Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to France with a 16 year old?

Moving to France with a 16 year old?

Old Apr 30th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

need2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant futureneed2no has a brilliant future
Default Moving to France with a 16 year old?

My brother in law and family are considering moving to France, but they have two children one of 11 and a daughter of 16 who is just taking GCSE'S in UK.

Has anyone any experience of a teenager of this age making the move, if so any advice/recommendations.

Would the teenager (who speaks no French) be held back into College in order to learn the language?

Any help appreciated with thanks
Old Apr 30th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to France with a 16 year old?

Originally Posted by need2no
My brother in law and family are considering moving to France, but they have two children one of 11 and a daughter of 16 who is just taking GCSE'S in UK.

Has anyone any experience of a teenager of this age making the move, if so any advice/recommendations.

Would the teenager (who speaks no French) be held back into College in order to learn the language?

Any help appreciated with thanks
We moved to France when our one daughter was 16. She didn't speak French and we managed to get a place for her at a sous-contrat school in St Lo. She did have to go back a year, as they explained she wouldn't cope with the brevet examination. She was happy to do this, looked upon it as taking her gap year whilst still at school! She made some really good friends at school, is off to spend this weekend with one who now lives in Nantes. She got her French bac and went on to attend the University of Caen. I think the main problem is if the teenager wants to make the move. It's a difficult age wherever you are. We were lucky ours all wanted to move to France, and although there were times when we wondered if we did the right thing, looking back now, I know it was.