Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to France with 2yr old-single mama

Moving to France with 2yr old-single mama

Old Jan 4th 2016, 9:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to France with 2yr old-single mama

Originally Posted by cardi
The OP clearly has personal problems and is hoping that by coming to France she can leave them behind. It never works.
After all the encouragement she got from the rest of us, you have to come and throw a bucket of cold water over everything!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 4:22 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardi
The OP clearly has personal problems and is hoping that by coming to France she can leave them behind.It never works.
Not even with all that great weather?
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:49 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP IS still around, she should take a look at this recent thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/franc...nature-869271/

She may be able to bring her son over to France to live, but if she finds herself in the situation described, this quirk in French Law will still oblige her to get the father's written permission for surgery, or go before the specific French Court to attain sole parental authority.
Such a pity that she's taken our practical advice so badly. I wonder whether other forums will discourage her like us, although I have noticed that many expats on other forums that I browse in, still wear rose-tinted glasses...

P.S. Hope no one noticed the wrong word that I corrected!

Last edited by dmu; Jan 5th 2016 at 10:07 am.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 11:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder if she has considered Florida?
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpactMama83
I feel the time maybe right, I'm sick of the UK rat race, child care expense, mortgage ,weather, there is really nothing here for me anymore I feel.
You'll love it once you'll experience France believe me!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by ExpactMama83
I'd love to have warm weather, cheap rent, decent school, and a very multicultural area.
Sadly, these requirements tend to be mutually exclusive, i.e. warm weather - expensive, decent school - expensive. We live in a pretty multicultural area here in Normandy, but the weather is the same as in the UK, jobs are very hard to come by, businesses struggle or go bust, young people move to the UK or other countries to get a decent future.

If you really want to give it a go, get a job before you move permanently. Why not try applying for summer jobs in France. Your teaching experience may help.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:48 am
Just Joined

malakoff92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, Bonjour,

Mon dieu!! quelle aventure.. right, i am french, but left the country years ago, but planning on relocating myself with the family in the summer.

as i have been looking into the same on my side, here is what i would recomend.

Try to find a job before moving there.
south is the most expensive part of france, everyone wants to live there, myself included. due to the high price, we are going to relocate in the centre. my brother is in the south, and jobs are difficult to find. but... there is a but..
i found lots of job opportunity though for english speaking in the south.
check this webiste :indeed.com

as far as i know, you will not be entitled to any healthcare for hum... some time.
school is free, beside administration cost.
your son will learn the language really fast, as he is young.. so that is great.

price of living is cheaper though, than Holland and the uk.

to get a place to rent, you need 3x your income (depending on the area), to get a place in a creche, you need an address first, strange i know.

i would advice to at least try to get a job and then go.

in the south of france, SIX FOURS LES PLAGES, beautiful area near TOULON, you can get an apartment for less than 1000 euros per month.

remember, salary in France are lower, with a minimum of 1200 per month. depending on your job skills, experience, of course.

where in the south do you want to go ?

the aix en provence area, being the most expensive. (beside paris)

if you are a teacher, check international schools in the area. they are always looking for native speakers.

advice on cv, cover letters.

what seems to work lately a lot in france, is to send proactively your cv and cover letter in French / english, for possible open application.

i did that, and it worked for me. i got a job offered just yesterday and we are so excited.

take your time, moving with a little one, need careful thinking. but i am sure, you will get there.

if your french is not up to scracth, like fluent , i would look for english jobs, lots and lots in the LYON, AIX EN PROVENCE AREA.

Good luck, and if you need anymore , let me know, i can always find out for you.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 10:18 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Please note the OP has left the room
Old Jan 6th 2016, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TinaBee
Sadly, these requirements tend to be mutually exclusive, i.e. warm weather - expensive, decent school - expensive. We live in a pretty multicultural area here in Normandy, but the weather is the same as in the UK, jobs are very hard to come by, businesses struggle or go bust, young people move to the UK or other countries to get a decent future. If you really want to give it a go, get a job before you move permanently. Why not try applying for summer jobs in France. Your teaching experience may help.
The OP will probably no longer comment, but so many people just don't want to hear the reality. It also shocks me that a so called teacher doesn't want to learn from others. I'm not a France expert, but I do know that even Lyon gets cold in winter and precipitation days are similar to London. With no expectations apart from nice weather, I'm sure it will work out. We all know that there is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing .

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 6th 2016 at 11:56 am.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 11:50 am
Just Joined

malakoff92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The OP will probably no longer comment, but so many people just don't want to hear the reality. It also shocks me that a so called teacher doesn't want to learn from others. I'm not a France expert, but I do know that even Lyon gets cold in winter and precipitation days are similar to London. With no expectations apart from nice weather, I'm sure it will work out. We all now that there is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing .
AHHAHAH!! LOVE THE part about the clothing..
Old Jan 6th 2016, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

A sad situation but a reflection of reality in Lyon this winter - women with children sleeping rough due to lack of accommodation - link here
Old Jan 6th 2016, 3:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Please note the OP has left the room
So it seems, but this thread will be a useful reference for other potential single-parent expats, and might even deserve "Read-Me"/FAQs status?
Old Jan 6th 2016, 5:08 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
So it seems, but this thread will be a useful reference for other potential single-parent expats, and might even deserve "Read-Me"/FAQs status?
Only on the basis of how not to react when advice and comments don't suit folk although this oh so quiet section of the forum got busy for a nanosecond.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Only on the basis of how not to react when advice and comments don't suit folk although this oh so quiet section of the forum got busy for a nanosecond.
CS,
Are you subtly suggesting that I should wave my matraque more frequently....?
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
CS,
Are you subtly suggesting that I should wave my matraque more frequently....?
Ooh! Wave it, wave it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.