Reload this Page >

Looking for a job in France from England

Looking for a job in France from England

Old Sep 17th 2018, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Marcus890 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a job in France from England

Hi guys, I have a few questions but I will only ask 2 today lol

I speak more than basic french and my wife is From Paris. So the language is not the problem,We both live in London with our 2 year old and want to move to Lyon ASAP. Already have around £4000 saved up but we are not to sure on what we need to rent a property. Could we just turn up in Lyon tomorrow on a 1 way ticket to France and find somewhere for the 3 of us?

2nd question is we can live with her family in Normandy but they have made it very clear we MUST HAVE A JOB before going there. Which seems to be a problem looking for one still living in England. What’s a good website or place to look on the internet for a job in France?

Thanks in advance

marcus
Old Sep 17th 2018, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for a job in France from England

Go ask Mr Macron, he seems to know where to look for jobs. Seriously though, it depends on what type of job you are looking for and what type of qualifications you have. Most basic or entry level jobs will put you in competition with just about everyone else and limit you to SMIC rates. If you have a qualification or the right knowledge it will still put you in competition with lots of others and not get you much of a better rate. In both cases I would say that most employers will be hesitant to take on someone who is not already living in the right country and ready to start. If you are a highly qualified professional with good solid experience and contacts in an in-demand industry there is more of a chance that you can arrange it before travelling.

I would say you are better off negotiating a longer term deal on a holiday let to start off with, then when you have found a job and have some pay slips to show you can use them to get a normal rental. I would agree with Macron, there are lots of jobs available if you are not too picky and willing to persevere, especially in the big cities but be prepared to think laterally and not just send out cvs through the official channels, most of which will not even send a reply. They might not all be your dream job but if you try hard enough you will find them - my son has always found student jobs and work placements even when everyone around says how it is impossible.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by south_bound
Go ask Mr Macron, he seems to know where to look for jobs. Seriously though, it depends on what type of job you are looking for and what type of qualifications you have. Most basic or entry level jobs will put you in competition with just about everyone else and limit you to SMIC rates. If you have a qualification or the right knowledge it will still put you in competition with lots of others and not get you much of a better rate. In both cases I would say that most employers will be hesitant to take on someone who is not already living in the right country and ready to start. If you are a highly qualified professional with good solid experience and contacts in an in-demand industry there is more of a chance that you can arrange it before travelling.

I would say you are better off negotiating a longer term deal on a holiday let to start off with, then when you have found a job and have some pay slips to show you can use them to get a normal rental. I would agree with Macron, there are lots of jobs available if you are not too picky and willing to persevere, especially in the big cities but be prepared to think laterally and not just send out cvs through the official channels, most of which will not even send a reply. They might not all be your dream job but if you try hard enough you will find them - my son has always found student jobs and work placements even when everyone around says how it is impossible.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I have a CSCS labourers construction card

i have a security badge (the highest grade available) with a large amount of experience in many sectors

experiance in cleaning hotels in london and a cleaner at Heathrow airport.

Delivery driver ver in and around London

Im willing to any job but I know that certificates hold so much value in France so it may be a problem

maybe my best bet is my wife getting a job first as she’s a qualified hairdresser and a native french speaker.
im trying to hold on to hope but it feels like it could be a incredibly hard process getting started in any part of France. I think luck must play a large part in all this.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I had to smile last week. The billboard for the local newspaper proudly announced: EIGHT jobs advertised on our job page this week. (That is in Normandy. Your relatives in Normandy may have seen the same billboard.)
I know that the local papers aren't the main conduit for jobseeking these days but even so, eight??!! I bet one is for a butcher, the always seem to be advertising for qualified butchers round here. Are you a butcher? If not I think south_bound is right - get a long term holiday let, because permanent lets don't like taking tenants without a permanent job contract, and come over and job hunt hard. Spend time looking at the online jobsites before you come to get a feel for what jobs are available in what areas so you don't end up renting in a job desert. Look on indeed.fr, the pole emploi, agency websites, whatever; get on google; being able to use your own initiative and find where to look, is part of the battle...
And no, please don't turn up in Lyon with a 2 year old with nowhere to stay, that would be both daft and irresponsible IMHO. Would you turn up like that in a UK city with nowhere to stay?

PS posts crossed, I see you're not a qualified butcher. Shame!
Old Sep 17th 2018, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marcus890
I think luck must play a large part in all this.
Don't despair, it can be done but you are right it may not be easy..
And it's a funny thing, but the people who usually get all the luck are often the ones who have tried hardest...
Old Sep 17th 2018, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Marcus890
Im willing to any job but I know that certificates hold so much value in France so it may be a problem
Not just any qualification, but FRENCH qualifications. CSCS cards won't recognised in France and most construction workers will have some sort of Bac Pro trade qualification, even for just for labouring. However, this is where you need to approach things differently, maybe by approaching some local builders and offering to do a trial session, or setting yourself up as a micro-entrepreneur and doing small contracts to start with. Much of the this is to do with getting known and setting up a local reputation for yourself, which takes time.

