Reload this Page >

minor medical issue

minor medical issue

Old Jan 5th 2020, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default minor medical issue

Hi All,
I have a fine, but deeply imbedded metal splinter in my finger just over a knuckle and wonder what is the perceived wisdom for getting it seen to here in France. As a maker all my life I have dug out more wood and metal splinters from my hands than I care to remember, but I suspect this one is too fine and too far in for me to get to without making a bit of a mess. Do I go down the usual route with a doctor's visit and get a referral? Is there a simpler alternative for minor ailments? I'm trying to be sensible for once in my life.
Thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: minor medical issue

A doctor's visit then a referral would work but it would be probably be a week+ before you'd be seen to.
If it were me, and the 'injury' was interfering with my daily tasks, I'd drive along to the emergency dpt of your local hospital. You'd then almost certainly be seen to same day, although probably with a wait of several hours. I did just this some years ago when one morning woke up with a painful eye and a 'floater'. I was seen too almost immediately at the emergency centre of Toulouse Purpan hospital. I had no Carte Vitale either at the time, and from memory no questions were asked and no payment required. Excellent service!
Pls report back on how you make out either way.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 5th 2020 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

You can always go straight to Urgences. It sounds like the kind of thing that people do go to Urgences with. I don't actually know the protocol but urgence doesn't necessarily seem to mean life or death, it seems to include things like twists and sprains and bad cuts and probably splinters..
Do you have a convenient clinic or hospital with a walk-in "Urgences" department?
EDIT - sorry Tweedie, posts crossed and you pipped me! But being great minds, we basically seem to have thunk alike.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jan 5th 2020 at 6:56 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
You can always go straight to Urgences. It sounds like the kind of thing that people do go to Urgences with. I don't actually know the protocol but urgence doesn't necessarily seem to mean life or death, it seems to include things like twists and sprains and bad cuts and probably splinters..
Do you have a convenient clinic or hospital with a walk-in "Urgences" department?
EDIT - sorry Tweedie, posts crossed and you pipped me! But being great minds, we basically seem to have thunk alike.
As Del-Boy Trotter would say, "Mais oui, mais oui, bonnet de douche!"
Old Jan 5th 2020, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

Thanks both, I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alianco
You may consider it to be 'un accident du travail', and make an insurance claim........
Old Jan 5th 2020, 7:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with ET and tp, you don't want it to get infected. The Urgences might ask whether your tétanos vaccination is up-to-date, and give you a shot if not....
Old Jan 6th 2020, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

The urgance dept. in the local hospital was definitely the place to go. They certainly didn't think I was wasting time. 3 hours after arriving I had been registered, seen, x-rayed, given a tetanus shot, prescriptions and an appointment for 2 days time to have the splinter cut out. Like all of my experiences so far in france, everything is a bit confusing, often slow, but it all works.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, glad you got it sorted.
Good luck with getting it "cut out" - I wish you'd said "removed" though, I have a very vivid imagination...
Old Jan 10th 2020, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

For those mildly interested in the saga, it turned out that wednesday's visit was just a consultation with the surgeon. Today I got there at 12 for the op. Signed in and then taken to a changing room. I started to protest that undressing and wearing full paper clothes was a bit over the top for a splinter when she explained it was to stop me taking germs into the operating theatre, for god's sake. I crumbled and put on paper pants, trousers, jacket, shoes and overshoes and followed her to a waiting room where I eventually fell asleep. Then to another waiting room where a paper hat was put on me even though I am practically bald and shave my head. Then I was processed again and taken into a full operating theatre with 4 people wandering around. I was laid out on a table and a mask was placed over my face. My arm was painted with sticky brown antiseptic up to my elbow. Then we waited for the surgeon. Not sure if a fell asleep again, but waited a long time when finally the surgeon arrived, painted my arm again with the brown goop and cut out the splinter. A few minutes rest then sent to change back into my own clothes with my arm still covered in sticky brown stuff. I came home with a prescription for pain killers and bandages to change mine every 3 days for 15 days and then an appointment on the 28th to have the stitches out.
Blimey. I can admire the thoroughness, but it seems like the use of masses of resources for a splinter.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Turns out my imagination wasn't nearly vivid enough - I never thought of paper suits and brown goop. Sounds like a really fun experience and I bet you can't wait to go back for more on the 15th.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

.........I crumbled and put on paper pants, trousers, jacket, shoes and overshoes.......etc.
Photos please, or it never happened.......
I'm amazed that they didn't give you suppositories as well, they usually do. My favourites are the ones which taste of aniseed or prunes.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

I also got a prescription for a carrier bag full of industrial strength paracetamol and bandages and a letter saying a nurse will come to my home 3 times a week for 15 days to change the dressing. Really?
Old Jan 11th 2020, 6:46 am
Account Closed

I don't know if anyone can answer this, but I have no idea if I am supposed to arrange the nurse visiting me at home 3 times a week to change the dressing or the hospital will. And if it's down to me to arrange it, where do I ask? Has anyone has experience of this type of thing or is it specific to each hospital? Quite frankly I'd be happy to do it myself, I just don't know if I am already in some sort of system.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Pleased to hear you're on the mend. It's true, generally they don't mess about, healthcare is taken very seriously. There have been many legal cases brought against hospitals after infections set in following treatment etc.
No, you have to arrange the visits from an infirmiere a domicile yourself (soins a domicile). Go along to your mairie and ask for a list, then contact the person of your choice - could be a man or a woman. The hospital should have given you some paperwork to say you're entitled to this, so keep it safe as you can then claim for the home visits too, if you have a Carte Vitale or private insurance.
Just for info: the 'brown goop' is a Betadine related product (povidone-iodine) which as you guessed is an antiseptic that provides infection protection.
Your photo merits a 'like'. In fact 2 likes if we could have seen the bald head......

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 11th 2020 at 7:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.