Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

moving to france help needed badly

Wikiposts

moving to france help needed badly

Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to france help needed badly

Originally Posted by sheps
Thanks Ka Ora,

Hardest part is telling grandparents and other family members.

....but the world seems smaller than it did and it's not as though it's Australia or anything.
ah we too had that problem. I am pleased that we are not the only ones. Things havent improved any i we have or will be letting them down...as we are told every time we speak.

But as you say its a small world today.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

We have found it better in that friends and family come and stay with us or nearby and we get to spend that old cliche "quality time" together, it is like we are all on holiday. We only have fathers, my father-in-law has been several times, sadly my fathers OH won't allow him to visit,:curse: she fears he may not go home (she might have a point)
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
We have found it better in that friends and family come and stay with us or nearby and we get to spend that old cliche "quality time" together, it is like we are all on holiday. We only have fathers, my father-in-law has been several times, sadly my fathers OH won't allow him to visit,:curse: she fears he may not go home (she might have a point)

i know i wouldnt

we have tried saying this, but my mother is 'NOT INTERESTED'. To her, its a question of duty. sadly we have done our time, and hopefully she might see the light. But to be honest its a matter of doing what is right at the time and not just for one person.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

sheps is on a distinguished road

Yeah - we're expecting it to be a pretty emotional few months - but life's an emotional journey anyway and in the end we're convinced that the kids will benefit greatly.

Bi-lingualism is one of the best things we can give them I think.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
and welcome. Sounds as if you have interesting times ahead of you. As the others have said though, it will be well worth it.
Where about in Normandy are you looking? There are quite a few of us there, so let us know if we can help.

Hi

Can't really add anything in the way of advice except to say we're in the same position as you!

We've been hit bythe credit crunch (Hello Northern Rock!) and a mortgage that's set to increase from 4.9% to almost 8% is the final push we needed.

We could remortgage but feel like fate is giving us a nudge.

So myself, my wife and two kids - 2and a half and 14 months are going to sell up- take what small amount of equity we have and are set to rent in normandy as soon as the house sells - it'll be on the market in 2 weeks.

I'm lucky in that I'm a website developer and deal mostly with the US so can work anywhere in the world with an internet connection. We'll buy (hopefully with a french mortgage) after a year of renting and making sure it's for us.

Have a UK limited company (even though there's just me) sp the tax position is taking some understanding - company will still be UK based.

Have family nr Aveyron and Mervernt so we're lucky to have some support.

Going to have to be a renovation project, but the timing couldn't be better with the ages of our children not having started school yet.

Loads of research to do - bit daunting so really happy to have found this forum - has helped with al lot already even though I've just been 'lurking' for the past few weeks.

Goodluck with your move!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah - we're expecting it to be a pretty emotional few months - but life's an emotional journey anyway and in the end we're convinced that the kids will benefit greatly.

Bi-lingualism is one of the best things we can give them I think.
For sure. We are lucky, (wife French, with English dad) all o/h's family live in France. She speaks both languages and transfers between the two. This has been great for our son, who himself talks freely in either language. I benefit also, although sometimes thing move a little fast for me. Our son has been lucky as he can go to stop with family in France. In no time, even though he speaks, his skills improve again. Its so great to see.

Its emotional, but i know you will feel it has been worth it. Good luck with dealing with life this end, before you go.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:22 am
Just Joined

I've always believed that you live for your kids not your parents but it's easier said than done especially when they're close to their grandcgildren but hopefully they'll realise why we're doing it.

Val - thanks for the offer of help - we're still researching Normandy and that's why we're renting for a year - to make sure of the area we like.

We're pretty dictated by budget in terms of where to live - our income isn't bad at all (do you lot talk figures on here or is it considered vulgar?) but we made a bad decision with our last place and have lost a lot of equity, so we're looking at having maybe a 25% deposit on a 120,000 euro property.

The renovation we can pay for out of salary hopefully without too much worry.

We'll also be saving up while we rent (it'll be alot less than our current UK mortgage) but fact remains that 120,000 euros looks like the limit (we'll have the 10% or so fees in cash)

Been looking at Orne, manche. Children and school take priority of course.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=sheps;6108782]I've always believed that you live for your kids not your parents but it's easier said than done especially when they're close to their grandcgildren but hopefully they'll realise why we're doing it.

We're pretty dictated by budget in terms of where to live - our income isn't bad at all (do you lot talk figures on here or is it considered vulgar?)

QUOTE]

You are right, it is all about the children, and yourself of course.

As for money, you nevr need more than enough
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Val - thanks for the offer of help - we're still researching Normandy and that's why we're renting for a year - to make sure of the area we like.

