Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

From the Midlands to Toulouse

From the Midlands to Toulouse

Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

mum2TOAD has a spectacular aura aboutmum2TOAD has a spectacular aura aboutmum2TOAD has a spectacular aura about
Default From the Midlands to Toulouse

Hi all!

Just posted in the general Welcome bit but have now seen this and thought I'd post here as well!!

We've just moved from the Midlands (UK) to the west of Toulouse (Tournefeuille) as my other half is working at Airbus for the next 2 years.

We're a family of 6, eldest 3 will be at school come the 1st September. I'm hoping to meet up with some local UK mums for a natter and for the kids to play, especially those who like me would like to improve their french but need a little practice!

Look forward to any replies

Helen
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From the Midlands to Toulouse

I am close -ish to Toulouse but my kids are older than yours; where will yours be at school? Which Airbus project is he on?
I am sure you will rapidly meet other mums here on site; there is no shortage of us!
Take care
Old Aug 26th 2011, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

mum2TOAD has a spectacular aura aboutmum2TOAD has a spectacular aura aboutmum2TOAD has a spectacular aura about

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. He's System Verification on the XWB / Trent engine working for Rolls Royce. He used to be AEC (The Rolls Royce Goodrich joint venture until we moved so we know a lot of people from Birmingham/Bristol as well).

I know a few people he's working with which is good and we've friends in Toulouse city itself who've been here a couple of years which is a godsend :-)

Looking forward to the school run next week (All 3 are at the IST near Colomiers; 1 in Kindergarten, 1 in primary and 1 in secondary!!) hopefully they're a friendly bunch.

Best Helen
Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

hi there

the IST is very friendly! You should make lots of friends: Sounds an interesting job that your hubby has got!

Good luck with the school run and everything!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 4:51 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mum2TOAD
Hi all!

Just posted in the general Welcome bit but have now seen this and thought I'd post here as well!!

We've just moved from the Midlands (UK) to the west of Toulouse (Tournefeuille) as my other half is working at Airbus for the next 2 years.

We're a family of 6, eldest 3 will be at school come the 1st September. I'm hoping to meet up with some local UK mums for a natter and for the kids to play, especially those who like me would like to improve their french but need a little practice!

Helen
Welcome to the forum, A bit further down the road in the neighbouring department. But visit the city once every couple of weeks.

If you get any issues give us a shout.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

lizzyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Helen

We moved here a week ago from Kent. Living in Pibrac with hubby, 8 yr old and 6 yr old. We aren't Airbus, hubby will be working for Pharma company in South Toulouse. Kids going to Paul Bert school next week (phew!) and I will then be home alone and know NO ONE !! My French needs a lot of work, in fact I'm trying to source some lessons at the moment. The shame of it is that my hubby is French so I have no excuse!
Lizzy
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lizzyd
Hi Helen

We moved here a week ago from Kent. Living in Pibrac with hubby, 8 yr old and 6 yr old. We aren't Airbus, hubby will be working for Pharma company in South Toulouse. Kids going to Paul Bert school next week (phew!) and I will then be home alone and know NO ONE !! My French needs a lot of work, in fact I'm trying to source some lessons at the moment. The shame of it is that my hubby is French so I have no excuse!
Lizzy
Hi Lizzy

If you fancy a cuppa please give me a shout! We're getting some lessons through Airbus aparantly but I think I need more. If you find somewhere local I'd be happy to come with you :-)

Helen
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:52 am
Just Joined

lizzyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Helen

Thanks for the offer and I think I'll take you up on that once I've got next week out of the way! Paul Bert school is pretty near you.

Our local social services centre offers 2 hours per week but I deffo need more!.

Lizzy
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Kids going to Paul Bert school next week (phew!) and I will then be home alone and know NO ONE !! Lizzy
Hi, you'll soon be making friends with all the other Mamans at the school gates and when your children start getting invited to birthday parties, also before and after Wednesday afternoon activities!
Your Mairie will have a list of all the local Associations that you can join, so that you can make friends with like-minded people, too!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Helen

My French needs a lot of work, in fact I'm trying to source some lessons at the moment.
Lizzy
Try Alliance Francais in the centre of Toulouse; on the main square - I found them good!
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

booboo76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mum2TOAD
Hi all!

