Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving To France - LOTS of Questions

Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To France - LOTS of Questions

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
A general point that I've made several times on this forum so apologies for repeating myself .... but, it can be a bit dangerous for Brits to say 'I'm moving to France and I will do x y and z' without first checking the French rules on x y and z. ...
I suspect that a lot of such posts, and similar ones in the Spain forum, are often founded in people seeking to get "out of the frying pan" - more motivated to get away from one thing than truly attracted to another.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that a lot of such posts, and similar ones in the Spain forum, are often founded in people seeking to get "out of the frying pan" - more motivated to get away from one thing than truly attracted to another.
I think you're right.
But whatever your motivation for moving, if you don't do the research first you are in danger of getting your fingers burned a lot worse than if you come prepared with your asbestos gloves
Old Sep 26th 2020, 12:03 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're right.
But whatever your motivation for moving, if you don't do the research first you are in danger of getting your fingers burned a lot worse than if you come prepared with your asbestos gloves
The OP hasn't posted for some time - I hope she hasn't been too shocked by the eye-opening info which we've all shared, in her and her children's interests, but best that they know now what to expect and prepare for it, rather than remain in ignorance and be faced with all the issues upon arrival here.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm a born worrier but I just can't help worrying when people seem more concerned about where to buy paint and kitchen appliances, than about Brexit-proofing their plans, meeting the residency requirements and suchlike. Of course the OP may not be affected by Brexit but the mention of 31 Dec suggested that they will be, so it would be nice if they would either confirm otherwise, or assure us that they've got all the legal stuff nailed, so that worriers like me can can stop worrying on their behalf but as you say, they seem to have left the room.
Inevitably there will be people who will find that they've lost a benefit that they never anticipated losing, or who had built their plans around being able to stay in France but their applications are turned down, and even though I don't know them and it's none of my business, probably the Connexion and The Local and the British mainstream media will keep running those stories, and it will be so heartbreakingly sad to read about it. And in many cases, avoidable.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Sep 26th 2020 at 1:12 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP had asked this six months ago before buying I think that we would have advised against it However it would appear that the die is cast so perhaps all we can do is to help steer them in the right direction
Old Sep 26th 2020, 2:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm a born worrier but I just can't help worrying when people seem more concerned about where to buy paint and kitchen appliances, than about Brexit-proofing their plans, meeting the residency requirements and suchlike. Of course the OP may not be affected by Brexit but the mention of 31 Dec suggested that they will be, so it would be nice if they would either confirm otherwise, or assure us that they've got all the legal stuff nailed, so that worriers like me can can stop worrying on their behalf but as you say, they seem to have left the room.
Inevitably there will be people who will find that they've lost a benefit that they never anticipated losing, or who had built their plans around being able to stay in France but their applications are turned down, and even though I don't know them and it's none of my business, probably the Connexion and The Local and the British mainstream media will keep running those stories, and it will be so heartbreakingly sad to read about it. And in many cases, avoidable.
I'm worried about them, too. Which is odd, as we don't know them. Hopefully their plan to live off the income from their future gîtes will be successful.
Anyway, as LVC has said, the die seems to have been cast, and hopefully all our pointers will have been useful to the OP before they arrive.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

This weekend I had an offer accepted on a property; the agent was great and is very optimistic we can have it all done and dusted by mid-December, ready to go there for Christmas. The deadline for me isn't quite so critical as I've been in France for a good number of years now, but if it's possible to buy now and have something sorted before the 31st December, then the OP stands a good chance of meeting that deadline too.

Please do make the administrative side your main priority. When I first came to France I was very eager to continue my self-employment immediately, but soon found even though I got registered quickly enough, it took me just over 2 months to get a business bank account up and running (the bank's fault); which in turn meant I didn't work for the first two months. Do get bank accounts sorted immediately, and try to obtain a utility bill with your names on it, this way you'll have more security and less stress after the deadline if it all goes pear shaped, which seems very likely.
Good luck and I really hope it pans out for you all.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elvina63
Hi All

Thanks for letting me join you. We have done it, we have had an offer accepted on our new home in France and will be moving before the 31st December from the UK. I have so many questions and dont know where to start! I think a good place is - what are the most important things that we need to do to start with please?

Thinking ahead to moving in we are going to be doing work to our new home and want advice on best places for buying things like paint, furniture and white goods please?

Any suggestions on clothing stores please?

I am sure that this is a long shot but are there any English people living in and around Saint Gaudens in the Haute Garonne?

