Medical insurance for English student resident in Paris

Wikiposts

Medical insurance for English student resident in Paris

Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

gradstudentparis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical insurance for English student resident in Paris

Hello

I'm wondering if anybody might be able to offer some advice about medical insurance in France.

I am 27, English, and living in Paris. I moved here quite recently, initially to go to language school for a few weeks. I then decided to stay indefinitely and have since started a PhD in French studies at an English university. I live in Paris permanently and occasionally travel to the UK for university meetings. The university has no ties to any french institution and I don't work or pay tax in France.

From what I understand this means that I'm not eligible for any sort of cover from the state and need to sort out private medical insurance. From what I can work out, if I were an English student who had moved to France temporarily for my studies then I would be covered back home but I'm not sure this applies since technically I was already living in France when I started my PhD.

I still use my parents' address in England for my bank accounts etc and am also still registered with a doctor there, but since moving to Paris have found a GP here.

Is anyone able to tell me if I need private medical insurance?

If I do need private medical insurance is anyone able to offer any advice in that area? And am I right in thinking I should get insurance via a French company and does anyone know if I could get some sort of reduced student insurance?

I'm concerned I'm not presently covered and would love to sort this out asap!

Thanks very much for any help.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:02 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical insurance for English student resident in Paris

Originally Posted by gradstudentparis
Hello

I'm wondering if anybody might be able to offer some advice about medical insurance in France.

I am 27, English, and living in Paris. I moved here quite recently, initially to go to language school for a few weeks. I then decided to stay indefinitely and have since started a PhD in French studies at an English university. I live in Paris permanently and occasionally travel to the UK for university meetings. The university has no ties to any french institution and I don't work or pay tax in France.

From what I understand this means that I'm not eligible for any sort of cover from the state and need to sort out private medical insurance. From what I can work out, if I were an English student who had moved to France temporarily for my studies then I would be covered back home but I'm not sure this applies since technically I was already living in France when I started my PhD.

I still use my parents' address in England for my bank accounts etc and am also still registered with a doctor there, but since moving to Paris have found a GP here.

Is anyone able to tell me if I need private medical insurance?

If I do need private medical insurance is anyone able to offer any advice in that area? And am I right in thinking I should get insurance via a French company and does anyone know if I could get some sort of reduced student insurance?

I'm concerned I'm not presently covered and would love to sort this out asap!

Thanks very much for any help.
Welcome to the Forum, Whilst I cant help with you Questions someone here will be able to. Should you get any issues give me a shout.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

danielle1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I suggest that you get in touch with the Service des Relations Internationales of the French Social Security which is located at Versailles. They were immensely helpful to us and have some English speaking staff to explain the more complex issues if required. Mme. Valmorin is particularly good. Try to get in touch with them by phone but they will probably insist that you visit - it should be worth it as you may be entitled to more than you think. We found that they were able to give much better advice than our local CPAM who had limited understanding of immigrant matters and tended to fob us off.

Good luck!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:48 am
Just Joined

gradstudentparis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much - I'll definitely get in touch with them (sorry for such a slow response but I've only just seen your reply!).