. I don't have a job yet, but my husband may be going to Becton Dickinson. It's not definite yet. We're both engineers though. Is HP a big employer there, as I'm also going to be looking for work? I do speak and write French to a fluent level. Do you still work/live there? May I ask why you are on an expat forum, if born there (ie French)? Just curious.

Louisa
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

yas92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Louisa,

The facts that you're an engineer and that you speak the language will definitely help to find a job, HP is a big employer among many others in this area.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygone_scientifique

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenobl...e_scientifique

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenoble

http://www.grenoble.cci.fr/

Most of the companies your're interested in are in the surrounding area and you might need to google that a bit more as they are not really listed in the links above, I don't have time to do it right now but will be happy to do it for you over the weekend if needed.

I now live in Paris but my family is still in Grenoble, I visit them from time to time. I was an expat for a while (lived in the US and the UK), I know what it is to move in a foreign country so I try to help a bit if I can.

I don't know much about the English speaking community now, but before I moved there were quiet a few Brits and Americans, I was told there were more now but couldn't give you figures I'am afraid.

Keep me updated as you probably have more questions.

Yas92