We're pretty dictated by budget in terms of where to live - our income isn't bad at all (do you lot talk figures on here or is it considered vulgar?) but we made a bad decision with our last place and have lost a lot of equity, so we're looking at having maybe a 25% deposit on a 120,000 euro property.

We'll also be saving up while we rent (it'll be alot less than our current UK mortgage) but fact remains that 120,000 euros looks like the limit (we'll have the 10% or so fees in cash)

Hi sheps,

we recently bought a place in normandy (technically Calvados, but on the border of Manche) We found that there were lots of places in your price range, especially if you are OK with renos.

Best of luck.

Novo
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Been looking at Orne, manche. Children and school take priority of course.[/QUOTE]

We are just down the road from Novocastrian but in Manche. Our children are older than yours but when to school at St Lo, which I would really recommend. They also went to school in Carentan, and I know there are a few expats with children there at the moment, so the schools are used to helping youngsters who's first language is not French.
The new Mairie in Carentan is a friend of ours (impressed or what)
Seriously, he is so keen to promote English in the region it gets embarrasing. Last weekend he sent me a copy of a menu from a local restaurant to translate into English - he has also said all local restaurants should have at least one employee who speaks English to help visitors.
House prices have gone up here over the last few years but there are still some good buys around, especially if you look just outside the main towns, and I can recommend an estate agent here who also do rentals. Local Notaires are also good and have rental properties. You can get details from their website
http://www.cr-bassenormandie.notaire...ext=en&file=64
The other good thing is it's fairly easy access back to UK if you need to visit, with ferries from Cherbourg, Caen and Le Havre. There is also a flight from Caen or Le Havre to Shoreham, details here
http://www.skysouth.co.uk/Timetable.aspx
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:15 am
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snoopycat
Good luck andyandcass...hope you find what you're looking for.

All systems go for us on March 15th too, we're moving to Béziers the same day!

Did all go well?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by val50
We are just down the road from Novocastrian but in Manche. Our children are older than yours but when to school at St Lo, which I would really recommend. They also went to school in Carentan, and I know there are a few expats with children there at the moment, so the schools are used to helping youngsters who's first language is not French.
The new Mairie in Carentan is a friend of ours (impressed or what)
Seriously, he is so keen to promote English in the region it gets embarrasing. Last weekend he sent me a copy of a menu from a local restaurant to translate into English - he has also said all local restaurants should have at least one employee who speaks English to help visitors.
House prices have gone up here over the last few years but there are still some good buys around, especially if you look just outside the main towns, and I can recommend an estate agent here who also do rentals. Local Notaires are also good and have rental properties. You can get details from their website
http://www.cr-bassenormandie.notaire...ext=en&file=64
The other good thing is it's fairly easy access back to UK if you need to visit, with ferries from Cherbourg, Caen and Le Havre. There is also a flight from Caen or Le Havre to Shoreham, details here
http://www.skysouth.co.uk/Timetable.aspx[/QUOTE]

That's a great help- thanks!

We bit the bullet yesterday and told family about our plans. Went better than expected but still some tears.

Putting house on market next week so we could still be here in 4 years

We're in a bit of a tourist spot so hopefully things should move relatively quickly - especially if we come down on price a bit.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We bit the bullet yesterday and told family about our plans. Went better than expected but still some tears.

We're in a bit of a tourist spot so hopefully things should move relatively quickly - especially if we come down on price a bit.
Bon chance sheps.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

We're in a bit of a tourist spot so hopefully things should move relatively quickly - especially if we come down on price a bit.[/QUOTE]

You should have told them you were going to Oz -
then told them you'd thought again and settled on France
Good luck with the house sale and the move
Old May 16th 2008, 11:59 pm
Andy and the boss

andyandcass will become famous soon enoughandyandcass will become famous soon enough

Well after all the fantastic support help and replies we have had over the last few weeks i thought it only right to post an update, we put an offer in on a house in south indre at the end of April and paid our deposit, we were told the completion date was the end of July so we have been sat around frustrated and itching to get going and wishing the time would go faster and faster , well we have just been told that the searches are complete already 2 months early and we can go and sign up so this is brilliant news for us and we will be starting our little project 2 months earlier than we thought.

Im now going into the shed all excited to polish my tools.
That sounds a bit dodgy actually i will rephrase that

Im now going into the shed to charge my drill`s up and prepare my tools for the work ahead, that sounds better.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped us turn this pie in the sky idea into reality finally.
No doubt we will be posting for more advice and help on here soon.
Thanks again for all your help
A very excited Andy and Cassie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.