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Don't despair, it can be done but you are right it may not be easy..
And it's a funny thing, but the people who usually get all the luck are often the ones who have tried hardest...
Totally agree - you make your own luck and it doesn't normally just fall from the sky.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Marcus,
Welcome to the forum.
Why the big rush to France?
What do you think that France will give you that the UK doesn't?
Have you considered another part of the UK instead of London?
I would suggest that either you or your wife should try to arrange employment before you move.
If you get it wrong then it could cost you your £4k.
For you, I would suggest that you search for UK companies who operate in France.
Good luck
Old Sep 17th 2018, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Some good feedback in here, I think judging by the comments me and my wife probably go down the route of....

my wife getting a job in Normandie or around there. She has some,,, recogniseable certificates so to say that will get her further than me and plus french is her first language so she’s already a big leap ahead of me.

whilst she is working i will study/collage in France (I will pay of course) for some sort of level of certificates or work experiance to get me on my feet then go from their. I like to be realistic and I knew nothing along this journey was going to get handed to me at all but there is always that little bit in the back of your mind convincing you it will be easy. After reading all your comments it has reassured me that I will need to put a crazy amount of effort in for very little gain which has possibley hit home a bit more than I thought but I’m ready for it! See what the next few months bring eh
Old Sep 17th 2018, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi Marcus,
Welcome to the forum.
Why the big rush to France?
What do you think that France will give you that the UK doesn't?
Have you considered another part of the UK instead of London?
I would suggest that either you or your wife should try to arrange employment before you move.
If you get it wrong then it could cost you your £4k.
For you, I would suggest that you search for UK companies who operate in France.
Good luck

Hey man,
yes I am born and bread London and we have just ventured out to the north 340miles away but it’s not about what France can give me that enagland can’t, it’s more political. No matter where I go in the uk my problems are with the system here and how it has treated my family in regards to personal issues. I just don’t want to be apart of this place anymore, but instead of just sitting at home complaining I am trying to do somthing about It. And the reason we picked France is because my wife has 6/7 family members out there that could be a little cushion for us. And we also speak the language. So it sort of makes sense I guess, With her being half french half Algerian we also have opportunités in Algeria but that’s a wholeeeeee différant post topic.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just be aware that the French system isn't perfect either. A lot of people don't agree with Macron's policies. Though people tend to get out on the streets and demonstrate, often disrupting life for everyone in the process - strikes, snails, whatever - rather than sit at home complaining.
Do you agree with how things are in France and with Macron's new policies? Frying pans and fires and all that.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Sep 17th 2018 at 10:04 am.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 12:05 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

If you move to France and are most likely going to be working at around the minimum wage "Simc" then aim for supermarkets for work, a large percentage of them offer primes de participation "bonus" based on the stores profit normally paid in summer and something that catches brit's unaware the 13th month in december you basically get paid twice once before Christmas and again as the month rolls over which helps no end in January obviously when the big bill's come in But for both the Prime and 13th Month you have to have been at the company on the 1st of January so if you start mid year you get both the following year. Aim for the bigger supermarkets.

Remember in France you have to work a year normally before you get any holiday.

In some respects the UK is a picnic compared to the working aspects of France, I am constantly amazed at what employers can get away with here, people will claim they have rights and the inspection du travail will sort it out but in reality an employer might grind you into the ground until you demission "Quit via registered post" losing your rights chômage "Unemployment benefit" or go off sick and the médecine du travail terminates your contractor the basis of inaptitude and you retain your chômage rights. You can abandon your post here as well which can help you retain your rights to chômage with Pôle employ "Job Centre and DHSS" but it comes with risks your employer might not fire you for being absent or just wait as long as they can because your not getting paid and you can't sign on until your contract is terminated.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Sep 17th 2018 at 12:11 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

CS your post reminded me of that British lass who wrote a book about being a supermarket cashier in France and got her five minutes of fame, well probably a bit longer than five minutes but I haven't heard any more about her since. Anyone else remember her? Was there any follow up, did the film ever get made?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...st-seller.html
EDIT - having quickly read my own link, it looks like she's not British at all. Memory playing tricks again!

Last edited by EuroTrash; Sep 17th 2018 at 1:25 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 5:44 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
CS your post reminded me of that British lass who wrote a book about being a supermarket cashier in France and got her five minutes of fame, well probably a bit longer than five minutes but I haven't heard any more about her since. Anyone else remember her? Was there any follow up, did the film ever get made?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...st-seller.html
EDIT - having quickly read my own link, it looks like she's not British at all. Memory playing tricks again!
It's an easy industry to join here and you will take home more than gîte's offer probably......