Reload this Page >

Lost/Stolen Passport, Urgent replacement needed

Lost/Stolen Passport, Urgent replacement needed

Old May 9th 2018, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

bicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost/Stolen Passport, Urgent replacement needed

Hi all
just wondered where the best place to get a replacement / emergency travel document ?
I see the online process is available but has anyone actually done this?

If you think the passport has been stolen, do you report it to the UK authorities or French?

THanks for any suggestions / assistance
Old May 9th 2018, 8:05 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost/Stolen Passport, Urgent replacement needed

Originally Posted by bicks
Hi all
just wondered where the best place to get a replacement / emergency travel document ?

If you think the passport has been stolen, do you report it to the UK authorities or French?

hi, sorry to hear of your predicament. I've never been in that situation, so can't help re the emergency travel document.
If it happened in France, you must report it to the Gendarmerie (or Commissariat if there is one in your town), whether it's lost or stolen.
Good luck!
Old May 9th 2018, 8:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Report it to the French authorities and then contact the British Embassy to get a replacement, they may not be able help directly but the should know who can, or just make an application for a new one by post, unless you have desperate need.
Old May 9th 2018, 10:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If the passport has actually been stolen opposed to lost, then you should report it to the police. Either way you should cancel it as soon as possible. Once cancelled, even if you find it again, you cannot use it.

https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport

If you have confirmed travelled plans within the next week then you can approach your local British consulate to apply for an Emergency Travel Document. If you are travelling later than it then you should apply for your new passport in the normal fashion.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document/

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old May 9th 2018, 12:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If the passport has actually been stolen opposed to lost, then you should report it to the police. Either way you should cancel it as soon as possible. Once cancelled, even if you find it again, you cannot use it.

https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport

If you have confirmed travelled plans within the next week then you can approach your local British consulate to apply for an Emergency Travel Document. If you are travelling later than it then you should apply for your new passport in the normal fashion.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document/

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
As confirmed in the first link, a lost passport could fall into the wrong hands and the holder's identity usurped. Therefore, either a lost or stolen passport should be reported to the Gendarmerie or Commissariat, and a new one acquired ASAP, esp. if it's your only ID in France, let alone needing one to travel.
Good to know that, once cancelled, it can't be used if it's found again.....
Old May 9th 2018, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Bad luck whatever the reason it is a pain it is a pain in the anatomy

Just a tip, Try to decide what is the most likely thing to have happened to it Grandpabunz "mislaid" his a way back and reported it to the local police they siad if he really was convinced it was lost rather than stolen he should hang on for a couple of days before applying for another. and gave him a chitty to say they were aware..
However he was not convinced and went on line to seek a replacement but in order to apply he had to pay upfront before he could download the forms.
" days later the local baker rang to say she had it and she had been waiting for the next time he came in. He hadn't filled it in and didn't but the fun started when he tried to get a refund, thinking that has they hadn't done anything it would be refunded. Not a bit of it ! Even after the intervention of an MP they absolutely refused. Talk about money for old rope!!
The moral of this story is take care of your passport!
Good luck
Old May 9th 2018, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Countryreverie is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a passport stolen in Teneriffe some years ago and travelled back to UK with a chit from the local police. Things may have got tighter now, of course, but worth a try.
Old May 10th 2018, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

If a UK citizen and travelling to UK so long as you can conclusively prove your ID you cannot be refused entry to the country.
Obviously it only applies to land/sea transport as without a passport it's highly unlikely that you'll be getting on an aeroplane, if it's Ryanair don't even waste your breath asking !!!!

TIP: Scan your passport and email it to yourself, having a copy with the number on it will ease things considerably. If you do nothing else at least keep a record of it's number and the issue/expiry dates.
Old May 10th 2018, 6:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
If a UK citizen and travelling to UK so long as you can conclusively prove your ID you cannot be refused entry to the country.
Obviously it only applies to land/sea transport as without a passport it's highly unlikely that you'll be getting on an aeroplane, if it's Ryanair don't even waste your breath asking !!!!

TIP: Scan your passport and email it to yourself, having a copy with the number on it will ease things considerably. If you do nothing else at least keep a record of it's number and the issue/expiry dates.
As a matter of interest, what other ID proof is conclusive for a UK citizen, apart from their passport? The French have Cartes d'Identité valid for travel within Europe, and only need passports for travel further afield. AFAIK, driving licences aren't valid as "conclusive" ID here.
Old May 10th 2018, 7:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what's with Ryanair. Brit husband and I had a holiday in Porto a couple of months ago, he traveled on his UK passport, me on my Australian one.
Checking in at Porto airport for our return to the UK, the Ryanair staff wouldn't accept my Aussie passport - they wanted to know where my UK visa was. Huh? Australians don't need a visa to travel to the UK and it's down to the UK immigration officers to permit or deny you entry.

Anyway, they wouldn't have it and sent me to another desk. I showed the person there my UK Biometric Residence Permit and was then allowed to check-in. I was told that if I hadn't had the BRP, I wouldn't have been permitted to board the flight.

Before I got my spouse visa and BRP a couple of years ago, I'd made many trips to the UK with side trips in and out of Europe with nothing more than an Australian passport. I was never asked, at an Australian or European airport, to produce a UK visa. No idea where this 'you have to show us your visa even if you don't need a visa' comes from.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 10th 2018 at 7:20 am.
Old May 10th 2018, 7:27 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Three years ago, when my passport was stolen in Italy, the consulate wanted a police report before cancelling my passport.
Old May 13th 2018, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Obviously it only applies to land/sea transport

If I just have a hard copy of my printed passport, (and my UK driving license) which I have, I can travel over (under with Eurostar) sea back to the UK from France, with just a printed version with a valid explanation?
Also travelling with my dogs and there passports.
Old May 13th 2018, 10:21 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If I just have a hard copy of my printed passport, (and my UK driving license) which I have, I can travel over (under with Eurostar) sea back to the UK from France, with just a printed version with a valid explanation?
Hi, You mean that you do have a printed copy of your lost/stolen passport? This will be a help when applying for a new passport and reporting to the Gendarmerie/Commissariat. The "valid explanation" would be their official report. Whether or not you'd be allowed to leave France with such papers is another matter.
If you intended to take Eurostar, be aware that pets aren't allowed on board, nor can foot passengers take dogs on ferries. You'd need to go by car...
If you've got dogs in tow, then you really must make 100% sure of your valid travel documents before you start off, and not only yours. (I'm thinking of the French vet's worming certificates within the time limit before departure from the port).
HTH
Old May 13th 2018, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, You mean that you do have a printed copy of your lost/stolen passport? This will be a help when applying for a new passport and reporting to the Gendarmerie/Commissariat. The "valid explanation" would be their official report. Whether or not you'd be allowed to leave France with such papers is another matter.
If you intended to take Eurostar, be aware that pets aren't allowed on board, nor can foot passengers take dogs on ferries. You'd need to go by car...
If you've got dogs in tow, then you really must make 100% sure of your valid travel documents before you start off, and not only yours. (I'm thinking of the French vet's worming certificates within the time limit before departure from the port).
HTH

>>You mean that you do have a printed copy of your lost/stolen passport?
Yes

And yes I would be driving to the UK with them.
Old May 13th 2018, 12:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

>>You mean that you do have a printed copy of your lost/stolen passport?
Yes

And yes I would be driving to the UK with them.
Eurotunnel will not let you board without a valid passport. You'll need to obtain a replacement before you travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.