Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Montpellier / divorce registry

Montpellier / divorce registry

Old Jan 2nd 2019, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice
Default Montpellier / divorce registry

Having Googled for information, without success I am writing to ask if anybody knows of a central registry of divorce proceedings in Montpellier France, or elsewhere.
tried to post previously but saw no trace of first posting. Hope this works. First posting though may still turn up.
thank you.

Old Jan 2nd 2019, 4:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montpellier / divorce registry

Originally Posted by allegra
Having Googled for information, without success I am writing to ask if anybody knows of a central registry of divorce proceedings in Montpellier France, or elsewhere.
tried to post previously but saw no trace of first posting. Hope this works. First posting though may still turn up.
thank you.

Hi, can you be a bit more specific and tell us what you need to know? Are you personally involved in the divorce?
The two Avocats will have copies of the proceedings in their files, accessible only to their respective clients. I imagine the divorce proceedings are registered at Greffe of the local Tribunal d'Instance where the Judge issued the Decree, but doubt that the dossiers are open to third parties. If a French person is involved, the divorce will be noted in the margin of his/her Birth Certificate.
HTH
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, can you be a bit more specific and tell us what you need to know? Are you personally involved in the divorce?
The two Avocats will have copies of the proceedings in their files, accessible only to their respective clients. I imagine the divorce proceedings are registered at Greffe of the local Tribunal d'Instance where the Judge issued the Decree, but doubt that the dossiers are open to third parties. If a French person is involved, the divorce will be noted in the margin of his/her Birth Certificate.
HTH
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Replied to this but no trace. Must be doing something wrong.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
ex husband is seriously ill in Montpellier. He was/ is married to A Khmer woman who has ruined him financially he said.
Before hospitalization he told me he had divorced her.He told other family members that divorce was still to be finalised. His three children need to know what his marital status is. As a Drench speaker I would have no problem in communicating with authorities in France, but I need to know where they are. I am in Quebec.

Thank you again.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look in yellow pages
Click in the "pagesblanche" tab and enter his surname.
You can reduce the search if you know the area and you can add his 1st name if you need to.
HTH
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 4:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allegra
Replied to this but no trace. Must be doing something wrong.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
ex husband is seriously ill in Montpellier. He was/ is married to A Khmer woman who has ruined him financially he said.
Before hospitalization he told me he had divorced her.He told other family members that divorce was still to be finalised. His three children need to know what his marital status is. As a Drench speaker I would have no problem in communicating with authorities in France, but I need to know where they are. I am in Quebec.

Thank you again.
As his ex, I don't think you'll get far with any authorities. One of his children could try faxing the Greffe of the Montpellier Td'I
https://lannuaire.service-public.fr/...lt/ti-34172-01
explaining their need. They won't get any info over the phone....
HTH
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
As his ex, I don't think you'll get far with any authorities. One of his children could try faxing the Greffe of the Montpellier Td'I
https://lannuaire.service-public.fr/...lt/ti-34172-01
explaining their need. They won't get any info over the phone....
HTH
Upon reflexion, a simpler way would be for your ex to tell you all who his Avocat is, and his children could contact him/her, likewise explaining the situation. Where are they at present? If one of them can go to Montpellier for a face-to-face meeting with the Avocat, tell them to take proof of relationship with your ex (recently issued birth certificate, proof that their father is incapable of attending himself, ....).
As said, if your ex is French, one of his children can ask the Mairie of the Commune where he was born for a copy of his Birth Certificate. Any change of matrimonial status is recorded, with details of marriages and divorces, in the margin....
Old Jan 12th 2019, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies for not getting back sooner to thank you all who replied. We have learned from his social worker that he is not divorced thus responsibility for him in his current situation is all hers. Currently her Facebook page shows her living it up seemingly with not a care in the world. She doesn't visit him in hospital.

I know there are exceptions but let this be a warning to other expats contemplating going along this route with a much younger Khmer woman.

Thank you all again.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
You should be aware that his children have a legally defined right to his estate including property.
A spouse does not have an automatic right to inherit a property but instead has a right to usufruit (lifetime use).
HTH
Old Jan 13th 2019, 8:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi,
You should be aware that his children have a legally defined right to his estate including property.
A spouse does not have an automatic right to inherit a property but instead has a right to usufruit (lifetime use).
HTH
It depends on the régime matrimonial. I'm in the middle of a Succession procedure and will inherit 50% of OH's assets on the date of his death, the other 50% being divided equally between our two children and the 3 children from his earlier marriage. If the OP's former husband passes away, his children will in any case inherit a percentage of his property/assets, and they should keep in close touch with his social worker.
The OP might be involved if her ex contributed into French Pension Funds - all former spouses have the right to apply for a "Pension de Réversion" which is calculated pro rata between them all.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

The OP said the wife had "runined" him.
The flipside of having rights to the estate, is that you also have responsibility for any outstanding debts, including medical/care costs.
The wife also has responsibilities and the courts will enforce this if necessary, but if he has children then under French law they must contribute.
It's a sad situation.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

The OP was also told that they were divorced.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
It depends on the régime matrimonial. I'm in the middle of a Succession procedure and will inherit 50% of OH's assets on the date of his death, the other 50% being divided equally between our two children and the 3 children from his earlier marriage. If the OP's former husband passes away, his children will in any case inherit a percentage of his property/assets, and they should keep in close touch with his social worker.
The OP might be involved if her ex contributed into French Pension Funds - all former spouses have the right to apply for a "Pension de Réversion" which is calculated pro rata between them all.
Yes, I also have such a régime matrimonial - that is what I meant by an automatic right - in France it is normal that the spouse does not inherit the property and any assets but perhaps a percentage of any assets.
If the children are interested then they need to make enquiries as you suggest.