Moving Away

Old May 14th 2015, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Away

Originally Posted by Bonnet
Having been on forums of all descriptions fo years I can testify that the average level of willingness to do any research at all on anything is petty remote. My OH tells me I assume and expect too much.

Secondly I have also learned to ignore anecdotes. What one person has experienced is not necessarily any example of average or even "once in a while".
Nor am I going to get into the old argument about where is best to live. If you don't like it in France, go somewhere else and stop moaning. I get fed up listening to expats complaining about someone else's country THEY chose to live in. No one is keeping you here.

I am constantlu amazed at how much people do NOT research plans. What is helpful is to advise them were to get the information they want.

Thee are jobs of all sorts in France and so what of they are through agencies? If someone has transferrable skills they should be flexible enough to turn them to jobs where they may have to use them in a different way. You may not find anything for months but in the meantime, try to gain skills you can use...Language or if you have found something you want to do, explore it. Or find something completely different to do. I did. I have had three jobs, one which is directly related to what I did in the UK.
Because I was flexible, patient and persistent.

I think it is a conceit to tell people not to come to France. It isn't your place to assume their experience or wishes are yours. Just give them the information and let them decide.

PS no insecurity in UK streets??? You have GOT to be kidding!! You are a WUM and I claim my five pounds.
Quote:
I spoke to a British friend of ours whose British wife has been a midwife in France for ten years.
I asked him how she got the job.
He said she wrote and sent dozens of CV's, waited a year and practised her French. She didn't give up.

You don't do anecdotes then.
In addition, she has worked for 10 years i.e. since 2005.
This is 2015 and life in France is different.
Nobody has criticised France - we are all happy to be where we are - it is just plain stupid to advise someone to come to France without a) a job or b) being sufficiently fluent in France.
Nobody is going to leave on your say-so.
Old May 14th 2015, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so sorry...I didn't realise that the length of time one is in this forum denotes how useful one's posts are. My bad.

Helpful? If consistently telling people how awful it is here...bad food, bad weather, bad housing, I don't consider that advice...I consider it a closed drawbridge or at best Greymalkin's warning. At worst some negative people who once chose to go to France and now don't want to share it with others who have the same vision. Imagine if Polish immigrants to GB sent all their time saying how they dislike GB. The reply would be '"then go home".
The French have a problem with British expats...they say they don't understand France and are always complaining. Maybe they are right. But it is certainly a group of people I don't want to be associated with. And frankly I am just too busy WORKING.
Old May 14th 2015, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

The French have a problem with British expats...they say they don't understand France and are always complaining. Maybe they are right. But it is certainly a group of people I don't want to be associated with. And frankly I am just too busy WORKING.
Fine.....but there are more French living in the UK than 'Brits' living in France.

There must be a reason for that.

Even my father in law openly says he would leave France if he was a student today.
Old May 14th 2015, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

