Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Little treasures found in your french house...

Wikiposts

Little treasures found in your french house...

Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little treasures found in your french house...

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Too late!
Good point.

Just in case a passing expert cares to comment, I think the jewel in the crown of the book collection is a presumably obscure volume by a French left liberal intellectual named (quite exotically) Pierre Lhoste-Lachaume. He wrote a treatise called "Realisme et Serenite, Synthese Practique de Pense et d'Action" published by Librairie Felix Alcan in 1936.

What makes this copy stand out is that is inscribed "A Mademoiselle ****** homage de l'auteur" and signed and dated 18 Mai 1940.

I've only found 1 copy of this edition for sale online and that one is worth 97 euro. This one as said is signed and in excellent condition.

Anyone?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:29 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I forgot the light fittings! We have 6 crystal chandeliers and a couple of "rustic" wood fittings. They've all now been rewired and they cleaned up nicely.

This one is arguably the nicest....
The wooden light fitting had to go, It resembled a set piece from the Shining.
Old May 11th 2013, 3:13 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd add to this thread given the reference to books found. I posted elsewhere we are switching life more back to UK, so we raided our bookshelves to pack them away, prior to renting the house for summer holidays.

My SOH came across a reprint of a book passed to us on the death of her dad (served in Burma). I know it's a reprint 'cos it's marked at £4.99 and dated 2005. But its title is Instructions for 'British Servicemen in France 1944'.

I want to share some very smiley bits.

Under Words and Phrases (Difficulties and Enquiries) it is written: 'What nationality are? Are you French? German?'. To help our lads it offers the French pronunciation phonetically: 'Der kell nass-ee-onalitay ate voo? Ate voo Fronsay? Allmon?'

On the back cover there are three extracts:
' ... If you should happen that the first pretty French girl who smiles at you intends to dance the can-can or take you to bed, you will risk stirring up a lot of trouble for yourself - and for our relations with the French ...'
'... Don't drink yourself silly. If you get the chance to drink wine, learn to 'take it' ...'
'... The French are more polite than most of us. remember to call them Monsieur, Madame, Mademoiselle, not just 'Oy' ...'

I have to say I resemble the pronunciation element ...
Old May 11th 2013, 3:41 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Thought I'd add to this thread given the reference to books found. I posted elsewhere we are switching life more back to UK, so we raided our bookshelves to pack them away, prior to renting the house for summer holidays.

My SOH came across a reprint of a book passed to us on the death of her dad (served in Burma). I know it's a reprint 'cos it's marked at £4.99 and dated 2005. But its title is Instructions for 'British Servicemen in France 1944'.

I want to share some very smiley bits.

Under Words and Phrases (Difficulties and Enquiries) it is written: 'What nationality are? Are you French? German?'. To help our lads it offers the French pronunciation phonetically: 'Der kell nass-ee-onalitay ate voo? Ate voo Fronsay? Allmon?'

On the back cover there are three extracts:
' ... If you should happen that the first pretty French girl who smiles at you intends to dance the can-can or take you to bed, you will risk stirring up a lot of trouble for yourself - and for our relations with the French ...'
'... Don't drink yourself silly. If you get the chance to drink wine, learn to 'take it' ...'
'... The French are more polite than most of us. remember to call them Monsieur, Madame, Mademoiselle, not just 'Oy' ...'

I have to say I resemble the pronunciation element ...
A side note I found a WWII US Army service mans map of France at boot fair here for 3 euros.
Old May 11th 2013, 3:50 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
A side note I found a WWII US Army service mans map of France at boot fair here for 3 euros.
Brilliant. I need to look harder for that kind of material. I neglected to say the book, plus another on true stories of WW2 and one on Tudor dynasty, will be be donated to a French friend, who loves English history and who has a fascination with all things military, esp. WW2.
Old May 11th 2013, 4:07 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by cjm
Brilliant. I need to look harder for that kind of material. I neglected to say the book, plus another on true stories of WW2 and one on Tudor dynasty, will be be donated to a French friend, who loves English history and who has a fascination with all things military, esp. WW2.
I have been collecting the two forms of French currency from the war as well having a peak in the coin pots is always worth while.
Old May 11th 2013, 4:11 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
I have been collecting the two forms of French currency from the war as well having a peak in the coin pots is always worth while.
That is spooky, not for me, but my French friend is an avid collection of mint banknotes; we had to get him a £50 one from our UK bank.