Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

moving to france help needed badly

Wikiposts

moving to france help needed badly

Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:48 am
Andy and the boss

andyandcass will become famous soon enoughandyandcass will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to france help needed badly

Hello all.
firstly we are new to this forum and welcome any positive info anyone has regarding help,basically like so many others we are sick of the life we have in england we are 2 adults with 1 10 year old daughter im currently working as a hgv driver from 4am in the morning until 3.30pm 6 days per week with my partner also working 40+ hours per week, with no real quality of life i have a while to go before i retire as im 43 years old so i will need a small income after i have the property habitable.
we had an idea over 2 years ago to buy a renovation project in france as i am a time served plasterer and really love any type of diy, then the plan was to sell our home in the uk live in a caravan at the back of the property and move over and become as self sufficient as possible,ie grow our own veg, couple of chickens maybe a pig or two install an aga for heating and cooking etc,
we are trying to do this on a very small budget and without coming over as being very naive and stupid we need as much help and advice as possible regarding areas to buy in as we have found renovation properties in brittany normandy and the loire valley that all match the budget and are as rural as we want but there may be other areas we have overlooked,we also realise that our daughter will need a school to go too,also i have this niggling worry that if we do run out of money after a year or so how difficult is it to find any work even driving to the uk and back on a temporary basis monthly for a company or an agency to bring funds in.
I don`t want us to move out of the uk and crawl back in a year or so with our tails between our legs and have the usual we told you so story thrown at us,
but i also don`t want to think in 5 years time that we should have just gone for it and regret that we didn`t at least try to do it.
We have read website after website and tried to take as much in as possible before posting on here, and we are set to take a trip out again in march to start looking
So basically we need help or advice on.
1 likely area`s to move to
2 daily living costs
3 council tax if it exists in france??
4 finding a reputable agent that`s trustworthy
5 pitfalls and probelms renovating a property on our own
I know this post is rather vague and we need help or advice in a lot of areas but any info positive or not would be greatly appreciated
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:27 am
Just Joined

stinkyinca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to france help needed badly

Hi and welcome - there are some fantastic people on this site who will be able to help more than I as I am still a newbie on the searching front. I can tell you that there is a form of Council tax - The Taxe d'Habitation (property occupier levy and TV license - calculated on floor area, number of windows and location-can be reduced if low income) and Taxe Foncieres (land and property tax but not liable if renting or some new or newly restored properties are exempt from paying the Taxe Foncieres for the first two years.)
The figures are often mentioned on the property details or ask the agent but usually alot less than what you'd pay here.

Electrics and plumbing are different and you will need to use registered tradesmen for guarantees. Also think about who your resale market will be (different nationalities have different tastes and location choices). There are some good books on the subject and I know there are people on here who have done this.

I personally feel the standard of living is better in France and far more laid back. I would pick the local school for your daughter - it will be tough for a few months due to the language but she will pick it up and make local friends. (there are other threads on this subject)

It will help if you can speak the language to integrate (again lots of threads on this!)

But don't be put off by maybe having to return, as many do, especially if they have strong family ties but that could be 5/10/15 years so will it really matter? even if on a temporary basis to earn some money? At least you want to make a change for the better and that's more than the 'told you so's' will do.
Your family will spend far more time with you than they currently do and I know my kids would rather my time than the latest gadget.
Jump off that treadmill of surviving and live a little and give it a go.

Wendy
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:48 am
Just Joined

stinkyinca is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh there was a diary site about a couple who bought a house in Limousin (one of the cheapest areas) with land in order to be self sufficient. They also had a wood for future fuel but have had to go back on a temporary basis to earn some money. http://www.breezybreak.com/Life_in_France.htm
There are alot of agencies for temp work and HGV work shouldn't be a problem, especially if you do this outside of the summer months as then cheaper to get to the UK. Loads of info. on budget flights, ferries, trains etc. on-line.
Good luck on the research
Wendy
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Robsie is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Moving to france help needed badly

Hello there

Welcome to the forum. I have only just recently joined myself.

