Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to France on maternity leave

Moving to France on maternity leave

Old Mar 10th 2018, 9:03 am
Just Joined

eatjp13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to France on maternity leave

Hi everyone, I am an uk permanent resident (still holding a non-uk passport) currently still married to my French husband of 10 years - we got married in France. Unfortunately for me, after many years of trying ivf for a baby - after we finally successfully got pregnant, my husband decided that he doesn’t really ever wanted to be a father and that he has fallen deeply in love with a work colleague. So he remained with me until the baby is born but has now left our marital home. My in laws are in total support for me (it is their own grandchild) and I have decided that for my child’s sake, I would like to move to Paris since I believe the education system is better than the uk and that’s why I wish to retire one day. I am trying to see if my company is willing to relocate/hire me in Paris. My maternity leave ends in dec 2018 and prior to that, I was at a senior management level in the financial crime compliance field of a global bank. I plan to move ASAP to Paris and first live with my in laws to settle first - and take up intensive French lessons (I had in the past but I am not fluent because I have not been diligent in the past) during the next few months. My husband is willing to help me get a French passport before an official divorce. I would appreciate any advice or caution that anyone would be able to give me on this new life plan of mine. Just in case my company cannot do anything for me, please could someone share with me recruitment agencies that help with English speaking jobs in Paris. Also to help me learn French quicker, I was thinking of working locally near where my in laws live - eg in a boulangerie, carrefour etc... is this possible? Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 6:34 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to France on maternity leave

Originally Posted by eatjp13
Hi everyone, I am an uk permanent resident (still holding a non-uk passport) currently still married to my French husband of 10 years - we got married in France. Unfortunately for me, after many years of trying ivf for a baby - after we finally successfully got pregnant, my husband decided that he doesn’t really ever wanted to be a father and that he has fallen deeply in love with a work colleague. So he remained with me until the baby is born but has now left our marital home. My in laws are in total support for me (it is their own grandchild) and I have decided that for my child’s sake, I would like to move to Paris since I believe the education system is better than the uk and that’s why I wish to retire one day. I am trying to see if my company is willing to relocate/hire me in Paris. My maternity leave ends in dec 2018 and prior to that, I was at a senior management level in the financial crime compliance field of a global bank. I plan to move ASAP to Paris and first live with my in laws to settle first - and take up intensive French lessons (I had in the past but I am not fluent because I have not been diligent in the past) during the next few months. My husband is willing to help me get a French passport before an official divorce. I would appreciate any advice or caution that anyone would be able to give me on this new life plan of mine. Just in case my company cannot do anything for me, please could someone share with me recruitment agencies that help with English speaking jobs in Paris. Also to help me learn French quicker, I was thinking of working locally near where my in laws live - eg in a boulangerie, carrefour etc... is this possible? Thank you in advance.
Dont do it, once you move here you will need his permission to leave the country with the child which could complicate things if it doesn't work out for you not to mention you would then need to traverse the French legal system to divorce as it stands you are a UK resident and qualify to use the UK courts for divorce and they tend to favour people in your situation. SO Stay put in the UK you would be jumping out of the antelope pen into the lion enclosure and the lions don't bother with frying pans.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Mar 13th 2018 at 6:38 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Chatter Static for your reply. I appreciate your direct honest opinion. I have so much to think about at this time that I am not thinking straight.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 8:59 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Chatter Static for your reply. I appreciate your direct honest opinion. I have so much to think about at this time that I am not thinking straight.
Inlaw's and Ex's can appear amicable on the surface but as I said by relocating to France prior to divorce you are stacking the deck in their favour.

Question... Is your right to stay in the EU involved in this? Are you a EU passport holder?
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Get the french passport with the help of your husband.
I assume that your current passport is non-EU.
I also assume that your child is a UK citizen.
Then take your time with other important decisions.
HTH
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:49 am
Just Joined

I have settlement residency for the UK on my non-eu passport. I have decided to go for British passport this year. So will get this before the French one.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks Cyrian for your reply. My son has both uk and French passports so getting an eu passport would be useful for me esp with brexit and who knows what the future holds...
Old Mar 14th 2018, 9:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, to clarify, your husband is living in the UK?
A few points spring to mind:
You wouldn't find a place in a Paris crêche, normally future mothers reserve the minute their pregnancy is confirmed. Are you 100% confident that your present inlaws will commit themselves to babysitting while you're studying French/working, until your son can start Maternelle?
You'd have to check your status with regard to healthcare insurance in France, if you're on UK maternity leave until December.
As said, get yourself a UK and/or French Passport, and brush up your French, before making other decisions.
Paris is fine for visiting, but the last place I'd choose to live and work with a baby to bring up, even with inlaws around to help.