@Bonnet,
I'm perplexed. I've read many of your posts and found certain of your comments very interesting, and on the mark. Then with a few keyboard strokes we see you completely torpedo yourself out of the water - a few classical examples have been quoted above.
And yet another ( I have to wonder what on earth you were sniffing when you dreamed this one up), your sweeping comment, "The French have a problem with British expats".
In all the years I have been working in Paris and Toulouse with a large French multinational, employing many British workers, I can never remember any French person ever saying (or even whispering) that 'the French have a problem with British expats'.
Now to be fair, and to seek the truth as far as possible, I put your sweepingly affirmed comment to a test.
I asked my French OH in her opinion is there generally anything the French tend to dislike about Brit expats? (I can add that she had no knowledge of this thread or topic whatsoever, and she certainly knows a large number of British expats - present and past, colleagues or otherwise, as well as her own very comprehensive list of French friends and partners - both English and French).
She could think of nothing! I asked her a second time, adding that I wanted an honest answer, and certainly not to spare my feelings. Again she said there was nothing in particular that came to mind.
I then asked the straight question, was she of the impression that the French think that the Brit expats "don't understand France and are always complaining?" The answer was a clear negative. She had never heard that expressed.
I can't help wondering what weed is being passed around down there in Aquitaine......
To be honest I think it's not only fair to advise Brits of the current problems in France, simply because the French are only too well aware themselves of many of the the problems.
Old May 14th 2015, 6:15 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
@Bonnet,
I'm perplexed. I've read many of your posts and found certain of your comments very interesting, and on the mark. Then with a few keyboard strokes we see you completely torpedo yourself out of the water - a few classical examples have been quoted above.
And yet another ( I have to wonder what on earth you were sniffing when you dreamed this one up), your sweeping comment, "The French have a problem with British expats".
In all the years I have been working in Paris and Toulouse with a large French multinational, employing many British workers, I can never remember any French person ever saying (or even whispering) that 'the French have a problem with British expats'.
Now to be fair, and to seek the truth as far as possible, I put your sweepingly affirmed comment to a test.
I asked my French OH in her opinion is there generally anything the French tend to dislike about Brit expats? (I can add that she had no knowledge of this thread or topic whatsoever, and she certainly knows a large number of British expats - present and past, colleagues or otherwise, as well as her own very comprehensive list of French friends and partners - both English and French).
She could think of nothing! I asked her a second time, adding that I wanted an honest answer, and certainly not to spare my feelings. Again she said there was nothing in particular that came to mind.
I then asked the straight question, was she of the impression that the French think that the Brit expats "don't understand France and are always complaining?" The answer was a clear negative. She had never heard that expressed.
I can't help wondering what weed is being passed around down there in Aquitaine......
To be honest I think it's not only fair to advise Brits of the current problems in France, simply because the French are only too well aware themselves of many of the the problems.
After reading your post, I duly asked OH the same question. I normally ask him serious questions on French Law and he laughed at this one. "Mais non, quelle drôle d'idée" was his reply.
If anything, some older French people with long memories have problems with German expats.
Old May 14th 2015, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Having been on forums of all descriptions fo years I can testify that the average level of willingness to do any research at all on anything is petty remote. My OH tells me I assume and expect too much.

Secondly I have also learned to ignore anecdotes. What one person has experienced is not necessarily any example of average or even "once in a while".

Nor am I going to get into the old argument about where is best to live. If you don't like it in France, go somewhere else and stop moaning. I get fed up listening to expats complaining about someone else's country THEY chose to live in. No one is keeping you here.

I am constantlu amazed at how much people do NOT research plans. What is helpful is to advise them were to get the information they want.

Thee are jobs of all sorts in France and so what of they are through agencies? If someone has transferrable skills they should be flexible enough to turn them to jobs where they may have to use them in a different way. You may not find anything for months but in the meantime, try to gain skills you can use...Language or if you have found something you want to do, explore it. Or find something completely different to do. I did. I have had three jobs, one which is directly related to what I did in the UK.
Because I was flexible, patient and persistent.

I think it is a conceit to tell people not to come to France. It isn't your place to assume their experience or wishes are yours. Just give them the information and let them decide.

PS no insecurity in UK streets??? You have GOT to be kidding!! You are a WUM and I claim my five pounds.
You have learned to ignore anecdotes... yet your posts are full of anecdotes.

If I want to experience French culture I can't do that in a city. The real France is out picking grapes in the vineyards or castrating maize, tasting different local breads and olives and pates...listening to patois and dialect and to different music and watching different sports. It is knowing the difference between a Bearnaise beret and a Basque one. It is knowing subtle differences in jokes and stories, about knowing the best waterfalls or the relationship between the woman who lives over the road and the one who lives in the next village. About who owns that field and the reason a house I used to live in is called Marquemal. It is about local French football and rugby teams and the rivalry between them.
Do you really think 'real' French people go out and pick grapes on a Sunday? Seriously?! You gotta be kidding.

Plus, whether you like it or not Paris is FRANCE !

Arrête de vivre dans ton monde de bisounours !

And are you sure you live in France? 'Harcèlement de rue' is a hot topic at the moment.

Yes, it's a fact, in England 'harcèlement de rue' barely exists. And the rate crime in England is at its lowest.

