Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to France For Work

Moving to France For Work

Old Jan 14th 2022, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Jomap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to France For Work

Well said. And it is nice to be able to have some human interaction. There are pages and pages of advice on the internet. Sometimes it can feel overwhelming and hard to process so it feels easier to talk to people and seek help and advice, no matter how stupid the questions might sound or how uninteresting they may be to some people. If they annoy you, then simple, don't read the posts. I, for one, am glad I posted because it really has helped a lot so thanks for all the positive contributions.
Old Jan 14th 2022, 10:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jomap
Well said. And it is nice to be able to have some human interaction. There are pages and pages of advice on the internet. Sometimes it can feel overwhelming and hard to process so it feels easier to talk to people and seek help and advice, no matter how stupid the questions might sound or how uninteresting they may be to some people. If they annoy you, then simple, don't read the posts. I, for one, am glad I posted because it really has helped a lot so thanks for all the positive contributions.
So glad that you have gained help with everything. Reading the experiences of others always helps to identify things that were probably not thought of and also to discover that what worries us the most is not really a difficulty or if it is solutions are given. If you left it all to your employer and something unexpected happened you would feel totally lost and alone with the problem whereas you have reached out now before the event so already know who to ask for advice. Sensible and foreward thinking.

Rosemary
Old Jan 15th 2022, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fringlish
Topics like this annoy me.
  1. If the employer wants the employee to come to France he should sort it out
  2. We should not be asked to advise on something that most of us know nothing about.
  3. if the OP feels that he should become involved in trying to find a solution, he should search government websites for information before asking on a public forum.
Sorry if I sound unhelpful. I'll always help a blind person to cross the road, then ask them if they wanted to afterwards!
You do indeed sound unhelpful. However, of course you're free to feel annoyed at any threads, but is the stress that annoyance often causes really worth it?
i) I agee. However some people are nervous or have quite a fear in engaging with their employer face-to-face, or sense that the HR department - assuming there is one, are not too competent (often the case in my experience), and in this scenario an employee may well feel far more comfortable looking to an on-line forum.
ii) Imho one of the added interests of these forums is reading advise that has been given on something I knew nothing about.
iii) However remote a query may be there is usually someone who can come up with invaluable advise. Advise that may be difficult or even impossible by simply Googling.
The truth is that on-line advise can often be more informative than some government sites which are frequently ambiguous and misleading. For the many years I've been on all forums here - not just the French one, and the many thousands of requests and comments I've read, with the exception of the occasional scammer I cannot recall really being annoyed. Even with your post.
Old Jan 15th 2022, 9:58 am
Just Joined

fringlish is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Moving to France For Work

Originally Posted by Jomap
There are pages and pages of advice on the internet.
It makes me wonder why you asked for more info without commenting on what you had already found, especially as your situation is as yet hypothetical (you use the word "If" in your opening post, and "Theoretically" in your next post.
From what ET has said after thorough research, I think it is highly unlikely that your employer's project will get off the ground unless he employs EU staff. He should have found that out before ever discussing it with you. I may be wrong, of course. There's a first time for everything (Edit - there should have been a smiley here, but it didn't appear).
Originally Posted by Rosemary
Reading the experiences of others always helps to identify things that were probably not thought of
Quite right, Rosemary. And hello. Of course, no-one has mentioned any experience similar to that of Jomap.
I think there has been some implied criticism of me along the way. In my defence, I say it as it is. It takes character to tell the truth when a lie would be less painful! Dale Carnegie never said that.

Last edited by fringlish; Jan 15th 2022 at 10:00 am. Reason: Read text
Old Jan 15th 2022, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I will just add that of the hapless Brits who became clients because they were under investigation or being prosecuted and they needed correspondence translated, a large proportion had never intended to breach regulations. Many had tried to find out how things were supposed to work, though sometimes they had clearly been a bit half-hearted about it, then they'd gone ahead on the basis of their own version of the rules, thinking they would be OK. But often they'd misunderstood or overlooked important details and they hadn't realised how strictly the rules are enforced in France.

So having seen so many employers who got it wrong, I would never say to an employee Oh just leave it all up to your employer to sort out.. If the employee has a basic understanding of the process, he has a chance of spotting if his employer is missing steps out.
Old Jan 15th 2022, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

fringlish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I will just add that of the hapless Brits who became clients . . . a large proportion had never intended to breach regulations. . . Many had tried ....So having seen so many employers who got it wrong,
You must be a magnet for hapless Brits, with so many clients who have fallen foul of the law.

I'm pleased to say that I have not come across any hapless Brits in the nearly 20 years I have lived in France. I've come across a few criminals though, but I steer clear of them.
Old Jan 15th 2022, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fringlish
You must be a magnet for hapless Brits, with so many clients who have fallen foul of the law.
Well if they hadn't fallen foul of the law they wouldn't have needed their legal correspondence translating, and if they hadn't needed their legal correspondence translating they wouldn't have become my clients would they Being a magnet for clients who pay a decent rate is no bad thing.
Outside the professional context I never came across any other hapless Brits, and as far as I'm aware I never came across any criminals at all.