Reload this Page >

Learning the language

Learning the language

Old Oct 24th 2022, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Lobandrou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning the language

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good learning CD that I can listen to in the car? Looking for a listen and repeat type of thing, starting off pretty basic and getting more advanced.

How have you all found the best way to learn French? I've seen a few Apps and obviously there are books and CD's but just wondered what you found was the most useful ?

Thanks, Rob
Old Oct 24th 2022, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning the language

For a structured CD course Michel Thomas is probably the best.However you will need to do more than listening to a CD in the car because you cannot concentrate on taking it in.
Therefore you will need to put time aside every day when do some French,as your brain and the learning functions change as you get older.A child can absorb so much that an adult cannot and the patterns of the English language seared into your brain can become a barrier to learning any Romance language so my advice would be to go for structure couple with a good verb and grammar book
Old Oct 24th 2022, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
For a structured CD course Michel Thomas is probably the best.However you will need to do more than listening to a CD in the car because you cannot concentrate on taking it in.
I played my partner a bit of Michel Thomas Italian. She was a bit dismissive saying she doubted Thomas could even speak Italian. .He is very keen on modal verbs.. It is certainly more difficult to remember vocab as you get older. There is a lot of good stuff on youtube these days.
Old Oct 24th 2022, 11:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Therefore you will need to put time aside every day when do some French,as your brain and the learning functions change as you get older.A child can absorb so much that an adult cannot and the patterns of the English language seared into your brain can become a barrier to learning any Romance language so my advice would be to go for structure couple with a good verb and grammar book
I have his tapes in Spanish. His voice used to send me to sleep so not suitable to listen to whilst driving!!!!!

Rosemary