Thank you

Elvina
Elvina, if you are still reading these posts.........
Many here have given you invaluable advise. I have little more to offer.
Could you (when convenient) please feed back your experiences, which will certainly be invaluable for many others in your position or similar planning to move to France. There are many hurdles, some that are easily overcome, and others that are unforseen, and your participation in the future could be an eye-opener for many, especally in these fraught times of Brexit and Covid.
Hoping you will become a regular participant of this forum. Why not with a regular blog?
Good luck, and please keep us updated.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

In respect of utility bills I had one in my name one in my wifes it made life that little bit easier
Old Sep 28th 2020, 10:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
In respect of utility bills I had one in my name one in my wifes it made life that little bit easier
Even easier if utility bills, like bank accounts, are in both names....
Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:20 am
Just Joined

elvina63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions Please

Hi

I have a few questions please and hope someone can help.

Are there any online stores like Screwfix or B&Q, Plumbworld etc in France please? We are planning on doing a lot of renovation work ourselves so need the best places to buy what we will need.

We have now paid the deposit on our new French home and are in the 10 day cooling off period. The Notaire dealing with our purchase seems to be a bit late letting us know about the process and wanted to know if anyone can please shed light on the process from this stage on. Also we cant get to France for the final signing so what is the process please with us still in the UK?

How did you all translate the French documents into English, if you didnt speak great French?

For those of you who have changed barns etc to gites. Did you find much trouble getting permission?

Many thanks

Elvina
Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions Please

Hi Elvina,

You have the equivalent such as Mr Bricolage, Bricomarché , Leroy Merlin, Castorama etc. which you can find all over France. I suspect for many things the prices are not nearly as competitive as to what you're used to.

I can understand you wanting to get to work on renovation, but please do make your priority getting documents together for withdrawal agreement residency permit - things like temporary private healthcare until you've set up business, utility bills etc (see the RIFT - Remain in France Together website for more details). Get yourself a French bank account if you haven't already, and insurance for your vehicles, and ensure your P85's have been sent to HMRC. If you don't get that all sorted before the 31st December, life could be more stressful.

So at the moment you have signed the compromis de vente and sent a deposit to the notaire? I think you will be cutting it very close, especially with these latest lock down measures. Has the notaire been able to give you any assurances that the sale will be completed before Dec 31st? You can opt to have the notaire sign by proxy on your behalf if you're not there in person, but you will need to be here in France before the end of this year with all the necessary documents to prove residency to secure your rights after BREXIT - you will then have until June 2021 to submit this information.

Last edited by G-J-B; Oct 30th 2020 at 9:40 am.
Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Elvina63 - I believe you posted before, back in September. There were lots of helpful replies, but then we seemed to lose you, so I'm not sure you got to read them?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 10:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Hi Elvina,

You have the equivalent such as Mr Bricolage, Bricomarché , Leroy Merlin, Castorama etc. which you can find all over France. I suspect for many things the prices are not nearly as competitive as to what you're used to.

I can understand you wanting to get to work on renovation, but please do make your priority getting documents together for withdrawal agreement residency permit - things like temporary private healthcare until you've set up business, utility bills etc (see the RIFT - Remain in France Together website for more details). Get yourself a French bank account if you haven't already, and insurance for your vehicles, and ensure your P85's have been sent to HMRC. If you don't get that all sorted before the 31st December, life could be more stressful.

So at the moment you have signed the compromis de vente and sent a deposit to the notaire? I think you will be cutting it very close, especially with these latest lock down measures. Has the notaire been able to give you any assurances that the sale will be completed before Dec 31st? You can opt to have the notaire sign by proxy on your behalf if you're not there in person, but you will need to be here in France before the end of this year with all the necessary documents to prove residency to secure your rights after BREXIT - you will then have until June 2021 to submit this information.
If the Compromis de Vente has only just been signed, the Acte de Propriété isn't likely to be ready for signature before 31st December 2020, unless the Notaire has means for fast-tracking the procedure (not helped by the Covid Situation). Even if it is possible, the OP and family need to prove "residence" before that date, with Utility bills and private healthcare insurance already set up... I believe all this was discussed in the other thread?
@Elvina - Before worrying about where to obtain DIY materials for the renovation, have you obtained the Permis from the Mairie? (and will the Compromis de Vente be sufficient for the application? The property still belongs to the Vendor). Have you sorted out all the other issues brought up in your other thread, concerning your children? Have you been following the recent home-schooling issue in France, for example? The Govt. plans to enforce stricter regulations (which are already daunting for foreigners....).
You say you're in the 10 day cooling-off period. Use it to ensure that all the issues have been settled, starting with being 100% sure (written "official" assurance, not an architect's opinion) that you'll get the Permis from the Mairie. If you aren't 100% sure of being able to convert the property, then is it worth continuing with the purchase?
HTH
Old Oct 30th 2020, 11:16 am
Just Joined

elvina63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Thanks for the replies. I did read all the replies in my previous post, they were very helpful, but had some new questions, hence this post. We have been assured by the Notaire that we will be able to sign the Act before the end of this year. Thanks Elvina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.