I completely understand how you are feeling. For years my husband and I have been thinking of moving to france but have worried whether or not it is the right thing to do, the grass is always greener etc etc. I came to the conclusion a few weeks ago that (1) We're misserable here anyway, both working long hours for little return, jugggling childcare etc etc the list is endless (2) We'd rather try and return in a years time than not try at all. At least, if anything, we would get it out of our system.

What we've decided to do (within the last month) is rent out our house and rent a place in france. Initially, we thought we would travel around for x amount of months until we found a place we wanted to settle but whilst googling and a few emails later we have found a place. Initially we decided not to go for it because they were looking for 12 months rental and I didn't think this was wise but after a sleepless night thinking about it all I thought well, at least we can get our little boy settled in school, give it a real go so to speak, and once we started corresponding with the owner (who I have to say has been so helpful) it does seem possible that my husband (builder) will find work.

With regard to finances, do what you have to do. Remortgage to a sensible amount if needbe, to get the funds required. Hopefully, work in France will cover the bills (being a plaster you wont have to relay on your language skills) and the amount borrowed will stay in your bank account. You then get someone in to rent (pay the mortgate whilst you are away) and then this gives you time to decide whether you are happy in France and then sell your house back in Britain.

If you don't have a house to remortgate, sell or rent out, then you will need to find some work before you go I should think. What I would do is do some research into where there are a lot of Brits settling (eg Dordogne, Brittany), maybe pop out to france and speak to some locals and try and get a feel for it if need be.

We are going with the thought that it is for good but nevertheless, I can't help but to be sensible about it all and have a back up plan.

I can't comment on taking on a renovation project but this is something we hope to do in about a years time - hopefully!

The language thing was also of concern to as as our skills are very very basic but I have found during holidays in France that as long as you try to make the effort the French are very accomodating. Also, unless you get to grips with it in some shape or form, you'll starve and you want let that happen.

After years of thinking whether or not to go for it, I've decided 'what have we got to loose'. So what if we come back at least we had a go.

For us, it is not about making a lot of money but have a decent lifestyle without all the current worries. Coming home for work/school and being able to enjoy tea outside in the garden and having some sort of life. All very simple things really.

On to costs, I've found out recently, that 'habitation tax 'equivalent to council tax' (including tv license), refuse collection and water is about £500 a year, plus £30 a month for electricity should cover it. There is no road tax (but tolls on some roads). petrol is cheaper too.

I'm certainly no expert and the next year will certainly be a learning curve to say the least but I can definately say that after making the decision to move to France, I feel 100% better already.

Good luck and I wish you and your family well!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

Hi Andyandcass,

You've come to the right place for help and advice.

You're doing lots of research before hand, which is great, so I doubt you'll go home with your tail between your legs!

We have done the same, as I would hate to feel that we'd gone into it too enthusiastically without thinking it through.

Just to say that we are moving to the Languedoc in a few weeks and we bought our house through a local French estate agent. We found one by chance with a little Union Flag on the door indicating "English spoken".

His office manager/secretary spoke good English and they have helped us through it all, and been very fair.....sorted out gas and elec. for us also house insurance etc. My point is that even if you only speak a little French you can go with a local agent. Also our house was up for sale just with his agency, not with several which may have helped.

Good luck to you in your search.

Snoopy
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:34 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

My ex and I bought a 200 year old French farmhouse just South of Cahors in 2004. We paid 190,000 euros for it, but it was big, had nearly 5 acres of ground, including 2 acres of woodland, and was within 1 kilometre of a small town. That made it dearer. If you don't mind being slightly more away from civilisation, it is possible to buy cheaper renovation projects and we saw lots.

When we first viewed it, we went around with a pencil and paper and did an initial budget for the work. We phased this work, into essential and immediate, ie making it habitable and secure, then next phase, which was heating, floor finishes, finishing off rooms such as the kitchen and putting baths in (we had showers to start with), and the final phase of decoration and finishing.

