Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Midi Pyrenees/Languedoc in winter

Midi Pyrenees/Languedoc in winter

Old Feb 16th 2015, 1:13 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Midi Pyrenees/Languedoc in winter

I've been on here a couple of times asking for advice so I'm sorry if its an old record. Basically I am looking at somewhere in the Languedoc or Midi Pyrenees region to buy with the intention of spending winter there myself and if possible (not compulsory) renting it out during summer months when I live elsewhere. I am looking for somewhere fairly rural, with a bit of land and in structurally decent nick with 3+ beds for around 100k English pounds.

I would really like some advice on the areas I mentioned. Are they dead in winter or would it be a nice place to live? I like cafes, country walks, cycling etc

I'm planning to visit in the next few days as I'm currently visiting UK family.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 4:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midi Pyrenees/Languedoc in winter

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I've been on here a couple of times asking for advice so I'm sorry if its an old record. Basically I am looking at somewhere in the Languedoc or Midi Pyrenees region to buy with the intention of spending winter there myself and if possible (not compulsory) renting it out during summer months when I live elsewhere. I am looking for somewhere fairly rural, with a bit of land and in structurally decent nick with 3+ beds for around 100k English pounds.

I would really like some advice on the areas I mentioned. Are they dead in winter or would it be a nice place to live? I like cafes, country walks, cycling etc

I'm planning to visit in the next few days as I'm currently visiting UK family.
Hi, I live in North Hérault (rural and hilly) where it's dead in winter, except for the various indoor activities run by the villages. Even in areas nearer the coast the winters can be perishing cold with the Tramontane adding to the chill factor, and nowadays there's always at least one spell of snow. From the weather standpoint, I wouldn't recommend the Hérault for a winter retreat unless you lived in a large town near the sea!
There's not much of a café culture here in the Hinterland, but, on the other hand, the scenery is beautiful, with plenty of walks.
Good luck with your search!
Old Feb 16th 2015, 4:16 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I live in North Hérault (rural and hilly) where it's dead in winter, except for the various indoor activities run by the villages. Even in areas nearer the coast the winters can be perishing cold with the Tramontane adding to the chill factor, and nowadays there's always at least one spell of snow. From the weather standpoint, I wouldn't recommend the Hérault for a winter retreat unless you lived in a large town near the sea!
There's not much of a café culture here in the Hinterland, but, on the other hand, the scenery is beautiful, with plenty of walks.
Good luck with your search!
Would you say Beziers and Perpignan would be equally as quiet?
Old Feb 16th 2015, 4:32 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Would you say Beziers and Perpignan would be equally as quiet?
No, a big town would be just as dynamic in the winter as in the summer, but you wouldn't find a 3-bedroomed house with a bit of land for the price you mention.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You certainly want a change of scenery after living on a yacht in Fiji.
Are you intending coming on your own or with an OH?
Keeping your stays to under 6 months will save any problems regarding having to complete a French tax return.
Good luck with your visit.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by cyrian
You certainly want a change of scenery after living on a yacht in Fiji.
Are you intending coming on your own or with an OH?
Keeping your stays to under 6 months will save any problems regarding having to complete a French tax return.
Good luck with your visit.
Yes. I would be spending less than 183 days in France per year. I've worked through the buying costs, taxes etc. my only issue is the area in which to buy. Don't care about the coast as the other half of my time is on the ocean. Near a national park would be nice and I would like a bit of a mess to fix up as the OH is a good handyman and we could design something cool.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 7:40 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Near a national park would be nice and I would like a bit of a mess to fix up as the OH is a good handyman and we could design something cool.
Hi, "fixing up" and "design something cool" should be carefully considered, as you'd need planning permission from the Mairie if you wish to alter the outside appearance of an existing building, install an inside bathroom, etc...
There are plenty of empty houses in the villages surrounding the Parc Naturel du Haut-Languedoc (North Hérault), but the problem would be the winter weather and every one virtually hibernating.
If no one in the Midi-Pyrénées responds here, you may get ideas from a dedicated regional forum, of the AngloInfo ilk.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 11:47 am

Just booked a flight to Toulouse to have a look in the vicinity. 20 mile radius of a city should mean there is still stuff to do in winter?
Old Feb 18th 2015, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

