Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Leave La Belle France ?

Leave La Belle France ?

Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leave La Belle France ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...box=1555579180

We are seeing more caess ;like this. Meanwhile the ghastly Farage continues his career as a EU politician !
Old Apr 18th 2019, 4:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leave La Belle France ?

Originally Posted by scot47
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...box=1555579180

We are seeing more caess ;like this. Meanwhile the ghastly Farage continues his career as a EU politician !
I've seen this on another forum. The parents in question apparently didn't do their homework before they came, and unfortunately are blaming their problems on others....
Old Apr 18th 2019, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It's a sad story but I'm not sure she's helping her cause by splashing it over the national dailys. Although it probably makes her feel better when she reads messages of support and solidarity from people who don't know the ins and outs and who take her word for it that she's been unfairly treated. But at the end of the day, rules is rules, in this case there's no excuse for not knowing them because they are all very clearly set out on the French government website, also there are forums like this where folks will try and help, and at the end of the day you can't really blame France for applying the criteria they say they apply. Plus, either something got lost in the telling or she is putting a spin on things or she still hasn't fully understood what's required, because some of what's said in the article isn't entirely accurate.

But it's a shame and yes I share your feelings about Farage and his ilk.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 5:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
..... Plus, either something got lost in the telling or she is putting a spin on things or she still hasn't fully understood what's required, because some of what's said in the article isn't entirely accurate. ....
Which us pretty much always the case when mainstream media reports on matters of immigration - either there are glaring inconsistencies, or big chunks of the story are missing such that it is impossible to make sense of what is being described given the actual laws and regulations.

FWIW I support the right of the French government to determine who is allowed to live in France.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 18th 2019 at 5:10 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

'Ghastly' is a word that sums him up well. Just his body language makes my stomach turn. If I was a Brexiteer he's the last person I'd back. Just look at most photos of him, a joker of a politician - which makes for a dangerous cocktail. The French have a superb word for characters such as this. A Guignol.
A veritable purveyor of bad information and snake oil.......
https://www.garybarker.co.uk/files/B...oon-Farage.jpg

Fwiw, I was watching a tv debate the other week between twelve French EU parliament candidates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_E...tion_in_France
Without going into detail, it was interesting to note that 4 of the 12 were strongly in favour of a Frexit. To say that that there was a fair amount of disagreement and friction between most of these French candidates would be an understatement, which got me thinking. With the arguements, friction and frustration observed between those candiates, how the hell can Brussels currently with 750ish members from 28 different member states with their language and cultural differences come to satisfactory, meaningful decisions.
I'd be the first to agree that the Brussels parliament is a monster that desperately needs taming, but wanting to pull out with a Brexit or Frexit imho is a drastic decision and far from the best solution.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 18th 2019 at 5:09 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ravitarvan
hey can any one help me how to create my own post
Your own post, or your own thread?

If you mean "thread", and it relates to France click here, then click on the brown button toward the top left corner of the screen.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a conversation with 2 different people on different occasions who thought that the EU had "freedom of movement" which allows you to live in any other EU country.
I pointed out to them that it was freedom of movement for employment and that there were restrictions on those that didn't fit the criteria.
I showed them the part that says that there is a right to remain for 3 months without meeting the criteria.
They were both surprised and neither of them were aware of these criteria.
One of them actually worked in Paris for 7 years.
I have a certain sympathy for those who aren't aware of it.
However, if you go to live in another country you really should try find out the pros and cons of living in that country.
A good way to do that is to post on BE.
The same rules apply in the UK to immigrants from other EU countries but the UK does little to enforce the rules.
David Cameron could have changed the rules regarding the right to claim benefits in the UK in 2010 which probably would have solved many of the issues that lead to the referendum.
In Ireland, you cannot claim benefits for 2 years from the date you arrive / return to the country unless you are in employment and paying into the system.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 7:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We should post that article as a sticky.
I'm sure there are loads of Brits living under the radar who will get an unpleasant surprise.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
In Ireland, you cannot claim benefits for 2 years from the date you arrive / return to the country unless you are in employment and paying into the system.
Not entirely true.
If you work in Ireland and pay at least one Class A PRSI contribution, your social insurance contributionspaid in another EU/EEA country can help you qualify for a social insurance payment such as Illness Benefit or Jobseeker.s Benefit. You should bring a record of your social insurance contributions using forms E104 and U1 (formerly E301) which you can get from your local social security office. If you have been getting unemployment benefit for 4 weeks, you may transfer it to Ireland for up to 3 months if you bring a completed form U2 (formerly E303). Certain other social security benefits from another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland may also be transferred to Ireland, but not means-tested payments. The European Economic Area consists of the member states of the European Union, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. You should check with the social security agency in the country where you live.Equal treatment

When looking for work abroad, you have the same rights as nationals of your host country with regard to:
  • access to work
  • support from employment services
  • financial support to help you find work

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 19th 2019 at 8:31 am.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification.
The point was that the UK government could have made it more difficult for "benefits tourism" - especially for means-tested benefits.
Certain UK newspapers highlighted stories of foreign nationals getting access to UK benefits and housing.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that we cannot rely on newspaper stories. Even the so-called "serious" newspapers so often get it wrong !
Old Apr 19th 2019, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Thanks for the clarification.
The point was that the UK government could have made it more difficult for "benefits tourism" - especially for means-tested benefits.
Certain UK newspapers highlighted stories of foreign nationals getting access to UK benefits and housing.
I agree but then again the same stories are told here and when I read the news in Germany, it's no different than the UK. For example in Germany you can claim child benefit from the first day you arrive:
€194 for the first 2 children, €200 for the third child and €225 for every further child. They even get the money if the kids are actually still in their home country.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 10:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

In January this year, officials (UK & Hungarian) published an estimate of 2000 British residents remaining unregistered, despite calls for at least 12 months prior for British citizens to register. Several months on (& post the original brexit date) it will be interesting to see how many remain unregistered - & what the consequences may be.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:51 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really struggling to see how this particular situation is Farage's fault, however inaccurately the original linked-to article may have painted it.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Farage was at the forefront of the irrational Europhobia behind the referendum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.