Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moped Riding in France

Moped Riding in France

Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

epiphanies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moped Riding in France

Thanks for the clarification - as I hope is understandable, I just want to make absolutely sure before deciding upon a course of action. I'll certainly also be looking into the insurance options more carefully now, and may post a thread with any queries I have regarding this in due course.

Apologies if my response regarding the accident rate seemed to convey insolence - this was not in any way my intention. It does become a little tiresome, however, to be responded to in a 'blanket' fashion simply because of one's age; the accident rates are indisputable, but some of us fully appreciate the dangers and intend to take every possible measure to avoid such eventualities.

All of that said, I'm extremely grateful for all of the replies this thread has received, and look forward to drawing upon this immense pool of collected knowledge throughout the next eight months and beyond.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:22 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Remember also, that here in France it's the law that your documents are carried with you at all times when on the moped. They have to be originals too. Not copies. You're not required to have a reflective vest by law, but it's a bloody good idea to have one just the same.

Blanket assertions are there because of the statistics I'm afraid. And that you don't have a) years of experience in any kind of driving, and b) you have little if any experience of the driving conditions here in France.

It's one of the reasons that almost all insurance companies class you as a liability until the age of 25.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:13 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Good advice re carrying the documentation. The French themselves often forget this and my work colleague was bemoaning only this morning that the police stopped him on his scooter yesterday when all he had on him was his credit card. They fined him nearly 150 euros for not having all the docs with him. Ouch.

On insurance not sure how it works with scooters but after lots of internet searches and discussions with expats I did manage to find insurance for my UK registered car which covers both the UK and continental Europe for a 12 monthly basis - the policy is with AXA, the French insurance company and it is bloody expensive (600 pounds for a Ford Focus vs 200 pounds for a UK only policy). Apparently I am "supposed" to re-register my car if I am in France for more than 6 months but I am told that this is a very grey area in terms of EU guidance vs French policy and even the French police have different ideas of what is right/wrong depending on suburbs. My suburb is full of expats and there are many here on permanent or semi-permanent basis driving around in UK registered cars. Since I am only in France for 3 years I will take my chances with my UK registration and the expensive insurance policy.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herman
Good advice re carrying the documentation. The French themselves often forget this and my work colleague was bemoaning only this morning that the police stopped him on his scooter yesterday when all he had on him was his credit card. They fined him nearly 150 euros for not having all the docs with him. Ouch.

On insurance not sure how it works with scooters but after lots of internet searches and discussions with expats I did manage to find insurance for my UK registered car which covers both the UK and continental Europe for a 12 monthly basis - the policy is with AXA, the French insurance company and it is bloody expensive (600 pounds for a Ford Focus vs 200 pounds for a UK only policy). Apparently I am "supposed" to re-register my car if I am in France for more than 6 months but I am told that this is a very grey area in terms of EU guidance vs French policy and even the French police have different ideas of what is right/wrong depending on suburbs. My suburb is full of expats and there are many here on permanent or semi-permanent basis driving around in UK registered cars. Since I am only in France for 3 years I will take my chances with my UK registration and the expensive insurance policy.
The chance is, if it is not taxed in the country of origin it can be crushed, hope it`s only worth a tenner. ;-))
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:49 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
The chance is, if it is not taxed in the country of origin it can be crushed, hope it`s only worth a tenner. ;-))

Urm NO Road Tax In France.

Hand in your Garb of Justice on the way out

Plus in France they don't Crush Cars they export them to the pikeys in Ireland.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 12th 2009 at 4:53 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Urm NO Road Tax In France.

Hand in your Garb of Justice on the way out

Plus in France they don't Crush Cars they export them to the pikeys in Ireland.
Country of origin, ie UK registration so needs UK tax, they crush them in Spain. lol
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:25 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Country of origin, ie UK registration so needs UK tax, they crush them in Spain. lol
I would like to point out, If you look at the top it says what Forum section your in. This is France Not Spain so quite in the cheap seats please

Car Tax is not an issue when being stopped by the Gendarmes, If your on English Insurance they might get a bit picky as no car tax would invalidate a lot of UK policies. Got stopped a few times when we first moved here our car was English with no Road Tax. We had sent dvla a letter saying the car was no longer in the UK and would not be returning and they stopped sending us those silly letters and our insurance was French, We did then shift it to French plates and my OH had a we bit of an accident in a cark park. So then it got scrapped sodding annoying when you get rid of a new car that qickly.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 12th 2009 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:21 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

