British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   To move... or not to move? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/move-not-move-866523/)

chukins Oct 13th 2015 11:16 am

To move... or not to move?

We are thinking about relocating to the Toulouse/midi pyrenees area. Having a massive dilemma about whether to go for it, or not, and I would love to hear the perspectives of folk who are already living in france and have managed to make it work.
The idea is to buy something habitable, but where we could add value, by perhaps doing up outbuildings as gites, or create a campsite or both. In the short term my husband would continue to commute to his job (magazine publisher) in Bristol Mon-Thurs (hence Toulouse area, for good airport links). I have a homebased job that I may or may not be able to take with me (charity fundraiser/manager), but my income isn’t crucial to the endeavour either way. Longer term we would hope to either create a gite income, or find work in France, or freelance for UK employers, or write, or a mix of all those. We would also have a bit of income from renting out our UK house.

I have spoken to a French mortgage broker and established that we could fund a purchase price in France of around £200,000, based on our savings and the UK jobs. Or another option might be to buy a wreck just with savings.

We have 3 kids, girls, who would be 8, 8 and 7 by the time we moved. Two are doing well at school and I think would manage a transition like this, obviously with some difficulty, but I can imagine them learning French and making friends and feeling at home in time. But one of the twins struggles quite a lot with her school work, and I am quite concerned about what the impact on her would be. International school would be one option, but I think that would mean basing ourselves in a city, which wasn’t really the plan... I’m anxious that the combination of changing school, and having to learn in French would put her so far behind her English peers that she never makes up the ground. And in France she may end up having to repeat a year, which would hit her hard, especially being a twin and seeing her sister move on. But perhaps she would have an advantage at this stage because French kids start school later? I don't know how the expectations of 8yr olds compare between the 2 countries' systems.

So I am really torn. In the pros, I am thinking France would be warmer, we could afford a better lifestyle (the houses that I am looking at in our price range are amazing compared to what we have in UK for twice the cost); skiing all through winter; cycling and hiking all summer. I have the impression that life is a little ‘free-er’ in France than England, more outdoorsy; less work obsessed, that kind of thing. (I may be wrong!) The children would grow up bilingual, which is surely a good thing.

On the downside though, we would be apart a lot, if OH commutes back to UK on a weekly basis. We might never find a source of income that adequately replaces his salary. (How much do you think you can make from a 2 or 3 bedroom gite in a year?) If we bought a house with dilapidated outbuidlings, and created gites, would the added value equate to the cost of doing the work, or would we just be pouring money away? I read on this forum that red tape, and tax and general bureaucracy make it fairly impossible to earn an independent income in France. Also we could end up paying tax in 2 countries and having nothing left (though I presume a tax advisor could help us get around that?). And I’m a little worried it would be lonely. I speak reasonable French (did it up to degree level and have worked in France, but 20 years ago so now rusty) - I’m willing to work at it and make an effort, but not sure I would ever really penetrate French social circles, especially if we lived somewhere rural. Am I being overly negative?? I hope so!

I would love to hear the perspectives of people on here. You have all done it, and presumably if you are still on the forum, you are still in France and not regretting the move??!

thoughts welcome! thank you very much for any insights or suggestions

Chatter Static Oct 13th 2015 11:26 am

Re: To move... or not to move?

Welcome to the forum, please don't move to France thinking you can add value to a property the housing market here does not really work like the UK and yes there are lots of bargains but no matter how much work you do to them there value will remain relatively unchanged. Renovation here is not cheap.

Originally Posted by chukins (Post 11770714)
We are thinking about relocating to the Toulouse/midi pyrenees area. Having a massive dilemma about whether to go for it, or not, and I would love to hear the perspectives of folk who are already living in france and have managed to make it work.
The idea is to buy something habitable, but where we could add value, by perhaps doing up outbuildings as gites, or create a campsite or both. In the short term my husband would continue to commute to his job (magazine publisher) in Bristol Mon-Thurs (hence Toulouse area, for good airport links). I have a homebased job that I may or may not be able to take with me (charity fundraiser/manager), but my income isn’t crucial to the endeavour either way. Longer term we would hope to either create a gite income, or find work in France, or freelance for UK employers, or write, or a mix of all those. We would also have a bit of income from renting out our UK house.

I have spoken to a French mortgage broker and established that we could fund a purchase price in France of around £200,000, based on our savings and the UK jobs. Or another option might be to buy a wreck just with savings.