Helen
Hi Helen

Saw that you've recently moved to Toulouse from the Midlands. I too am hoping to move over early next year as my husband works for EADS and is already there Monday to Friday. We are moving from East Midlands and have two children ages 12 and 8. Very apprehensive about schools, meeting people and finding the right location to live. I'm coming over in November, so any tips would be great.

Hope to hear from you.

Sharon
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Hello Sharon

We've been here now since August and in just this short time I already think this place feels more like home than the UK ever did. We all love it.

I'm afraid I might not be any help on french schools (have heard Victor Hugo in Colomiers is good and seems to have quite a few English there) all ours are at the International school in Colomiers (which so far is proving to be good) but I've driven around lots of the surrounding villages to Airbus (Blagnac) and for what it's worth this is what I think!

Colomiers: Lovely town, very busy centre with everything you could need. Easy commute to the airport especially if you cycle!

Cornebarrieu: Good shops, bit quieter than Colomiers

Brax / Leguevin / Levignac: Very rural, beautiful countryside, very 'french'! Bit of a drive though for work and if you like towns could be a bit isolated. Lovely big forest there.

Tournefeuille: Bustling town with quiet leafy suburbs, lots to do (Good if you like outdoor pursuits). Plaisance de Touch is nice too but a bit further out.

Pibrac: They don't call it 'Petit Angleterre' for nothing. English pub, English Hairdresser, English speaking Dentist, Chemist, Optician etc but never-the-less a nice town.

Seilh: Wow. Think Desperate Housewives meets Grand Designs! No shops though and a bit far away from everything.

We've quite a few friends in the city and from what they have told us the West is the better place to be for commuting to near the airport, the ring road can be interesting at the best of times, but as cities go it is beautiful, lots of greenery and the Canal du Midi is lovely. Of all the places in the world we've been Toulouse felt very safe.

I've found people here very welcoming, it's very laid back, no-one rushes anything which is nice. The weather has been amazing so far

Have waffled, hope that helped in a small way

best Helen x
Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi Helen

Thanks so much for the info, and it's lovely to know that you and your family have settled so quickly.

I came over for a week in the summer with the children and stayed with friends in Escalquens, which is South East, and not great for commuting, but rural and pretty. I agree with you about the city too, it was lovely and felt very safe.

My husband is working for EADS and if funds will allow I would prefer the children to go to IST, so living west of Toulouse would be better for us.

We are a very active outdoor family, and currently live in a rural Leicestershire village, so moving to the city suburbs is not really for us. I will take a look at the places you've kindly recommended.

How old are your children? Have they picked up any of the language yet? I would love for my children to speak more French and part of me thinks that putting them in a French school would be the best way to learn, but being 8 and 12 and not speaking much more than a few french words to get by, that seems a bit harsh.

After your message I'm actually quiet excited about the move, I just hope it happens soon, my husbands company seem to being taking a long time to sort out even the smallest thing!!

Thanks again

Sharon x
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi

We were from Burton on Trent so not too far from Leicestershire

I wouldn't pick International School if you want your children to learn good french. The french language lessons and support are good - don't get me wrong - but English is spoken everywhere and french is a very secondary thing.

Mine (11 & 7) have learnt 10x more from clubs they're in (Horse riding & Karate), and the local kids at the Park/Skate Park!!

We've friends who've put their children in french school and they're thriving there. It's horrible from a mums point of view to have to leave them somewhere they don't know the language but I think they'd be fluent so much quicker and intergrate easier too. Tough decision that one!

We're on a temporary contract for up to five years so we went with the International School as we'll have to eventually go home (boo!) otherwise I'd have gone for french state school from the word go.

Be interested to see what you think once you've been over. We'll save you some sun

Helen x
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Helen

Burton-on-Trent is not far at all, I'm always going through it enroute to the snowdome in Tamworth.

We will probably only be there for 2 - 3 years, so IST will probably be best, and like you, we'll have to make sure the children socialize with French kids when possible. I will look at french schools when I come over, but looks unlikely. I'm just hoping that work will help with the school fees!

I want to come NOW...I've just called my husband who stays in Toulouse during the week, and told him to try and hurry things up.

Speak soon

Sharon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.