Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Live near Lille and work in London: any experience?

Live near Lille and work in London: any experience?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:07 am
Just Joined

roupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Live near Lille and work in London: any experience?

Hi, I'm leaving near Lille (Belgian limit) and I'm considering positions in London. I'm wondering if anyone had experiences of living in Lille and travelling to London every day for work (eurostar)? It's only 1h20 away from Lille. To give you an idea, I'm currently working in Brussels and it takes me > 1h30 to join Brussels everyday.

My area of competence is business analyst in financial markets (IT oriented). Good level of English.
I'm looking for people having experienced this type of life: how they did organise their time knowing that they have to take Eurostar everyday at night (possibility to work in the train/ at home). Easy to find a job near the Eurostar station? Did your company pay your travel expenses?

Thank you very much in advance.

Seb
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live near Lille and work in London: any experience?

Originally Posted by roupin
Hi, I'm leaving near Lille (Belgian limit) and I'm considering positions in London. I'm wondering if anyone had experiences of living in Lille and travelling to London every day for work (eurostar)? It's only 1h20 away from Lille. To give you an idea, I'm currently working in Brussels and it takes me > 1h30 to join Brussels everyday.

My area of competence is business analyst in financial markets (IT oriented). Good level of English.
I'm looking for people having experienced this type of life: how they did organise their time knowing that they have to take Eurostar everyday at night (possibility to work in the train/ at home). Easy to find a job near the Eurostar station? Did your company pay your travel expenses?

Thank you very much in advance.

Seb
Hi Seb,welcome to the forum
Whilst we don't live near Lille, we are in Normandy and I used to work as a nurse in Portsmouth, UK, so would commute. Used to love it, meant I had the best of both worlds.
I know it has become very popular for mainly UK citizens to live in France and work in UK and it is a feasible way of life. Not sure how many companies would pay travel expenses for it though.