We have 3 kids, girls, who would be 8, 8 and 7 by the time we moved. Two are doing well at school and I think would manage a transition like this, obviously with some difficulty, but I can imagine them learning French and making friends and feeling at home in time. But one of the twins struggles quite a lot with her school work, and I am quite concerned about what the impact on her would be. International school would be one option, but I think that would mean basing ourselves in a city, which wasn’t really the plan... I’m anxious that the combination of changing school, and having to learn in French would put her so far behind her English peers that she never makes up the ground. And in France she may end up having to repeat a year, which would hit her hard, especially being a twin and seeing her sister move on. But perhaps she would have an advantage at this stage because French kids start school later? I don't know how the expectations of 8yr olds compare between the 2 countries' systems.

So I am really torn. In the pros, I am thinking France would be warmer, we could afford a better lifestyle (the houses that I am looking at in our price range are amazing compared to what we have in UK for twice the cost); skiing all through winter; cycling and hiking all summer. I have the impression that life is a little ‘free-er’ in France than England, more outdoorsy; less work obsessed, that kind of thing. (I may be wrong!) The children would grow up bilingual, which is surely a good thing.

On the downside though, we would be apart a lot, if OH commutes back to UK on a weekly basis. We might never find a source of income that adequately replaces his salary. (How much do you think you can make from a 2 or 3 bedroom gite in a year?) If we bought a house with dilapidated outbuidlings, and created gites, would the added value equate to the cost of doing the work, or would we just be pouring money away? I read on this forum that red tape, and tax and general bureaucracy make it fairly impossible to earn an independent income in France. Also we could end up paying tax in 2 countries and having nothing left (though I presume a tax advisor could help us get around that?). And I’m a little worried it would be lonely. I speak reasonable French (did it up to degree level and have worked in France, but 20 years ago so now rusty) - I’m willing to work at it and make an effort, but not sure I would ever really penetrate French social circles, especially if we lived somewhere rural. Am I being overly negative?? I hope so!

I would love to hear the perspectives of people on here. You have all done it, and presumably if you are still on the forum, you are still in France and not regretting the move??!

thoughts welcome! thank you very much for any insights or suggestions

scot47 Oct 13th 2015 11:46 am

Property markets in other countries are different. The strange development of the real estate market in Britain since the 1980s is not mirrored in France or elsewhere in Europe.

dmu Oct 13th 2015 12:00 pm

We have 3 kids, girls, who would be 8, 8 and 7 by the time we move

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Your three children are well within the "limit" for moving to France and attending French school. They start learning to read and write at 6 here, so your 7-year-old will be OK. The struggling twin could also start in CE1 with her younger sister, to get her used to the beginnings of French Grammar and Maths à la française, and if all goes well, skip a year later on, to be at the same level as her twin when it's time to go to Collège.
Don't leave it too late to make your minds up, it becomes very difficult, if not impossible, for 10/11-year olds to cope with being thrown in at the deep end in Collège without French Grammar/Culture behind them.
Others will come along concerning your Taxes, healthcare coverage if your OH is salaried in the UK, feasibility of creating a gîte, etc....
Good luck with your decision!:)

EuroTrash Oct 13th 2015 12:51 pm

In the pros, I am thinking France would be warmer, we could afford a better lifestyle (the houses that I am looking at in our price range are amazing compared to what we have in UK for twice the cost); skiing all through winter; cycling and hiking all summer. I have the impression that life is a little ‘free-er’ in France than England, more outdoorsy; less work obsessed, that kind of thing. (I may be wrong!) The children would grow up bilingual, which is surely a good thing.

On the downside though, we would be apart a lot, if OH commutes back to UK on a weekly basis. We might never find a source of income that adequately replaces his salary. (How much do you think you can make from a 2 or 3 bedroom gite in a year?) If we bought a house with dilapidated outbuidlings, and created gites, would the added value equate to the cost of doing the work, or would we just be pouring money away? I read on this forum that red tape, and tax and general bureaucracy make it fairly impossible to earn an independent income in France. Also we could end up paying tax in 2 countries and having nothing left (though I presume a tax advisor could help us get around that?). And I’m a little worried it would be lonely. I speak reasonable French (did it up to degree level and have worked in France, but 20 years ago so now rusty) - I’m willing to work at it and make an effort, but not sure I would ever really penetrate French social circles, especially if we lived somewhere rural.

If your OH works in the UK and the family lives in France, that normally works out the optimum solution as regards tax and social security - you don't pay tax twice because of the dual taxation agreement, and the UK remains your competent state for healthcare etc which saves you the significant expense of contributing to the French system.

