Making Friends

Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:48 am
Just Joined

arubus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making Friends

Hi

My family and myself will be moving to a small town in the Creuse area of Limousin - hopefully in June (if the agent and notaire pull their fingers out!). My 18 year old son, who doesn't speak french very well and who is a home study student - taking A' levels will be moving with us.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how he can make some new friends? Does anyone know of any clubs or meeting points for teenagers?

He likes mosts sports, including badminton, online computer games, reading and the odd pint (but not a huge drinker by any means - unlike his mum ).

He was recommended to the teen expat site... but finds it rather quiet there and also as the site isn't dedicated to france the peeps there are spread out all over the Globe.

Any ideas would be welcome

Arubus - aka mum
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:58 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Friends

Hi, and welcome. Our eldest was 18 when we first came to France, and out of the three kids, it was hardest for him. The only friends he made were with other English youths as school wasn't an option for him as it was for the other two. He now works as a chef in the Channel Islands and is happy. France, especially rural France isn't the place to make lots of friends at that age, especially if he doesn't speak the language. But, if he likes sports, then get down to your local salle des sports to see what's going on? If he's into computers, there's usually a cyberpoint to be found. Our small commune has one. There's also usually a salle des jeunes - sort of a youth club, and there may well be youths his age (possibly English too) that go there? All a bit daunting, I know, but hang in there as the French are very welcoming (mostly), and hopefully your lad won't be lonely for long.

Bonne chance!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

try the local tourist information website for details of events in the local towns and villages - there should be a wide range of summer events from rugby dances to local walks and tournaments/

Getting about is a problem in rural areas. In correze (another part of the Limousin region), there is a dial a bus scheme for one euro - which is available to all householders
Old May 1st 2009, 8:35 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
try the local tourist information website for details of events in the local towns and villages - there should be a wide range of summer events from rugby dances to local walks and tournaments/

Getting about is a problem in rural areas. In correze (another part of the Limousin region), there is a dial a bus scheme for one euro - which is available to all householders
In Ariege people without cars in the countryside use a old scheme Hands and Thumb, Lots of Hairy Hitchhikers.
Old May 1st 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

If you can cope with the catholicism, the Scout guides de France are fun and offer outdoor activites for young adults of your sons age on a regular basis; we have found them very welcoming
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

arubus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips.

I can cope with Cathilocism being a very lapsed one myself... not sure about my teen though... think he might be going through his atheasist (may or may not have spelt that right) stage at the moment.... but definately worth a try
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

another advantage would be that he could use the web sites for UK scouts for ideas to use or even talk about. Try www.scoutbase.org.uk
Old May 4th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

ha!
my two both do scouts event though I consider myself nothing and they are uncertain: for us it is the community spirit they get not the religion!
Even as an athiest he should find it fun