If you work out what you need to make the place livable, and target the budget at that and STICK to it, other stuff can be done as and when. If you have kids you will need heating wherever you are in France. It gets pretty nippy, even in the South!

Wendy said about the two taxes in her post above, and additionally we found that if you are actually outside the commune itself, ie for us 1 km from the village, the taxes are cheaper.

We looked at about 30 places before settling on the one we bought, and we did basic budgets for all of them. The house we chose ended up with 6 bedrooms, central heating, we replaced all windows and doors, made shutters, put in a septic tank, replaced the first floor flooring and the 2nd floor, a full re-wire, installed a new kitchen, landscaped the area immediately around the property and put in a family bathroom and shower plus two ensuites. We did all this for £20,000. And in 10 months. Now, bear in mind we did the lot ourselves, save for hiring a bloke with a rock breaker to dig the pit for the septic tank. And we were lucky that my ex was a plumber and electrician, so we saved there. And we paid a bloke about 100 euros to check the central heating installation when it was finished and sign it off.

But you can save money on renovations in so many ways. Your plastering skills will certainly save you money and time. You will be amazed what you can do if you try. And you learn as you go. And, actually, I adored it!

We bought all kitchen units and appliances and just about all building materials from our local Brico Depot (the French equivalent of B&Q). When you are looking at properties, it is well worth finding out where these places are and making sure you are within striking distance of one. We were going twice a week to start with. And if you can, either take a trailer with you or buy one over there. We bought ours for about 500 euros from L'eclerc, a large supermarket chain. It was totally invaluable as Brico depot don't deliver.

Suggest you get a catalogue from the local Brico Depot as soon as you get there, and carry it around with you. When you view properties, you can make notes as you look, and then go off to the local cafe for coffee and write up a rough budget. That's what we did. This helps you avoid the pitfall of falling totally in love with some twee ruin, that will end up costing you twice what you pay for it to actually do it up!

This is a bit condensed - there's a lot more to it than that, but I can tell you it is SO worth it. It was very hard work, and long hours, and sometimes, when it was -4 outside (and -2 inside!) and I was up a ladder with a Kango, or shovelling frozen sand about, if I hadn't been fully comitted, I might have given up. But remember: you sound like you are leaving behind a life of almost drudgery. Even if you earn enough money in the UK to have hols and stuff, one is often too knackered by day-to-day work to enjoy them. And in France, I never once dreamed of holidays - I didn't need them. I was living my dream.

We found we could live a lot more cheaply over there. In large towns you often find Lidl - cheap supermarket, and we bought a very big freezer and bought in bulk when we went shopping once a month, and restricted using the more expensive local shops for milk, bread and day to day stuff. We were lucky to have a wood for logs which saved money initially with the woodburner.

Doing phased budgets for renovation work and targetting available money at the essentials to start with is something I can't emphasise too strongly, as it is easy to get carried away and start buying twee kitchen units before you actually need them. Put a sink in. Put a hot water heater in. Put a cooker in. And live like that until you can do more! It's fun. And make sure you have one room at least that is really livable. Kitchen diner is always a good bet, and a form of heating is essential for kids - woodburners are excellent. We bought ours in England for £150 and took it over with us.

Anyway, good luck, and keep posting questions as they come to you!!

Best wishes looking

Andy
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:50 pm
Andy and the boss

andyandcass will become famous soon enoughandyandcass will become famous soon enough
Default moving to france help needed badly

Re: Moving to france help needed badly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all
Well we didn`t expect as many messages as we have just got so thanks to everone who has replied,i think we needed the comments to help us decide as well,anyway it has done the trick.
I handed my notice in this week and have signed on with an agency for temp work so i can spend more time scourcing info, i feel a bit irresponsible doing it but catch 22 working for long hours and coming home to sleep and not having any energy to sit on the internet scouring websites does not get us moving in the direction we want.
we are visiting the loire valley from the 15th march to see a few properties seriously this time with a view to buying,we also feel more positive now and are going for it !!!!
Cant wait
Regards
Andy and Cass
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:08 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: moving to france help needed badly

That's wonderful news Andy and Cass

Congratulations on your decision and may it be the best one you ever made
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

Good luck andyandcass...hope you find what you're looking for.

