The Moving to France FAQs

Old Jan 20th 2023, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Del_f is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Moving to France FAQs

Originally Posted by Del_f
yeah sorry about that
Originally Posted by Rosemary
Word of warning, I do not have much time to devote to this so it will be a slow process. So much involved.

Rosemary
no, I expect them done yesterday!!! ... seriously though, not a problem...I can wait, Im not going anywhere yet
Old Jan 21st 2023, 7:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Rosemary, here's a starter for the 'Death in France' FAQ update:
Within 24hrs of the death:
The death must be certified by a doctor who will issue the death certificate. In the event of death in a hospital or nursing home, it’s the staff who organise this.(If the death has taken place in a medical establishment, in certain cases one can request in writing to access the medical file of the deceased).
In the event of a violent death (accident, suicide, etc.), one must immediately notify the gendarmerie or the police. (The emergency telephone number is 17). The number 112 can also be dialled in an emergency.

The Public Service FR site also states that one must report the death to the town hall of the place where the death took place. But in reality this declaration is usually taken care of by the funeral company or social organisation.
Check whether the deceased has indicated any specific last wishes (orally, in a will or in a funeral agreement) concerning their funeral (cremation or burial), or the donation of the body to science, or for an organ transplant. In the latter case the deceased may well be in possession of an official donors card.

If the funeral is to be arranged by a family member or close friend, after contacting several funeral homes, demand written quotations before signing any contract. Ensure exactly what services are covered and the fees.
Most funeral companies (Pompes Funèbres) here, do in fact provide a complete package, which alleviates a measure of additional stress for the family. The Pompes Funèbres adjacent to a hospital or nursing homes are often recommended by the staff, but it may be prudent to obtain quotations elsewhere. Often everything is catered for in their ‘standard package', but it’s wise to check if this includes coordination with a local priest if required for a memorial service, and also putting an advisory notice in the local or national press - which would be an extra service and invoiced as such with the price dependent on length of the obituary, number of days to appear etc. The Pompes Funèbres also arrange for the required services of a stonemason, this too generally being invoiced separately from the ‘standard package’.

NOTE: Work in progress, to be continued..........
+1
Useful info to be incorporated in the Sticky!
In my case, our family doctor came to declare the death, and the Pompes Funèbres declared it at the Mairie, but I don't recall how I acquired the 15 Death Certificates necessary for the official Bodies and various Organisations....
At the time it was too much for me to mention, but two of OH's regular nurses came to prepare him before his "mise en bière" (cf tp's earlier post!) and I realized from their weeping just how much they had liked him....
Another point to add - in France, unless you specifically refuse, preferably in writing, your body will automatically be considered for organ donation, however much the family might protest.
Work still in progress.....
P.S. Forgot to mention that the announcement in a national newspaper (and even the Midi Libre) was horrendously expensive. More time-consuming, but vastly cheaper, to inform distant friends/ex-colleagues, etc.... personally.

Last edited by dmu; Jan 21st 2023 at 8:01 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2023, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Good additional info from DMU.
Regarding the Death Certificates necessary for the official bodies and various organisations, when we were last involved, these were requested by the funeral company directly to the nursing home which is where the death was recorded by the on-site doctor. The funeral company subsequently passed the certificates to us. And yes, one requires quite a number of originals. From memory we were given about a dozen and used most if not all.
Various organisations such as the employer of the deceased, landlord (in the case of a tenant), car insurance company, Mutuelle, CPAM, Notaire, Bank, etc, all ned to be officially informed.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 22nd 2023 at 8:13 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 7:03 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Good additional info from DMU.
Regarding the Death Certificates necessary for the official bodies and various organisations, when we were last involved, these were requested by the funeral company directly to the nursing home which is where the death was recorded by the on-site doctor. The funeral company subsequently passed the certificates to us. And yes, one requires quite a number of originals. From memory we were given about a dozen and used most if not all.
Various organisations such as the employer of the deceased, landlord (in the case of a tenant), car insurance company, Mutuelle, CPAM, Notaire, Bank, etc, all ned to be officially informed.
+ ALL the Caisses de Retraite of a retired deceased (5 in the case of OH), but I realize that many retired expats will only have the British Pensions Office to inform. If they are landlords, they must inform their tenants. And don't forget the Tax Office, EdF and Internet providers, house insurance company, Assurance-Vie, the list is long..... They don't need a Death Certificate, but subscriptions must also be cancelled and the direct debits closed. A reminder that it is highly advisable for a couple to have a joint account, since all accounts held by the deceased are frozen.
Just to confirm that, in the case of death at home, certified by a Doctor, the Funeral people declare the death to the Mairie, which then issues the Certificates. I've never thought about it, but one can die at any age, anywhere, due to a traffic accident, and I've no idea how such a death is declared to your own Mairie within 24 hrs.
Old Jan 24th 2023, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just a suggestion, but might it be easier to do this as a Wiki post? Then that way it can be edited by anybody (or several people together) in the future to save one person having to take on the task.

The Canada forum has tons of very comprehensive Wiki pages on pretty much any subject, so it's always easy to point people in that direction, and we just have sticky threads linking to them in the main forums.

Just an idea anyway………
Old Jan 24th 2023, 9:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just a suggestion, but might it be easier to do this as a Wiki post? Then that way it can be edited by anybody (or several people together) in the future to save one person having to take on the task.

The Canada forum has tons of very comprehensive Wiki pages on pretty much any subject, so it's always easy to point people in that direction, and we just have sticky threads linking to them in the main forums.

Just an idea anyway………
That sounds a great idea. I am not able to spend sufficient time on here to make all of these changes.

Rosemary
Old Jan 24th 2023, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
That sounds a great idea. I am not able to spend sufficient time on here to make all of these changes.

Rosemary
Your call obviously, but it would mean it's not just the responsibility of one person to compile the info then, so would make it much easier now and in the future. It's also a great way to be able to say 'read this page of the Wiki' to newbies without having to type the same thing out over and over again.

I've just looked and the Wiki only has 5 articles for the whole of Europe - versus over 300 for Canada!
Old Jan 24th 2023, 11:22 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Your call obviously, but it would mean it's not just the responsibility of one person to compile the info then, so would make it much easier now and in the future. It's also a great way to be able to say 'read this page of the Wiki' to newbies without having to type the same thing out over and over again.

I've just looked and the Wiki only has 5 articles for the whole of Europe - versus over 300 for Canada!
Over to Eurotrash and dme who have been dealing with the changes because to be honest I am not spending enough time on Be to make the changes in the FAQ thread.

Rosemary
Old Jan 24th 2023, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Just a suggestion, but might it be easier to do this as a Wiki post?
So how does that work in practice, what's involved? For instance could the thread I posted yesterday be simply copy/pasted into a Wiki post? I don't even know how it works - can BE's Wiki pages only be accessed via BE, or can anyone find them?