Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

More questions re Carte Vitale

More questions re Carte Vitale

Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light
Default More questions re Carte Vitale

I've read tons of stuff on the Carte Vitale and find it to be a minefield. Can anyone spell it out to me in words I can understand? We became resident in France April 2008. We each have one of the new photo Carte Vitales issued on 18/11/2008. I now read that these cards need renewing each year in the pharmacie. My understanding regarding health cover is that we are covered for up to 2 years, (from when?) but then have a period 'in the wilderness' with nothing, until we have been resident for 5 years. Which will be in April 2013. Does the card spontaneously combust? Do we just get refused when we try to use it? What will happen? I note that this post appears to be in very poor English, gramatically speaking, but I'm sure you all get the drift!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More questions re Carte Vitale

I came to France same year and month as you, applied right away and still only have a provisionary number, no card!
As far I understand it there is no need to renew the card every year, but then when I finally get my card, it's going to be one of the older ones, not the new photo one.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

hi there.
1; I think the renewing you talk about is actually updating. I knew nothing about it until a friend mentioned it recently. In every pharmacy there is a machine (ours is near the door) you put your card in and the machine will update any info necessary??? how or why is not mine to reason why. Anyway the machine will then tell you your card is mise a jour and all is hunky dory for another year

2 Your cards seem to have been set up based on your nat ins contributions in the uk before you arrived. This will give you 2 years cover after which you will be in the wilderness as you say. However are you working now? If so then you need to go back to your CPAM office and tell them this - the card will then be 'updated to reflect that you are now paying into the french system and you will effectively have no worries from then on
To note if it does run out then it will be refused if used. My hubby's is based on an E101/106 and it has currently run out so until the new one arrives we are int he wilderness

hope this helps
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G-J-B
I came to France same year and month as you, applied right away and still only have a provisionary number, no card!
As far I understand it there is no need to renew the card every year, but then when I finally get my card, it's going to be one of the older ones, not the new photo one.
Ouch. Sorry you have to wait soooo long for your card. If I recall, we received ours about 5 weeks after we appplied. That's the difference, I guess, between living in Paris and living out here in the sticks. Not sure of your age, but if you also have the 2 year deadline, it may well have expired before you get it!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Hah! Just checked out your profile. You're a mere boy! Hope you receive the Carte Vitale soon!! Are the new ones not yet being circulated in your area?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
hi there.
1; I think the renewing you talk about is actually updating. I knew nothing about it until a friend mentioned it recently. In every pharmacy there is a machine (ours is near the door) you put your card in and the machine will update any info necessary??? how or why is not mine to reason why. Anyway the machine will then tell you your card is mise a jour and all is hunky dory for another year

2 Your cards seem to have been set up based on your nat ins contributions in the uk before you arrived. This will give you 2 years cover after which you will be in the wilderness as you say. However are you working now? If so then you need to go back to your CPAM office and tell them this - the card will then be 'updated to reflect that you are now paying into the french system and you will effectively have no worries from then on
To note if it does run out then it will be refused if used. My hubby's is based on an E101/106 and it has currently run out so until the new one arrives we are int he wilderness

hope this helps
The number of times I've been the pharmacie and never noticed a machine! I shall make a point of looking out for it next visit. Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

The machine is called a "borne" and looks like this

Some pharmacies have them and in other places they are in the mairie.
Failing either of those, they'll be either in your local prefecture or the nearest office of the CPAM - which means a large town. Ask at your local pharmacy where is the nearest one, if they don't have one themselves.
Here are the instructions (sorry only in French!)
The main reasons for updating are shown in "3".
If you have no change to make you still put the card in and it will just be registered as "validity having been renewed".
http://www.sesam-vitale.fr/ps/nov/anim/anim2/anim2.htm

Last edited by Roger O; Sep 6th 2009 at 8:56 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roger O
The machine is called a "borne" and looks like this
http://www.ville-melle.fr/IMG/jpg/89...le_H_pital.jpg
Some pharmacies have them and in other places they are in the mairie.
Failing either of those, they'll be either in your local prefecture or the nearest office of the CPAM - which means a large town. Ask at your local pharmacy where is the nearest one, if they don't have one themselves.
Here are the instructions (sorry only in French!)
The main reasons for updating are shown in "3".
If you have no change to make you still put the card in and it will just be registered as "validity having been renewed".
http://www.sesam-vitale.fr/ps/nov/anim/anim2/anim2.htm
Ooooops. I spent 20 mins trying to get a passport photo out of that last week! Thanks Roger..
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smithyandlisa
Ooooops. I spent 20 mins trying to get a passport photo out of that last week! Thanks Roger..

LOL
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smithyandlisa
Hah! Just checked out your profile. You're a mere boy! Hope you receive the Carte Vitale soon!! Are the new ones not yet being circulated in your area?
I like you already.
I was surprised because I thought the photo carte vitales would be compulsary, and I didn't really want to drag myself across Paris for a photo session. My partner called them on my behalf, and they said I could have one without a photo, which sounded great, but I don't think I'll ever receive it now! I've had no need for it yet, but it will be a little bit of a hassle, as I believe I'll have to pay for everything upfront before claiming it back with my provisionary number.