It worries me a little that your list of pros doesn't include loving France. You need to, really, because it can be exasperating at times and if you don't love it you can wind up hating it. Also as a rule I think that anyone who thinks they will be able to 'afford a better lifestyle' is setting themself up for a disappointment - yes houses are cheaper but other things are more expensive and overall it balances out. If you look at Brits who've moved to France, they're not exactly rolling in disposable income, a lot of them are more stretched financially than they were in the UK, though they may live in bigger houses. But in your case, for as long as OH communtes back to the UK you will escape the biggest financial drawback of France which is the social security contributions. If that changes, it could affect your finances by more than just the loss of his salary because you'll lose your entitlement to NHS cover.

Only you can decide because only you know your priorities - is it material wealth, is it togetherness; are you risk-averse, do you cope well with stress and setbacks... is your couple absolutely rock-solid because it will need to be to survive... All personal stuff. You have to dig deep and be very honest to find the answers. It can be done but it's likely to be a struggle and there will be sacrifices to be made, how much do you want it, will it be worth the sacrifices?

dmu Oct 13th 2015 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 11770752)
If your OH works in the UK and the family lives in France, that normally works out the optimum solution as regards tax and social security - you don't pay tax twice because of the dual taxation agreement, and the UK remains your competent state for healthcare etc which saves you the significant expense of contributing to the French system.

It worries me a little that your list of pros doesn't include loving France. You need to, really, because it can be exasperating at times and if you don't love it you can wind up hating it. Also as a rule I think that anyone who thinks they will be able to 'afford a better lifestyle' is setting themself up for a disappointment - yes houses are cheaper but other things are more expensive and overall it balances out. If you look at Brits who've moved to France, they're not exactly rolling in disposable income, a lot of them are more stretched financially than they were in the UK, though they may live in bigger houses. But in your case, for as long as OH communtes back to the UK you will escape the biggest financial drawback of France which is the social security contributions. If that changes, it could affect your finances by more than just the loss of his salary because you'll lose your entitlement to NHS cover.

Only you can decide because only you know your priorities - is it material wealth, is it togetherness; are you risk-averse, do you cope well with stress and setbacks... is your couple absolutely rock-solid because it will need to be to survive... All personal stuff. You have to dig deep and be very honest to find the answers. It can be done but it's likely to be a struggle and there will be sacrifices to be made, how much do you want it, will it be worth the sacrifices?

:goodpost:
I would add that the OP should be prepared to be free on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons in order to taxi her girls to their various Wednesday activities/birthday parties/medical appointments, etc.... The days are shorter in Primaire now and, if they don't enrol for the optional "post-scolaire" activities laid on, they go home at 16h00 (in our village, at least). If you don't pick them up yourself, the schoolbus driver won't "deliver" the child if a parent isn't at the stop to collect.... This somewhat limits a mother's free time in the afternoon! (and it gets worse when they're in Collège/Lycée as their social lives develop!)
@chukins - Depending on how "free" you are now, this might be an important factor....

dennerlymum Oct 13th 2015 3:05 pm

for education that may ease the process of the transition you could try googling English 31 - an English unit in both a primary and secondary school in Tlse - (Colomiers to be exact) or just go for the wednesday option and try jack in the box toulouse.

Both have charges associated but nothing like those of the international school.

re making money on a house - it is very unlikely here è though toulouse does have a booming market due to airbus - however french people are generally far more attracted to building their own houses and leave the doer uppers to the mad English and Germans :)

My daughter attended English 31 so once you have posted 3x I am happy to advise

another good site is Toulouse English Speaking Forum on facebook

Michele :thumbup:

chukins Oct 13th 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks loads everyone who has replied... really helpful. It sounds like the schooling thing could be made to work, but that I would be foolish to think we would be making any money from property refurbs or gites or whatever. Which leaves us with a long term commuting to UK option. Much to think about! Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

BEVS Oct 13th 2015 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 11770752)
It worries me a little that your list of pros doesn't include loving France.

You write this quite a bit. I do see what you are saying but more often than not it is the case that when someone wishes to emigrate it is the pull to try something different, rather than the love of a place already known & no, I haven't discounted the language difference. That can be part of it too.

Heck. People emigrate to Canda/Oz & NZ without ever having visited the place & still make a good new life.

Originally Posted by eurotrash

Yes. Any large move to anywhere new comes with risk and a certain amount of hard work to adapt and overcome.

Still. Don't let that put you off Chunkins.

If you have this in you to try , then try.

FWIW , my own eyes were set to France before we took a wrong turn and ended up in New Zealand.

We still wouldn't rule out a France base sometime down the line and it might well be that my OH will commute between UK and France workwise during those years .

Anything is possible if you work on the practicalities and see if it is a good fit or become a good fit for your family. Nothing ventured, nothing gained & all that.

Just as with a thought to moving anywhere, your personal research + lists of pros /cons and cost of living figures will help enormously.

Do come back with your thoughts. We all love to share.

