Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Lost in Perpignan

Lost in Perpignan

Old Mar 13th 2016, 3:53 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost in Perpignan

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Added.
Thanks for that (and I managed to open it this time!)
Old Mar 13th 2016, 4:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Becky, I'm just about to send you a private message with my friend's details. She would love to meet you.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 2:46 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Becky did you get the message?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Hello again,

I did go and have a look at the "Puma thing", & looks like Becky can get her own cover on the basis of being resident in France, even unemployed. Here's the link (sorry I can't find an English version):
Le portail du service public de la Sécurité sociale / La mise en place de la Protection� (...)
That's a very useful link Shirtback. amazingly some of the info is also available in English. See Le portail du service public de la Sécurité sociale / Information.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Wakefield - Leeds - Huddersfield - Halifax - I kind of seeped along the M62 corridor and then escaped altogether
I spent seven or eight years in Halifax then escaped to Wales. Hendaye is much like West Wales except with palm trees and bigger mountains!

Last edited by TextualHealing; Mar 22nd 2016 at 5:06 pm. Reason: Typos
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
On the other hand, if your name isn't on the Rental, you've got no official justification of domicile for all the various Administrations that you'll encounter....
Dmu thats not quite true. You just need a letter from the owner saying you are living there. This needs to be accompanied with a copy of her ID (colour and recto-verso) and a recent utility bill - (not a a mobile phone bill). That worked for me for opening a bank and mobile phone account. This is the fourth time I've moved country and every time it's a headache. Free movement of EU citizens my arse !
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Meanwhile, get your bf to accompany you to the Mairie for the list of Clubs and Associations! .
Or visit their website and get him to help you find the associations / groups you might like to join. I found several on my Marie's website and managed to join a couple within a few weeks.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by becky2701

Also i'm needing to re insure my car fairly soon, would i need to change something on my English car? i.e number plates, lights etc

Bonne journee!
Becky if you have a postal address (family?) you can use in the UK just transfer your DVL and insurance policy there. The DVL is important in case you get speeding/parking tickets! The key thing is to ensure the MOT stays valid. Without that no insurance! You should have already adjusted your headlights. In my opinion unless you're very attached your car its probably too much hassle to re-register it here. I did it between NL/B and it was a nightmare. And that was without the problem a right hand drive. If I were in your shoes I would wait till the next MOT take it back to UK and sell it (or scrap it afterwards). Then buy a French car. Much easier. If you do need to re-register I can help you through the process (in principle) having done it in Belgium three years ago. And good luck with everything!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
Dmu thats not quite true. You just need a letter from the owner saying you are living there. This needs to be accompanied with a copy of her ID (colour and recto-verso) and a recent utility bill - (not a a mobile phone bill). That worked for me for opening a bank and mobile phone account.
It won't be easy to acquire a utility bill in the OP's name, as she's living at her bf's and he himself must occasionally need to justify his own domicile for various reasons. It's surprising how often this is necessary. They might become joint-subscribers for the EdF and France Télécom (Orange) landline (if they have one), but the Contracts would have to be amended.
I think the OP is in the UK at the moment, as she hasn't posted for over a week....
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
It won't be easy to acquire a utility bill in the OP's name, as she's living at her bf's and he himself must occasionally need to justify his own domicile for various reasons. It's surprising how often this is necessary. They might become joint-subscribers for the EdF and France Télécom (Orange) landline (if they have one), but the Contracts would have to be amended.
I think the OP is in the UK at the moment, as she hasn't posted for over a week....
Sorry DMU i wasn't clear. The ID of, and bill addressed to, the person who owns/ has legal tenure on the flat.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

No the utility bill is going to be in the name of the owner / tenant, it needs to tie up with his ID.
I had all this rigmarole when I first bought my house here but I wanted to keep it as a résidence secondaire to start off with, but I didn't have my own place in the UK (campervans don't count apparently). So I got an attestation d'hébergement from somebody in the UK to say that I was staying with him, together with utility bills in his name. Plus there was the added complication that he doesn't have a passport since he never goes abroad, so he provided a copy of his driving licence instead; try explaining to a French bank that in the UK a person is not actually obliged to possess a passport or an identity card... in the end I think they were just so confused, especially with it being a Welsh address full of double-L's and double-d's and y's, that they lost the will to argue any more.

Edit - sorry TH, posts crossed.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

No the utility bill is going to be in the name of the owner / tenant, it needs to tie up with his ID.
exactly!
in the end I think they were just so confused, especially with it being a Welsh address full of double-L's and double-d's and y's, that they lost the will to argue any more.
I miss my welsh language driving licence. it used to drive officials in the UK and abroad potty :-)
Old Mar 29th 2016, 9:29 am
Just Joined

kvignard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Becky,

I would like to send you a private message but, as this is my first post, I am restricted! I came to France at the end of 2014 (after 4 years of flying between the UK and France every other weekend). I completely understand what you are going through. I have literally pulled my hair out at every turn over here - the administration, way of life and obstacles that get thrown our way just add to the challenge of feeling a million miles away from home. My boyfriend is also French, hence why I am here and although my understanding of French is now pretty good, I'm certainly not fluent. I am also very shy which doesn't help, I know!

Please feel free to private message me if you want to chat. I am quite well rehearsed with the ways of life over here now and would be happy to help, if I can. Until then, I will post some more so I can send a private message! Kelly
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

becky2701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I've been MIA! I've been in England for a week with my family having some much needed "me" time! Flying back tomorrow morning feeling very bittersweet! Although feeling much more positive about things!

Thank you all for your messages and your suggestions! I've managed to get 4 months insurance in France then after I have to convert my car to French plates and Carte grise? So I'm going ahead with that while deciding what to do with my car, I'm thinking to sell would be easier however I know for a fact I wouldn't get even nearly as good as a car as I have now! So feeling a bit in limbo but we will see what time brings.

As for the medical I need to look into that more. It seems such a nightmare trying to get the right solution but I'm noticing France isn't exactly a straight forward place!

For now I'm going to try harder with learning the language and see what the next few months bring! Hopefully a little job to get the bf off my back haha

Thanks again guys!