Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Lots of cheap property - why?

Lots of cheap property - why?

Old Oct 7th 2013, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all
Default Re: Lots of cheap property - why?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
As far as I can discover there are only two such MOX production plants in France, one NW of Orange (30) the other north of Marseilles.

I'm not sure whether the Flamanville plant in Manche will be the third, but it's not open until at least 2016.

None of the above pours out lots of (or indeed any) plutonium into the atmosphere.

As you were.
http://basse-normandie.france3.fr/20...in-236005.html
Not very clear but it seems that the MOX was produced 40km away from Cherbourg
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caryatid
http://basse-normandie.france3.fr/20...in-236005.html
Not very clear but it seems that the MOX was produced 40km away from Cherbourg
Agreed, the article is a bit misleading, but the AREVA plant doesn't actually produce MOX, it separates uranium and plutonium from spent fuel rods. The recovered uranium is returned to its country of origin and the plutonium is shipped either to the same places or to one of the 2 French MOX production plants elsewhere in France. This is all a bit off topic but here's a link if you're interested in reading more...

http://www.areva.com/EN/operations-1...used-fuel.html
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Agreed, the article is a bit misleading, but the AREVA plant doesn't actually produce MOX, it separates uranium and plutonium from spent fuel rods. The recovered uranium is returned to its country of origin and the plutonium is shipped either to the same places or to one of the 2 French MOX production plants elsewhere in France. This is all a bit off topic but here's a link if you're interested in reading more...

http://www.areva.com/EN/operations-1...used-fuel.html
Well buying property is linked to the local environment. You want to try to keep your health and the value of your property. I remember seeing or reading something where soil or atmospheric tests had been done and there was a high level of plutonium found in an area (Normandy/Bretagne) around a nuclear installation. The French media is so controlled that this stuff gets out from time to time but then you never see it again.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well buying property is linked to the local environment. You want to try to keep your health and the value of your property. I remember seeing or reading something where soil or atmospheric tests had been done and there was a high level of plutonium found in an area (Normandy/Bretagne) around a nuclear installation. The French media is so controlled that this stuff gets out from time to time but then you never see it again.
Nonetheless, I think the Brittany property market has been characterized perfectly well already on this thread. I don't believe that a nuclear plant near Cherbourg has any influence on it, but you may choose to disagree.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes one's health and the value of their property do not go hand-in-hand.
With the increase in many French property prices over the years, some retired, zero tax rated, home owners (many very poor), have received huge tax demands due to the value of their property creeping into the ISF tax regime. In other words they have become virtual 'fortuned' folks without wanting to be, and faced with huge tax demands - money that that they simply don't have at their disposal. Many inhabitants of l'île de Ré spring to mind in recent years.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:30 pm
Banned

Nora77 is an unknown quantity at this point

is the cheap price applies to the properties on the south cost?

I dont think so, guess why...
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Sometimes one's health and the value of their property do not go hand-in-hand.
With the increase in many French property prices over the years, some retired, zero tax rated, home owners (many very poor), have received huge tax demands due to the value of their property creeping into the ISF tax regime. In other words they have become virtual 'fortuned' folks without wanting to be, and faced with huge tax demands - money that that they simply don't have at their disposal. Many inhabitants of l'île de Ré spring to mind in recent years.
Why would you think that these two factors were not exclusive...? Most people don't want to make a choice to live in an environment that poses important health risks. Loosing value on your investment is not usually sought after either. Highly taxed property owners is an old story. It was the subject of my first 'letter to the editor' when I was 9 years old! ( and that's a good while back).
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think that the only people who get aeriated about all this are the people who don't live in Normandy or Brittany. People who live there, some of whom have lived there there all their lives, know first hand that none of it intrudes on daily life, maybe it is a case of familiarity breeds contempt but it's just not something that you worry about. It is employment in an area where there aren't lots of jobs, it doesn't put the tourists off, and the region's population is not sick and dying. If the ditches in Cotentin were heaped with day-glo bodies, people would have noticed it by now and done something about it - but they're not.

Last summer (2012) there was a boating lake in Wales closed because of green algae, a month later it was open again and people were boating on it. It isn't only Brittany that has green algae and it isn't something that makes an area uninhabitable from now to eternity. I think we need to get these things into their proper perspective.

(now let's play devil's advocate) I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the THT lines yet, surely they're a lot worse risk to health
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

What are THT lines?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
What are THT lines?
http://www.stop-tht.org/

It's electricity pylons. OK so nobody particularly wants them IMBY but the fuss that was made by people who saw the £££s about to drop off of their property value (and I mean ££££ not €€€€, because apart from the anti-nuke brigade it was mostly second-home owners who got into a state about it) you would have thought the end of the world was nigh.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as I have the TGV being built only a mile away

and hear the incessant thrum of the local wind-farm about the same distance
(louder every year despite my advancing years)

At any rate an electricity pylon might have some use
Old Oct 9th 2013, 4:05 pm
Banned

Nora77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
What are THT lines?

dont you know
Old Oct 9th 2013, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nora77
dont you know
If I told you my given name was michaeleenoag...........
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I honestly think that the only people who get aeriated about all this are the people who don't live in Normandy or Brittany. People who live there, some of whom have lived there there all their lives, know first hand that none of it intrudes on daily life, maybe it is a case of familiarity breeds contempt but it's just not something that you worry about. It is employment in an area where there aren't lots of jobs, it doesn't put the tourists off, and the region's population is not sick and dying. If the ditches in Cotentin were heaped with day-glo bodies, people would have noticed it by now and done something about it - but they're not.

Last summer (2012) there was a boating lake in Wales closed because of green algae, a month later it was open again and people were boating on it. It isn't only Brittany that has green algae and it isn't something that makes an area uninhabitable from now to eternity. I think we need to get these things into their proper perspective.

(now let's play devil's advocate) I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the THT lines yet, surely they're a lot worse risk to health
Yes, lets gets things in their proper perspective and not discuss them, that way people remain ignorant.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, lets gets things in their proper perspective and not discuss them, that way people remain ignorant.
Who was it that once said, "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.