Novocastrian Oct 13th 2015 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11771168)

FWIW , my own eyes were set to France before we took a wrong turn and ended up in New Zealand.

We still wouldn't rule out a France base sometime down the line and it might well be that my OH will commute between UK and France workwise during those years .

If you do that you're welcome to pop in for a cup of tea in a BE mug at our place. ;)

BEVS Oct 13th 2015 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11771185)
If you do that you're welcome to pop in for a cup of tea in a BE mug at our place. ;)

All the more reason to relocate. :-)

EuroTrash Oct 14th 2015 12:09 am

You write this quite a bit. I do see what you are saying but more often than not it is the case that when someone wishes to emigrate it is the pull to try something different, rather than the love of a place already known & no, I haven't discounted the language difference. That can be part of it too.

I see what you're saying too.
I suppose the reason why it's turned into a bit of a hobbyhorse with me is that I get so sick of hearing expats around here complaining about all things French and making it clear to anyone who wil listen that they live here in spite of it being France, rather than because of it being France. Saying that I have to admit that I don't know any of them very well so maybe it's all bluff and bluster and they're really very happy bunnies and love it here. But that's not the impression they give, they sound bl00dy miserable and it makes me cringe every time I get cornered in Carrefour.
I wonder if the problem about France is that people sometimes have such romantic notions of it that aren't the reality. A lot of people who move here aren't the type who would ever willingly take a leap into the unknown or move half way round the world. They came here because they thought they knew what to expect, after all France is just across the Channel from the UK so it can't be very different can it, and they've seen what it's like on A place in the sun and all the rest. Then they find they don't like it and they blame France for not being what they thought. I don't think places like Canada, Oz et al have quite such a distorted image in the UK, so don't lull people into the same false sense of security.
So yes I totally agree that for some people it's the pull to try something different and if that's the case then cool, but I don't actually think that that's the reason why people mostly move to France. I think different countries appeal to different types of people and I think the type of person who wants a totally new experience would usually want do more than hop across the Channel - yes I know you fancied France so obviously that's not always the case, perhaps I'm totally off beam altogether. But I do think there's a particular danger with France that Brits don't expect or want it to be foreign, and when they discover it is, they don't like it.

dennerlymum Oct 14th 2015 6:36 am

Honestly I have moved loads of times both in the uk and in France and, if you are still of working age then no matter where you are, you still have to get up and go to work Monday to Friday ...

for me France hasnt changed a lot in my day to day - BUT it is warmer in general (or at least the skies are bluer more often), my children and I are bilingual and finally airbus France is a better employer for hubby than airbus uk :)

Choose to move for the right reasons - there are also lots of reasons to dislike France and if the positives dont outweigh the negatives then you will end up miserable :thumbup:

Chatter Static Oct 14th 2015 7:35 am

Heck. People emigrate to Canda/Oz & NZ without ever having visited the place & still make a good new life..

With Oz and Nz the main hurdle is distance imho yes they do stuff differently but being able to walk into a bar have a normal conversation makes life easy in my book odd's are they will laugh at your jokes rather than you "Le rosbif".....

When you live here like Et says you can't help but hear folk complain with a somewhat bitterness about how they are not enjoying life here for whatever reason.

Coming with pots of preverbal gold to invest in property do not get you the same results and rewards as the UK which is what most people ideas of investment tend to be based on. The Gite's market is pretty saturated these days so it's work and investment for less return.

This is a land of high overheads and the only horse that comes in first every year is the one ridden by the tax man.

Dont get me wrong plenty of folk move here and love it and do well but getting to the point where they can say they are doing well tends to take a lot longer and there are not as many of them.

Whiners tend to be those who don't crack the language which takes a lot more effort when attempting it as an adult.

Keeping yourself sane here is a full time job without all the other stuff you have to worry about...

cyrian Oct 14th 2015 8:29 am

Heck. People emigrate to Canda/Oz & NZ without ever having visited the place & still make a good new life.

I must agree with ET's warning and that you really need to know what you are coming to in France.I cringe when posters say that they are relocating their busines to France assuming that everything will just roll along as in the UK.Also when they eventually say that they have someone with special needs and they expect UK standards of care and support.Many also say that they will start to learn French. It is bloody hard to speak French at an adequate level and that gets even more complicated when you start to deal with French bureaucracy.Canada; Oz and NZ are anglophone countries with laws based on UK laws and are culturally similar. France is none of these.Many people move successfully to France and some never learn to speak French but many of them are retired with their "place in the sun".The members on here love France and want other Brits to enjoy it as they do but also want to caution them about the problems they will certainly face.Otherwise we wouldn't need BE - we would just get on with life in our own little bubbles.