Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Post EU citizens rights

Post EU citizens rights

Old Jul 21st 2017, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Post EU citizens rights

There is a table published in The Connexion showing the current points of agreement (and disagreement) between the Eu and the UK.
It is available online.
This shows amongst other items an agreement to maintain uprated pensions which has previously been the subject of much scaremongering on BE.
Happy reading.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ns__rights.pdf
Old Jul 21st 2017, 1:54 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU citizens rights

Thank you so much for sharing this cyrian!

The section on education - just to be clear - this means that UK/EU kids will continue to be able to study at universities throughout the EU at domestic rates? what do you think?
Old Jul 21st 2017, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting. And good to see so much transparency.

Not mentioned in this document that I saw, but the Telegraph reported yesterday that the EU aren't proposing to let the UK stay in the EHIC scheme post Brexit. I'm surprised not to have seen more fuss about this if it's the case, as it will affect everyone who goes to France, Spain, Greece etc for their holidays.

There does seem quite a lot left still to be resolved.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Thank you so much for sharing this cyrian!

The section on education - just to be clear - this means that UK/EU kids will continue to be able to study at universities throughout the EU at domestic rates? what do you think?
Not sure.
The British side says "as independent right holder eligible for permanent residence".
I only know what I have previously read on BE regarding students rights in the UK.
Have a search on the "Moving back to the UK" section on BE regarding the rights of UK students who are resident outside the EU to be eligible to be treated as UK resident or as overseas students.
My understanding is that students who are resident outside the EU are treated as "overseas" students with regards to fees.
That includes UK citizens.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 6:08 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

No, the current situation is that any citizen of the EU has the right to go and study in any other EU country and will be treated as any other student of that country. My son, is a British citizen and will be attending Amsterdam. His fees will be those of a dutch domestic student even though his residence is the USA. Because for most of EU, it is citizenship that counts. AFAIK the UK is the only EU state that requires domestic RESIDENCE for their citizens.
So, for my son - resident for 3.5 years outside of the EU - going to UK university would mean international rates £15-£35K per year. He could have gone to germany for free, to France for 800 euros a year but the Netherlands will be about 4000 euros a year.

So, that is the situation at the moment and I was wondering what would happen post Brexit. Would UK citizens still be able to study in EU at domestic rates?
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
No, the current situation is that any citizen of the EU has the right to go and study in any other EU country and will be treated as any other student of that country. My son, is a British citizen and will be attending Amsterdam. His fees will be those of a dutch domestic student even though his residence is the USA. Because for most of EU, it is citizenship that counts. AFAIK the UK is the only EU state that requires domestic RESIDENCE for their citizens.
So, for my son - resident for 3.5 years outside of the EU - going to UK university would mean international rates £15-£35K per year. He could have gone to germany for free, to France for 800 euros a year but the Netherlands will be about 4000 euros a year.

So, that is the situation at the moment and I was wondering what would happen post Brexit. Would UK citizens still be able to study in EU at domestic rates?

Good. That was the point that I was trying to flag up for you without knowing which country you were looking at but I see that you are on top of it.