20 mile radius of a city should mean there is still stuff to do in winter?
I like cafes, country walks, cycling etc
Well the country walks and cycling will still be there, unless there's too much snow to get out. Cafés open, 20km out of town, in the middle of winter when there's no tourists - less likely.
I'm puzzled what kind of 'stuff to do' you're hoping for. Have you ever lived 'rural'? You don't tend to find many cinemas/art galleries/nightclubs/shopping malls/people living cheek by jowl in the countryside... cos if it had those kind of things it would be a built up area, it wouldn't be 'rural' any more.
I think a visit is exactly what's needed, to clarify your plans.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Well the country walks and cycling will still be there, unless there's too much snow to get out. Cafés open, 20km out of town, in the middle of winter when there's no tourists - less likely.
I'm puzzled what kind of 'stuff to do' you're hoping for. Have you ever lived 'rural'? You don't tend to find many cinemas/art galleries/nightclubs/shopping malls/people living cheek by jowl in the countryside... cos if it had those kind of things it would be a built up area, it wouldn't be 'rural' any more.
I think a visit is exactly what's needed, to clarify your plans.
I haven't lived in a city for many years. I've spent the last 7 living on a yacht in the Pacific and around Australia. I'm not very interested in cinemas, galleries etc but I do like access to a few restaurants and bars and decent wifi - even if that means a drive. I am thinking of growing vegetables, walking, running, cycling and living somewhere cheap to get to my aging folks in Scotland.

Is it possible to get 3-6 month tenants in summer months do you think? Would it be safe to leave a house empty that long?

I'm exploring Toulouse next week. I have to make a bit of a snap decision though as I live so far away and I appreciate everyone's thoughts.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't lived in a city for many years. I've spent the last 7 living on a yacht in the Pacific and around Australia. I'm not very interested in cinemas, galleries etc but I do like access to a few restaurants and bars and decent wifi - even if that means a drive. I am thinking of growing vegetables, walking, running, cycling and living somewhere cheap to get to my aging folks in Scotland.

Is it possible to get 3-6 month tenants in summer months do you think? Would it be safe to leave a house empty that long?

I'm exploring Toulouse next week. I have to make a bit of a snap decision though as I live so far away and I appreciate everyone's thoughts.
Carcassonne has a direct flight to Glasgow and there are direct flights to Edinburgh from Beziers; Bordeaux; Marseille and Poitiers with Ryanair - perhaps not 12 months a year. Easyjet have direct flights from Paris CDG to both Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:57 am

My reconnaissance trip went very well. Explored the area based in a very rainy Toulouse and have pinpointed Foix as perfect for what I am looking for. It's stunning and there are quite a few farm houses with buildings with land to renovate in a 20 mile radius or so. I realise it should have plans in place already due to planning permission but are there any other pitfalls anyone can see? Very importantly - what will the wifi connection be like!? That's pretty critical for me

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Feb 27th 2015 at 8:09 am.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:10 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Should be easy to buy something in Foix (impossible to ever sell it again, however)
Old Feb 27th 2015, 9:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My reconnaissance trip went very well. Explored the area based in a very rainy Toulouse and have pinpointed Foix as perfect for what I am looking for. It's stunning and there are quite a few farm houses with buildings with land to renovate in a 20 mile radius or so. I realise it should have plans in place already due to planning permission but are there any other pitfalls anyone can see? Very importantly - what will the wifi connection be like!? That's pretty critical for me
Hi, the only free Wifi in our rural area is in McDo's 6 km away. Visitors enter our LiveBox code in order to access internet on their laptops, etc....
One of our members used to live in the Ariège and can give "local" advice.
Maybe you should post again re short-term internet connections in rural France, as techies (including that member) won't necessarily be reading this thread....
One servitude that Notaires don't mention is the "ancient right of way" of hunters and, as you're only there in the winter, you'll have to be prepared for their invasion at least 3 times a week.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:35 pm

'Impossible to sell again' means there's a good chance i can get a big discount on the asking price? What % do you think I could have a chance of knocking the price down by? What sort of time scale does it take to buy a place in people's experiences?

Don't mind paying for a full time internet service if necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.