Reload this Page >

Looking for help with holiday in France

Looking for help with holiday in France

Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

altyfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for help with holiday in France

Hi

I've left it late (I know, I know..!) trying to find somewhere good in France for the summer holidays. Here's what we're after...

- something at the luxury end of the market
- self-catering preferably
- in a nice location with plenty to see/do, nice places to eat, markets... that kind of thing
- somewhere that's not tooooooo far a drive (ie. not South of France) because we'll be driving from the north of England
- somewhere that has good facilities for children/families - our boys will be 6 and 4 at the time of travel (a swimming pool or nearby beach essential!)

We've previously holidayed in Brittany in the last few years - once at La Foret Fousenant (where the accommodation was a bit of a disaster) and once at Morgat (where the accommodation was OK, but still nothing special)

As far as dates are concerned, we would be looking at either end of August (probably little chance of finding somewhere good for then) or right at the beginning of July (hopefully a bit more chance, before most schools break up and hopefully when prices are fractionally lower, too).

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:17 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for help with holiday in France

Originally Posted by altyfc
Hi

I've left it late (I know, I know..!) trying to find somewhere good in France for the summer holidays. Here's what we're after...

- in a nice location with plenty to see/do, nice places to eat, markets... that kind of thing
- somewhere that's not tooooooo far a drive (ie. not South of France) because we'll be driving from the north of England
- somewhere that has good facilities for children/families - our boys will be 6 and 4 at the time of travel (a swimming pool or nearby beach essential!)

We've previously holidayed in Brittany in the last few years - once at La Foret Fousenant (where the accommodation was a bit of a disaster) and once at Morgat (where the accommodation was OK, but still nothing special)

As far as dates are concerned, we would be looking at either end of August (probably little chance of finding somewhere good for then) or right at the beginning of July (hopefully a bit more chance, before most schools break up and hopefully when prices are fractionally lower, too).

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks a lot.
When you say luxury, How much are you willing to spend?

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Apr 30th 2010 at 6:20 am.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks a lot.
Hi, be aware that the French school holidays start the first weekend in July, meaning that prices are high from then until the beginning of September...
Good luck in your search (I'm too far South for you to recommend anything local)
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks, both of you.

Up to about 2,000 euros max, in answer to your question.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

As mentioned, school holidays start in July, but August is by far the busiest month for French holidays.

That is a very broad search you have set!! I would suggest perhaps choosing an area first and then researching. If you don't want to drive too far, how about Pays de la Loire or Poitou-Charentes regions. Both have Atlantic coast resorts and plenty of things to do and see. Futuroscope theme park is in the Poitou-Charentes if you like that kind of thing.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Thank you, Martin... Brittany would probably be our preferred choice as we have enjoyed previous holidays there, but I'm finding it difficult to find anywhere nice with availability. I wouldn't rule out other destinations such as Loire, Normandy, etc. - for me, it's more about finding a nice property for us than necessarily the location. We'll happily explore wherever we end up.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

racaille is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have thought your best bet is to go onto a site like Holiday Rentals which shows availability immediately and pick something that pleases you in an area that suits you. But prices won't be hugely cheaper in July, as mentioned above.

I spent a summer week in Normandy once. It rained all day, every single day.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by racaille
I'd have thought your best bet is to go onto a site like Holiday Rentals which shows availability immediately and pick something that pleases you in an area that suits you. But prices won't be hugely cheaper in July, as mentioned above.

I spent a summer week in Normandy once. It rained all day, every single day.
Yep, Normandy and Brittany can have very similar weather to the UK. At least by coming a bit further south there is more chance of getting sun.

Plenty of holiday rental sites. Search Googlefor holiday accommodation in your chosen area. There are loads to choose from so must be something just right for you. Make a short list and email the owners to see if they provide what you want.

Happy hunting!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Martin Parker
Yep, Normandy and Brittany can have very similar weather to the UK. At least by coming a bit further south there is more chance of getting sun.

Plenty of holiday rental sites. Search Googlefor holiday accommodation in your chosen area. There are loads to choose from so must be something just right for you. Make a short list and email the owners to see if they provide what you want.

Happy hunting!
Thanks, guy... certainly plenty of properties. It's finding them with availability that's the problem. Will give the holiday rentals site a try - that might help me on that front - thanks.
Old May 4th 2010, 9:52 am
Just Joined

kjs5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks a lot.
I am asking around if i hear i will post a link - is there just the 4 of you ?? and for 1 or 2 weeks
Old May 4th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Try here

http://www.pv-holidays.com/vendee-ch...ental_306-2_fp
Old May 4th 2010, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

try here

http://www.loire-gites.com/gites.asp

heron is available 3rd to 10th of July and hibou has both dates you want

I think it would be ideal for your children also (the owners are great)

also if you go early july it is mid season so cheaper as well

http://www.loire-gites.com/pricing.asp

K

Last edited by kjs5; May 4th 2010 at 1:37 pm.
Old May 4th 2010, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Also this one, its in Charente Maritime travel times are

4.5 hours Caen, 5.5 hours Le Havre 7 hours Calais

they have the 28th of august free

http://www.white-shutters.co.uk/
Old May 4th 2010, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

and if you want Normandy check this site

has availbilty early July

http://luxurynormandygite.com/luxury-gites-normandy/

in both his gites

hope this has helped

k
Old May 4th 2010, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

laura644 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, If you are willing to travel a little bit further to South West France I know of a very well equiped self catering two bedroom apartment in the beautiful town of Saint-Jean-de-Luz. I know you said you would be driving but if you would consider flying there are lots of low cost flights into Biarritz with Ryanair and Easyjet. It is a great location on the footsteps of the Pyrenees and a short distance from the Spanish border. The beach is a few minutes walk away.

Here is the website if you are interested www.stjeandeluz.net

Laura

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.