All systems go for us on March 15th too, we're moving to Béziers the same day!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

AndyandCass, I've merged your threads .... you dont need to start another one, just continue on the original
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyandcass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all
Well we didn`t expect as many messages as we have just got so thanks to everone who has replied,i think we needed the comments to help us decide as well,anyway it has done the trick.
I handed my notice in this week and have signed on with an agency for temp work so i can spend more time scourcing info, i feel a bit irresponsible doing it but catch 22 working for long hours and coming home to sleep and not having any energy to sit on the internet scouring websites does not get us moving in the direction we want.
we are visiting the loire valley from the 15th march to see a few properties seriously this time with a view to buying,we also feel more positive now and are going for it !!!!
Cant wait
Regards
Andy and Cass
sounds as if things are really moving along now, good luck with your search.
do you have anywhere to stay yet when you visit in March
If not, I can recommend a great place close to Saumur
let me know if you want details
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:59 am
Just Joined

badgealleykate is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck
Old Mar 1st 2008, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all
Cant wait
Regards
Andy and Cass
Hi andyandcass

We are in the lovely Loire Valley, near Montrichard, our nearest cities are Tours and Blois. If you need any info on these areas feel free to ask. We LOVE IT here. You are right to do your homework, it is absolutely essential. We have some friends who have recently moved over, having looked at about 50 properties around Saumur, they came here, looked at 10 or less and took the plunge when they saw the area and the facilities.

I can't tell you how much better our lives are, hope you find the same.

Sue
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:42 am
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

Hello all.
firstly we are new to this forum and welcome any positive info anyone has regarding help,basically like so many others we are sick of the life we have in england we are 2 adults with 1 10 year old daughter im currently working as a hgv driver from 4am in the morning until 3.30pm 6 days per week with my partner also working 40+ hours per week, with no real quality of life i have a while to go before i retire as im 43 years old so i will need a small income after i have the property habitable.
we had an idea over 2 years ago to buy a renovation project in france as i am a time served plasterer and really love any type of diy, then the plan was to sell our home in the uk live in a caravan at the back of the property and move over and become as self sufficient as possible,ie grow our own veg, couple of chickens maybe a pig or two install an aga for heating and cooking etc,
we are trying to do this on a very small budget and without coming over as being very naive and stupid we need as much help and advice as possible regarding areas to buy in as we have found renovation properties in brittany normandy and the loire valley that all match the budget and are as rural as we want but there may be other areas we have overlooked,we also realise that our daughter will need a school to go too,also i have this niggling worry that if we do run out of money after a year or so how difficult is it to find any work even driving to the uk and back on a temporary basis monthly for a company or an agency to bring funds in.
I don`t want us to move out of the uk and crawl back in a year or so with our tails between our legs and have the usual we told you so story thrown at us,
but i also don`t want to think in 5 years time that we should have just gone for it and regret that we didn`t at least try to do it.
We have read website after website and tried to take as much in as possible before posting on here, and we are set to take a trip out again in march to start looking
So basically we need help or advice on.
1 likely area`s to move to
2 daily living costs
3 council tax if it exists in france??
4 finding a reputable agent that`s trustworthy
5 pitfalls and probelms renovating a property on our own
I know this post is rather vague and we need help or advice in a lot of areas but any info positive or not would be greatly appreciated
Take the bull by the horns,and move,you will love it.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

paulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud of

Hi all
Cant wait
Regards
Andy and Cass
Hi andandcass,
Well done on your decision
where abouts in the loire valley are you thinking of? its bigger than people realise, we live in loir et cher and it's stunning here, as is all of the loire valley
but im gonna say that,

Good luck and keep us up to date as we are very nosy on here

PJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.