Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

money matters and TV matters?

money matters and TV matters?

Old May 25th 2008, 9:03 am
Franglais from Finistere

onetwo will become famous soon enoughonetwo will become famous soon enough
Default money matters and TV matters?

bonjour everyone and bonne fete to the mums.
we are now almost sorted to arrive in Brittany mid july: ( took a while and a lot of stress to sell this house here!) and i would love your opinions, advice on a few things.
Money: I intend to leave money on my account in the Uk for a while until we find a house to buy- renting cheaply first!-and hopefully until the sterling fights back vs Euro. what are the legal/tax implications if you are not a UK resident anymore? do i give them my French address or have the mail forwarded to France? basically, with your experience: what would you do with the money? ( not that much anyway!)

TV: I have a good Tv here and would like to know if it is worth bringing it to france with the different SECAM system? willl it work? with the satellite or cable, will it work? is it a waste of my time and money to even bother, and should i recycle it now??
many more questions to come yet>>>!!!
thank you so much.
0netwo.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:48 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: money matters and TV matters?

Originally Posted by onetwo
bonjour everyone and bonne fete to the mums.
we are now almost sorted to arrive in Brittany mid july: ( took a while and a lot of stress to sell this house here!) and i would love your opinions, advice on a few things.
Money: I intend to leave money on my account in the Uk for a while until we find a house to buy- renting cheaply first!-and hopefully until the sterling fights back vs Euro. what are the legal/tax implications if you are not a UK resident anymore? do i give them my French address or have the mail forwarded to France? basically, with your experience: what would you do with the money? ( not that much anyway!)

TV: I have a good Tv here and would like to know if it is worth bringing it to france with the different SECAM system? willl it work? with the satellite or cable, will it work? is it a waste of my time and money to even bother, and should i recycle it now??
many more questions to come yet>>>!!!
thank you so much.
0netwo.

Good luck with your impending move. We came here 2 years back and left our capital in the UK. What a mistake! Every 6 months or so we have a pain in the butt transfering it and we have lost thousands as the pound's value has dropped against the Euro. IMO the Euro will continue to grow, so if I were you I'd get it over here. One day the pound will recover but I reckon not for about 2 years, and by then, who knows where the Euro will be?! As regards to the british banks, we gave them our new french address and it was very simple.

TV - a thread here may help you - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536105

Basically if you have a new tv bring it, old tv, leave behind! Not sure about the cable stuff, we brought our old sky box, but have never used it, we watch french tv and a DVD every night.

Hopefully you'll get some more replies with different opinions and advice, you just have to work out what's going to suit you and your family. Good luck in July, and start packing now - you'll need all the time you can to sort out what to do with stuff you're leaving behind and start to pack everything non-essential right now!

Where in Brittany are you going?