British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   The Moving to France FAQs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/moving-france-faqs-946803/)

Del_f Jan 18th 2023 1:03 pm

The Moving to France FAQs

Hi I was wading through the FAQs sticky, & realised a lot/most of them are about 7yrs old/pre Brexit. (Like the Opening a bank account.). Is the information there still true/accurate? :)

thx

EuroTrash Jan 18th 2023 7:55 pm

Re: The Moving to France FAQs

No, they need updating.
I seem to remember offering to go through them this summer and then I got a job instead and didn't have time.
Rosemary, do we want to do this? I've got time now.

Rosemary Jan 18th 2023 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 13166665)
No, they need updating.
I seem to remember offering to go through them this summer and then I got a job instead and didn't have time.

If you have the time it would be useful to ensure that people are receiving the correct information.

Rosemary

EuroTrash Jan 18th 2023 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 13166678)
If you have the time it would be useful to ensure that people are receiving the correct information.

Rosemary

How would I go about it?

Rosemary Jan 18th 2023 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 13166679)
How would I go about it?

If you go through each question and evaluate the information, write out the correct information, message me telling me what alterations are necessary and I will change things for you. In some cases it may well be that the question and answer needs to be deleted so that would also have to be completed by me.

Rosemary

dmu Jan 19th 2023 7:04 am

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 13166665)
No, they need updating.

I started, but gave up due to ignorance! I did ask for 2 or 3 obvious out-of-date posts to be removed, but there's so much to check/correct in a lot of the others....
Bon Courage!;)

Rosemary Jan 19th 2023 7:35 am

Things get out of date so quickly that it is difficult to maintain this sort of thread. Would it be easier to delete the whole thing and start from scratch?

Rosemary

EuroTrash Jan 19th 2023 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 13166731)
Things get out of date so quickly that it is difficult to maintain this sort of thread. Would it be easier to delete the whole thing and start from scratch?

Rosemary

It probably would but the risk then is that things that are useful would get forgotten about and left out.
Is there any way to copy the whole thing before taking it down?

if @dmu or somebody else has the time and the inclination maybe they would come in on it as well? just at least to check anything I put. Two heads and all that.

dmu Jan 19th 2023 8:46 am

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 13166737)
It probably would but the risk then is that things that are useful would get forgotten about and left out.
Is there any way to copy the whole thing before taking it down?

if @dmu or somebody else has the time and the inclination maybe they would come in on it as well? just at least to check anything I put. Two heads and all that.

I can check through personally familiar subjects such as Schooling, Death in France, Succession, etc...., which have nothing to do with post-Brexit issues. I'll let Rosemary know if there are any amendments.

Tweedpipe Jan 19th 2023 1:59 pm

Rosemary: I will check to see if there are any significant changes necessary to the 'Death in France FAQ', as it's something I've had some experience with - well, not exactly dying, but I'm sure you get my drift....... :p
Will suggest any changes required.

Rosemary Jan 19th 2023 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 13166854)
Rosemary: I will check to see if there are any significant changes necessary to the 'Death in France FAQ', as it's something I've had some experience with - well, not exactly dying, but I'm sure you get my drift....... :p
Will suggest any changes required.

Great

Rosemary

Tweedpipe Jan 19th 2023 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 13166857)
Great

Rosemary

Rosemary, here's a starter for the 'Death in France' FAQ update:
Within 24hrs of the death:
The death must be certified by a doctor who will issue the death certificate. In the event of death in a hospital or nursing home, it’s the staff who organise this.(If the death has taken place in a medical establishment, in certain cases one can request in writing to access the medical file of the deceased).
In the event of a violent death (accident, suicide, etc.), one must immediately notify the gendarmerie or the police. (The emergency telephone number is 17). The number 112 can also be dialled in an emergency.

The Public Service FR site also states that one must report the death to the town hall of the place where the death took place. But in reality this declaration is usually taken care of by the funeral company or social organisation.
Check whether the deceased has indicated any specific last wishes (orally, in a will or in a funeral agreement) concerning their funeral (cremation or burial), or the donation of the body to science, or for an organ transplant. In the latter case the deceased may well be in possession of an official donors card.

If the funeral is to be arranged by a family member or close friend, after contacting several funeral homes, demand written quotations before signing any contract. Ensure exactly what services are covered and the fees.
Most funeral companies (Pompes Funèbres) here, do in fact provide a complete package, which alleviates a measure of additional stress for the family. The Pompes Funèbres adjacent to a hospital or nursing homes are often recommended by the staff, but it may be prudent to obtain quotations elsewhere. Often everything is catered for in their ‘standard package', but it’s wise to check if this includes coordination with a local priest if required for a memorial service, and also putting an advisory notice in the local or national press - which would be an extra service and invoiced as such with the price dependent on length of the obituary, number of days to appear etc. The Pompes Funèbres also arrange for the required services of a stonemason, this too generally being invoiced separately from the ‘standard package’.

NOTE: Work in progress, to be continued..........

EuroTrash Jan 19th 2023 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Del_f (Post 13166770)
Hi I was wading through the FAQs sticky, & realised a lot/most of them are about 7yrs old/pre Brexit. (Like the Opening a bank account.). Is the information there still true/accurate? :)

thx

Now look what you've started, Delboy :lol: but you are absolutely right, we've let FAQs get hopelessly out of date and we needed a kick up the jacksy. We're on it now. Please come back in a week or few and tell us what you think, from the point of view of somebody new using the forum to find info. And if when you come back there are questions you are asking that still haven't been covered, please tell us.

Rosemary Jan 19th 2023 8:47 pm

Word of warning, I do not have much time to devote to this so it will be a slow process. So much involved.

Rosemary

Del_f Jan 20th 2023 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Del_f View Post
Hi I was wading through the FAQs sticky, & realised a lot/most of them are about 7yrs old/pre Brexit. (Like the Opening a bank account.). Is the information there still true/accurate? https://britishexpats.com/forum/imag...lies/smile.gif

thx
Now look what you've started, Delboy https://britishexpats.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif but you are absolutely right, we've let FAQs get hopelessly out of date and we needed a kick up the jacksy. We're on it now. Please come back in a week or fe
yeah sorry about that :)