Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Let them eat cake

Let them eat cake

Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Default Let them eat cake

We bake all of our bread at home and save quite a bit of money. Now that we are planning a move to France, how much does a kilo of strong white flour (plain) cost? A kilo of blé noir? These are the two we use most, strong white and fine rye. Any info? Thanks in advance.
Blackie
PS anybody else into bread baking?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:02 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let them eat cake

Hiya Blackie

Can't help with the cost of flour, but i would say it isn't prohibitively expensive. I too love bread-making, it's great. Choosing a recipe, getting all the ingredients out, sticking it in the bread-maker, and reading for 3 hours while the paddle churns etc. Love it!

Joking aside, I also love making it "by hand" but although I simply adore cooking, I just don't seem to ever be lucky. Things just go wrong, no matter how simple or difficult, and I have gone so far as to ban cook books with pictures cos mine never even resembles the photo of the finished article. I do it mainly for the pleasure and often chuck whatever hideous concoction appears as a result down the loo or on the compost. We are getting chickens mainly so they can hoover up my mistakes - but the whole point is to have fun really.

It's the kneading bit I can't get the hang of, no matter how much of it I do and whatever way I do it, it don't work, so any tips would be welcome. Have got about 8 wonderful books all dedicated to bread-making though

Perhaps in France it will happen and we will be able to eat one of them (not the chickens, my home-made loaves!)
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hiya Andy!
Gotta recommend a great bread book by a Breton (!) fella named Bertinet. The books, in English, is called 'Dough' and gives you all the lowdown on kneading (book comes with a neat little DVD showing you how the master does it). Simple recipes and they come out great I can guarantee. You get Baguettes, Pain Baucaire, Fougasse and all the other famous French breads. I've tried it with strong white flour from Sweden and the results a really good. Well worth the money. You can google his website through his surname Bertinet. Give it a go!
Blackie
Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Hiya Andy!
Gotta recommend a great bread book by a Breton (!) fella named Bertinet. The books, in English, is called 'Dough' and gives you all the lowdown on kneading (book comes with a neat little DVD showing you how the master does it). Simple recipes and they come out great I can guarantee. You get Baguettes, Pain Baucaire, Fougasse and all the other famous French breads. I've tried it with strong white flour from Sweden and the results a really good. Well worth the money. You can google his website through his surname Bertinet. Give it a go!
Blackie
It sounds to me that anyone who's into bread really kneads that book..........
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:37 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
It sounds to me that anyone who's into bread really kneads that book..........
I can't help but rise to the bait...
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:29 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

We sometimes buy ready kneaded dough from our friends the boulangers in the village. When using the bread oven, it's less time consuming (not to mention cheaper) to buy from them. They're proffesionel and the dough is 'pukka'. We buy 4 or 5 kilos at a time. They leave it in a huge plastic tray. We cover it with a tea towel and leave it to rise. Around an hour or two later - perfect bread-making dough. From 4 kilos, we can make dozens of fouée, and then when I pull the embers from the oven, we throw in plaited breads, bread rolls etc. Loads of bread. 4kilos of this dough will cost us around €3!

Smells fantastic, and tastes brilliant!
Attached Thumbnails Let them eat cake-breadweb.jpg   Let them eat cake-img_5719.jpg  
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:06 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Drat, I'm really hungry now. We bought some Tiger bread from Tescos yesterday and the wretched wonderful stuff smells marvllous but it's got something addictive in it I swear, cos you can't stop till it's gone.

Blackie, I am definitely going to buy that book and the DVD sounds a brillo idea as it is the kneading that foxes me - the movements and how hard-soft to be with it. I always thought one belted dough about like a couple of wrestlers on the WWW, but that can't be right as my sad efforts to date will attest to, so I will watch that DVD and get the hang of it if it kills me. The people at work used to knickname me "Ria" after that woman in Butterflies - most of you are too young to remember, but she could make gravy that was classed as an Offensive Weapon.

Stu, that could well be a great alternativ for Sad Cases like me - I will xplore that once we get there and if M Bertinet's book fails to train me up. Still, at least we will have the fattest chickens in Brittany ..........

PS Apologies for any missing "e's" in my posts for a bit, as OH melted the keyboard the other day with a spotlight so we dragged an old knackerd one out of the loft!!! Still remember the mortification of missing letters when I first worked for a solicitor in Exeter and left the "l" out of Public Highway on a search I sent to Plymouth