Reload this Page >

Moving to BAB with small children

Moving to BAB with small children

Old Sep 11th 2018, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Cdcr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to BAB with small children

H all

Hope I’m starting in the right place on here!

My husband and I are bringing our 3 & 1 year old over to live in or around Bayonne/Anglet.

We have our own business which allows us to direct operations from home - (private and corporate therapy and coaching).
Both of us are directly involved but don’t need to be in London in person all the time. We will both travel back to UK fairly regularly. My husband has two older children who live with their mother here so he will return at least once a month. Biarritz airport is very easy and close to Anglet so part of the reason we chose there.

I am on prescription medication so need to find out more about what the implications of this are and what I need to do.

Any tips, pointers or directions to threads/forums gratefully received.

Thanks

Old Sep 11th 2018, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to BAB with small children

Welcome to the forum Cdcr!

General opinion seems to be that healthcare in France is superior to healthcare in the UK (I'm fortunate enough not to have had much personal experience of either, touch wood!) so I don't see why there would be a problem. Healthcare isn't free at the point of delivery in France, the state reimburses around 70% of most costs, but if your doctor here diagnoses you with a chronic condition needing medication (ALD=affectation de longue durée) then treatment for that particular condition will be reimbursed 100% by the state. The only point is that it's possible you may not be prescribed exactly the same medication; that's because the French medical profession sometimes has slightly different views from its UK counterpart, and also the range of approved drugs in France/UK don't always exactly coincide.

Since you would be running a business, you would register some kind of business structure in France, so your entitlement to healthcare would come via paying social security contributions to URSSAF based on your earnings. In theory the other possibility is that if you spend most of the time physically on UK soil you may be able to obtain an S1 certificate from HMRC confirming that you can continue to pay NICs and the UK will fund your healthcare in France, but one trip back a month is unlikely to qualify you for that; usually HMRC expects you to spend around 4 days per working week in the UK to qualify for a workers S1, and to be honest with Brexit coming up, the workers S1 might not be a sustainable route, since it's an arrangement between EU member states.

I suggest you either find yourself a good French business consultant or get stuck into researching French business structures if you haven't already, because for us Brits it tends to seem horrendously complex at first compared to the UK. The Chamber of Commerce is usually a good source of advice. There are different types of company structure and sometimes different options within each set-up, and it's important to make the right decisions to suit your circumstances. AFAIK there's no specific "partnership" structure. You'll find that social security contributions tend to be significantly higher than you're used to in the UK and income tax is calculated very differently as you're assessed per household rather than per individual.

A final comment is that if you're going to buy a property, you would need to consider the inheritance implications of there being step children, but your notaire would advise on that.

Hope this helps and good luck with your plans.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Sep 11th 2018 at 7:03 am.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 7:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to BAB with small children

Originally Posted by Cdcr
H all

Hope I’m starting in the right place on here!

My husband and I are bringing our 3 & 1 year old over to live in or around Bayonne/Anglet.

We have our own business which allows us to direct operations from home - (private and corporate therapy and coaching).
Both of us are directly involved but don’t need to be in London in person all the time. We will both travel back to UK fairly regularly. My husband has two older children who live with their mother here so he will return at least once a month. Biarritz airport is very easy and close to Anglet so part of the reason we chose there.

I am on prescription medication so need to find out more about what the implications of this are and what I need to do.

Any tips, pointers or directions to threads/forums gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
ET has said it all!
I can't add anything except that your 3 year old would be able to go to Maternelle if you wish. I always recommend it, as all children learn how to live with others and can make friends outside of the family, and expat children in particular integrate very quickly into French life; they're are bilingual (at their level) by the time they go to Primaire at 6. As from next September, schooling from 3 years old will be compulsory anyway....
Places in crêches are limited and priority is given to low-income families, but there are always Municipal Halte-Garderies where you can leave your younger child for a couple of hours from time to time to do your own thing. When I was working at home with mine, this was mainly used for doctor/dentist appointments! Otherwise students can babysit on Wednesdays when there's no school and you're working.
HTH