British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Masons (not Stone) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/masons-not-stone-935875/)

garybuilder1 Nov 27th 2020 1:35 pm

Masons (not Stone)

Hi All.

Just wondering are their any Lodges or Masons in Charente (16) Vienne (86) Deux-Sévres (79) and Dordogne (24) area.

Reason to ask is, I am looking at buying in these areas and I am a Mason (UK) and thought it nice to see if any Masons were in these areas.

Thanks in advance.(hope this is ok admin)

Gary.

scot47 Nov 27th 2020 1:52 pm

Re: Masons (not Stone)

Grande Loge de France - WikiMili, The Best Wikipedia Reader

Is that helpful ?

Or this ?

Freemasonry in France - Wikipedia

dmu Nov 28th 2020 9:59 am

Originally Posted by garybuilder1 (Post 12940311)
Hi All.

Just wondering are their any Lodges or Masons in Charente (16) Vienne (86) Deux-Sévres (79) and Dordogne (24) area.

Reason to ask is, I am looking at buying in these areas and I am a Mason (UK) and thought it nice to see if any Masons were in these areas.

Thanks in advance.(hope this is ok admin)

Gary.

Hi, and welcome to the France forum!
I can't advise more than suggest the links that Scot47 has given, but from your other thread, we'll need to know more details of yourself before advising on your plan to move to France.
As from 1st January 2021, Brexit will have turned Britons into non-EU citizens who will need to comply with stricter conditions for living in France. The principal factor being employment. Will you be intending to work, and under what status? (From your user name, are you a builder?) Will you be retired and receiving a UK State Pension? Will you be pre-retired and "inactive", living off savings? Your "status" should be researched carefully before you take the plunge....
Does "I" also include a family? If you have children, you should research schooling if they don't speak French, esp. if they are in secondary education. If you have a "partner" without being legally bound, you should research the French Succession/Inheritance Laws, since you're intending to purchase property.
Take a look in pertinent threads in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above. They aren't all completely up-to-date and maybe won't be valid after 31st December 2020, but will give an idea of the issues at present.
Meanwhile we're all here to help and give advice where we can!:)

garybuilder1 Nov 30th 2020 12:53 pm

Thanks for that......I was aware of that way but just trying to connect with individuals first before I contact HQ:thumbup:

garybuilder1 Nov 30th 2020 1:00 pm

Hi.
Thanks for the email.
Yes I understand Brexit issue will be a future problem.
I have sold my house UK so am a cash buyer and will buy within my budget so no mortgage.
Yes I am retired from Building and have no interest in starting up in France.
I am re training to keep busy in the line of CCTV cameras and also Pest Control.
I have savings and own a commercial property in the UK that gives me £40.000 per Year, so I am in my eyes self supporting.
I am looking to get out of the rat race and join a slower pace of life and as you say I will do my homework first and reserch as best I can, Hence the question of Masonry.....I am one UK and it has been great to meet people and the network has worked well.
Thank you.

dmu Nov 30th 2020 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by garybuilder1 (Post 12941295)
Hi.
Thanks for the email.
Yes I understand Brexit issue will be a future problem.
I have sold my house UK so am a cash buyer and will buy within my budget so no mortgage.
Yes I am retired from Building and have no interest in starting up in France.
I am re training to keep busy in the line of CCTV cameras and also Pest Control.
I have savings and own a commercial property in the UK that gives me £40.000 per Year, so I am in my eyes self supporting.
I am looking to get out of the rat race and join a slower pace of life and as you say I will do my homework first and reserch as best I can, Hence the question of Masonry.....I am one UK and it has been great to meet people and the network has worked well.
Thank you.

No, it was a post!;)
You'll have to wait for official info regarding your future "inactive" status after 1st January 2021 (i.e. not working nor receiving a UK State Pension). At the present time, your regular rental income would be sufficient to comply with the financial conditions, but who knows what the conditions for a Visa after 1st January will be? It's likely the present healthcare insurance condition won't change, and you'd have to have private healthcare coverage from the day you arrive until you've been accepted into the French S.S. System.
How is your French? If it isn't up to scratch, you might be lucky enough to find Masons in the areas where you're interested in settling, who speak English.
I believe this is the first time there's been such an enquiry on the forum, which may explain why there hasn't been much response so far....
Meanwhile, wait until the New Year for official info on all administrative/legal aspects on your prospective move.
HTH