Whereas in France, it's rising: Délinquance : le nombre d'agressions et d'escroqueries n'a jamais été aussi élevé

And please stop denigrating the members of this forum. Because honestly there are many helpful people here.

I really think you're living in your own little world. Good for you, I wish I had those rose tinted spectacles.
Old May 14th 2015, 6:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=babyposer;

[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard mention of the bisounours for years! This made my day, thanks!
(P.S. For anyone who isn't aware, Babyposer is French)
Old May 14th 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyposer
You have learned to ignore anecdotes... yet your posts are full of anecdotes.

Do you really think 'real' French people go out and pick grapes on a Sunday? Seriously?! You gotta be kidding.

Plus, whether you like it or not Paris is FRANCE !

And are you sure you live in France? 'Harcèlement de rue' is a hot topic at the moment.

Yes, it's a fact, in England 'harcèlement de rue' barely exists. And the rate crime in England is at its lowest.

Whereas in France, it's rising: Délinquance : le nombre d'agressions et d'escroqueries n'a jamais été aussi élevé

And please stop denigrating the members of this forum. Because honestly there are many helpful people here.

I really think you're living in your own little world. Good for you, I wish I had those rose tinted spectacles.
Bonnet lives in Salies-de-béarn in the 64.
Yes Babyposer is French - raised and educated in France.
Old May 14th 2015, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
You're welcome my dear!

French AND English please!

I'm very proud of my british roots!

As much as I am of my french roots.
Old May 14th 2015, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmu
After reading your post, I duly asked OH the same question. I normally ask him serious questions on French Law and he laughed at this one. "Mais non, quelle drôle d'idée" was his reply.
If anything, some older French people with long memories have problems with German expats.
I actually met some people who didn't 'like' me because of my British surname (I experienced this as a kid in french schools, from kids AND from teachers!). Rarely. But it happened yes.

I even had a teacher who told me I had a British accent when I spoke in French even though I was born and raised in France

A few comments from various people regarding my British phlegm.

British teachers always loved me though

Most of the time, people don't care.
Old May 14th 2015, 8:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I had to look up bisounours. Surely the Care Bears can't be the right translation??
Old May 14th 2015, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is!

monde de bisounours | WordReference Forums

I wrote it in French cause there's no obvious translation for this one.

I think we could change it to 'vivre dans le monde de Bonnet' haha !

She/He is so.. naive... to say the least.

Last edited by babyposer; May 14th 2015 at 8:29 pm.
Old May 14th 2015, 9:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It is!

monde de bisounours | WordReference Forums

I wrote it in French cause there's no obvious translation for this one.
OK. My Apple Universal Translator is never wrong!

But once I got Care Bear, I didn't need UT to translate into the german:

Gummibaeren.

<or was that a jellybaby?>
Old May 14th 2015, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I actually met some people who didn't 'like' me because of my British surname (I experienced this as a kid in french schools, from kids AND from teachers!). Rarely. But it happened yes.

I even had a teacher who told me I had a British accent when I spoke in French even though I was born and raised in France

The above made me smile.
As a very young kid starting school in Madrid, our son was called Geronimo by the teachers and his young pals.
Back to French school for a couple of years, then had to be schooled in UK for almost 8 months, where he was immediately known as 'The Froggy'. On returning to France (by then with a slight west-country accent) he was then known by his newly-found young French mates as 'Ze Rosbif'.
That was followed by 4 years in Italy, and if he ever had a nickname there at school, he never told us. I suspect he had one, but with an Italian surname anyway, the kids probably accepted him into the fold without further jest.
He loved those 'given' school names, and laughed about them all. Still does.
Old May 15th 2015, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

That was really interesting reading that.

My kids are half French half English with an 'English' surname. Both born in Blois and both speak French as their first language.

My little girl (8) is an English rose who can swap effortlessly between French and English and speaks with a quintessentially English accent. My boy (5) on the other hand is a grumpy French bloke that struggles with English and has zero patience. Can't wait until he learns to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.