The car is UK taxed. I know many people say legally you should re-register in France within 6 months but it is possible to get a valid insurance policy to cover a UK registered car France and in my case I am in France temporarily (3 years) and my residence status is borderline (still own home in UK, pay UK social security not French, have permanent UK employment contract with a temporary rider or secondment to France, receive UK child benefit etc). Others at work in the same boat as me get the Stuart Collins insurance policy and keep their UK registered cars and seems to be OK and one of them even had a claim for an accident in France met with no issue.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:48 am

PS. UK registered Rolls Royce Silver Shadow parked round the corner from my office off the Champs Elysees for the past year with a 2002 tax disc! Probably belongs to a diplomat or an embassy though.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Herman
The car is UK taxed. I know many people say legally you should re-register in France within 6 months but it is possible to get a valid insurance policy to cover a UK registered car France and in my case I am in France temporarily (3 years) and my residence status is borderline (still own home in UK, pay UK social security not French, have permanent UK employment contract with a temporary rider or secondment to France, receive UK child benefit etc). Others at work in the same boat as me get the Stuart Collins insurance policy and keep their UK registered cars and seems to be OK and one of them even had a claim for an accident in France met with no issue.
You have to export the car if it`s taken outside the UK. HERE
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:00 pm

Only if its out of the UK for more than 12 months. My car will return to the UK every 11.5 months for a service and home visit before returning to its temporary residence in France.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by epiphanies
Hi,

I'm planning to move out to France at the end of February and stay until October to get my French in order as part of a 'Gap Year' before starting University, and - having not yet passed my full driving test - am looking for an alternative method of independence for the period. A moped, then, seems like a good idea.

I have my standard British car provisional, and from what I understand will need to take a CBT before I can take the [under 50cc] moped I'll buy out on British roads as a learner. That's all fine, but I'm wondering what the situation in France will be - I've seen lots of websites which give contradictory information, and I'd like to get answers from someone 'in the know'.

As I'm only 18, then, will I need to achieve a full UK moped licence before being permitted onto French roads? I know that my provisional licence won't be legal outside of the UK, and I don't plan on getting a French one just to skirt that responsibility. I've seen some evidence, however, to suggest that so long as the moped is under 50cc and I'm not between 14 and 16 [the only ages seeming to require a written theory test before getting on a French moped - but again this could be wrong], I can just ride with no documentation other than proof of identity and insurance.

So...in brief...can I feasibly buy a <50cc moped in the UK, drive it to Dover on my provisional, post-CBT licence with 'L'-plates, then just take the plates off when I get to Calais? I'll have insurance...so that won't be an issue. I obviously won't be able to go on motorways or anything...but, to be honest, that's part of the whole appeal for me; I'm not going to France to go *anywhere* quickly.

Any thoughts? All help will be *very* warmly received.
forget the Moped and get a yoghurt pot (Voitures sans permis)- i have no UK licence and drive mine - love her so much and you'll be surprised at the performance (ask LeChant LOL) and of course they are a little safer

PJ

Last edited by paulajayne; Jan 20th 2009 at 7:34 pm. Reason: because I have nothing better to do
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:30 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulajayne
forget the Moped and get a yoghurt pot - i have no UK licence and drive mine - love her so much and you'll be surprised at the performance (ask LeChant LOL) and of course they are a little safer

PJ
Don't drag me into your Yoghurt fantasies.......
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Le Chant
Don't drag me into your Yoghurt fantasies.......
Thought you enjoyed me dragging you into them
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Le Chant
When you've been in Europe for a while and are able to read the daily papers, you'll see just how many young drivers are maimed and injured on the roads out here. I hope you don't become another paragraph in our local rag.
Er, sorry? Having come from a family of bikers and, in the dim and distant past, won a grasstrack trophy, I cannot support you slagging off all motorcyclists. Whatever vehicle people start their driving career on they're going to be at a higher risk of accidents, however young or old the law says they have to be when they start. Don't you know that young people need danger in their lives? It's their way of finding out what they are capable of doing. I'd rather they were getting their thrills and independence through something like owning a moped than through hanging around in pubs or taking drugs. Epiphanies sounds very sensible and I hope s/he has as much fun, friendship and pleasure from two wheels as I did. I would suggest always wearing protective clothing, however hot the day, especially gloves and something to cover your knees, and, of course, a helmet. Gravel rash is not funny. Roads round here are bare of traffic, far less risk of accidents than in England.
Good luck Ephiphanies. I'm pretty sure your insurance company will withdraw your insurance after a month so you will have to get insurance over here (marginally cheaper in my experience). Bear in mind that if your tax runs out while you are over here and you do not have current English insurance you will not be able to retax your vehicle. And because the system has become computerised they do not accept French based insurance on an English vehicle whatever the documentation says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.